Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 overheating?

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By chililili

Hey so I live in a pretty warm place in Mexico have had the ps3 working for 2 full years now, no problem at all. The overheating fan is always on though the entire year except on winter because its pretty warm here. I've had no problems but I've always been rather worried about that. Anyone live in south florida/texas somewhere warm where just normal use of the ps3 in a ventilated always turns the fan on except on winter? Have you ahd any overheating issues? It gets over 100 degrees here, using the crappy Fahrenheit scale.

Avatar image for darkknightbob101
    darkknightbob101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By darkknightbob101

Stick it in a mini fridge

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By turboman

play only at nights?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

Air conditioning, I seriously run it all summer from May-September straight through to keep my electronics cool.  I have an older hdtv in my living room and it seriously raises the temp in there by 10-15 degrees after being on for half an hour. 

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chililili
    @Eisen said:
    " Do you have the PS3 in an enclosed environment or is it out in the open?  High temps are not uncommon for the PS3.  If the warranty is out, then you may want to open it up and see if there is any dust buildup on the fans that needs cleaned out with a can of compressed air. You may want to look into getting a PS3 Slim as it runs noticeably cooler and is nearly silent. "
    No its completely out in the open and playing on nights its essentially the same temperature.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Jadeskye

when i'm running high powered computers that are overheating i find a temporary solution is to get a desk fan and point it at the hardware. keeps it cool =)

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @jadeskye said:

" when i'm running high powered computers that are overheating i find a temporary solution is to get a desk fan and point it at the hardware. keeps it cool =) "

a desk fan can funnel dust right into the ps3, 

@chililili: \

try a desk made out of ice, and keep a spraycan of liquid nitrogen around. jk, iv got nothing
    Avatar image for darkknightbob101
    darkknightbob101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darkknightbob101

I agree desk fans are genereally the best ideas. Worrying about dust is like sticking your ps3 in a windtunnel and worrying about dust build up. 

Some people just take the side off their pc and stick the fan right inthere. 

Aternatively mod it and affix a liquid cooling device

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By kagekage

Why not buy one of those cooler peripherals? I've seen them in game retail stores, never heard any reviews though. 

Other than that, daily maintenance is all I can recommend.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jadeskye
    @organicalistic_ said:
    " @jadeskye said:

" when i'm running high powered computers that are overheating i find a temporary solution is to get a desk fan and point it at the hardware. keeps it cool =) "

@chililili: \   try a desk made out of ice, and keep a spraycan of liquid nitrogen around. jk, iv got nothing "
    Of course it'll increase the amount of dust. Airflow = dust. but when you're dealing with high ambient temperatures you don't have a alot of choices. short of a bootleg watercooling system for your PS3, which (apart from being insane) brings it's own problems.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @jadeskye said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    " @jadeskye said:

@chililili: \   try a desk made out of ice, and keep a spraycan of liquid nitrogen around. jk, iv got nothing "
    Of course it'll increase the amount of dust. Airflow = dust. but when you're dealing with high ambient temperatures you don't have a alot of choices. short of a bootleg watercooling system for your PS3, which (apart from being insane) brings it's own problems. "
    Not if you have an ice cooling system that only cools the air right in front of the air intake holes. 
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DystopiaX

buy a cooling pad.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jadeskye
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    " @jadeskye said:

Of course it'll increase the amount of dust. Airflow = dust. but when you're dealing with high ambient temperatures you don't have a alot of choices. short of a bootleg watercooling system for your PS3, which (apart from being insane) brings it's own problems. "
    Not if you have an ice cooling system that only cools the air right in front of the air intake holes.  "
    but then you're increasing the amount of moisture inside the system which is far more damaging then dust which can be easily removed.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @jadeskye said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    " @organicalistic_ said:
    " @jadeskye said:

Not if you have an ice cooling system that only cools the air right in front of the air intake holes.  "
    but then you're increasing the amount of moisture inside the system which is far more damaging then dust which can be easily removed. "
     that would never be problem since the water will never condense unless your putting the water cooling system straight inside the the console. I would know since I have the exact opposite problem of the temperature being freezing (like its snowing outside), and if I'm by myself, I opt to not turn on the heater but rather be surrounded by my consoles and computer. 
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jadeskye
    @StaticFalconar: i know what you mean. my computer generates so much heat i never have to use my heating in winter. 
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chililili

Mmmm I might try the whole extra fans thing if I see more problems

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Godwind

You could put a pack of ice on top to absorb the heat.  Just be sure not to get the console wet, to make sure you put it in something air tight.  You could also use a damp paper (make sure to really squeeze out the water), and place it on the surface which should also help, in addition to a fan.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Grillbar

had the same problem even though i dont live in a warm climat i had to unplug my ps3 and put it somewhere els but a good advise is take 4 small bricks of something that dont isolate heat and put your ps3 on it so its raised from the surface it is standing on (i asume its laying down instead of standing up) that way it can get "breath" a little better that did the trick for me atleast 
    i heard a rumor that the ps3 has a bigger problem "breathing" is its standing up oppuse to it laying down dont know if its true or not but heard it had someting to do with the fans. can someone confirm or denie it
    oh yearh and clean the ps3 semi often alot of dust adn things get on the fans everthing helps

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.