Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Need help with broken PS3

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My best friend's PS3 just died and he tells me he believes it to be the "yellow light of death." Is there any way to recover his saved game data? I don't know anything about PS3 (I don't own any current consoles) and am just asking this question on his behalf to a community I trust with this kind of stuff.

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

Not really, unless you try reflowing the PS3. I didn't have too much luck when I tried it (PS3 only booted for about 20 minutes) but I also didn't use a proper heat gun either.

The PS3 also uses some proprietary file system on the hard drive that isn't recognized when you connect it to a computer. Not to mention the data is locked to the console it was formatted on, so you can't even pop the drive into a working PS3 to get data off.

If your friend REALLY wants to get those saves off, the only option would be to try a reflow and back up the data when the system boots again. I wouldn't use the system after reflowing as it's bound to need it again. It's not a permanent fix, unfortunately.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By irrelevantjohn

Unless your friend has PS+, then I don't think he can get his game saves back.

The only other method I can see is what LiquidSaiyan3 suggested or see if the PS3 can boot up for at least 5 mins. and try to back it up to a USB stick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.