Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 disc drive not working?!

WizardHowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By WizardHowl

I stopped using my PS3 for about maybe 3 months, just because I was busy with other things. So this previous weekend I go to insert LittleBigPlanet and the XMB loading icon in the top right corner does its thing but the game fails to show up. on the interface. Tried playing a game I downloaded and it worked. Inserted a movie into the drive, nope didn't work.

Luckily I have 2 PS3s. But really pisses me off that my LAUNCH unit has stopped working.

Do I call Sony? It isn't like the warranty is still active, so I assume they wouldn't do anything. I've thought maybe about cleaning the disc drive some how. Any suggestions?

WizardHowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By WizardHowl

I stopped using my PS3 for about maybe 3 months, just because I was busy with other things. So this previous weekend I go to insert LittleBigPlanet and the XMB loading icon in the top right corner does its thing but the game fails to show up. on the interface. Tried playing a game I downloaded and it worked. Inserted a movie into the drive, nope didn't work.

Luckily I have 2 PS3s. But really pisses me off that my LAUNCH unit has stopped working.

Do I call Sony? It isn't like the warranty is still active, so I assume they wouldn't do anything. I've thought maybe about cleaning the disc drive some how. Any suggestions?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

This hasn't happened to me,but I assume they will fix it for a price if you call them even without warranty.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By FCKSNAP

Yea my 80 gig stopped reading anything that comes on regular 'ol CDs. I do see replacement drives on Amazon, and having replaced my PSP's screen, I can say the parts should be legit if you feel like voiding the warranty you don't have anyway. I got mine from Circuit City last year so I wouldn't be able to prove I have a warranty.

WizardHowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WizardHowl

Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably see how much it costs if I do it through Sony and also check out a replacement drive.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BawlZINmotion

If your system is out of warranty (which it is) Sony will replace the drive for $150. Just make sure you backup all the content on the HDD you want to keep.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.