Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

So I just purchased a playstation 3

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ravingham91

Any suggestions for some good games? I mainly game on PC so please don't suggest anything that I can get on PC. I will play just about any genre. I bought a PS3 over an xbox so I could play Japanese games so please suggest what you think are some good Japanese games. I also never had a ps2 so if there are any great HD remakes of ps2 games please suggest those as well.

Thanks in advance and I hope you all enjoy the rest of you day :)

I have already bought and played:

Yakuza 3 & 4

Silent Hill HD Collection

Metal Gear Solid 4

Final Fantasy 13 & 13 2

Killzone 2

Devil May Cry HD Collection

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Tom_omb

First get Playstation plus and add all the current "free" games to your account. Then maybe look into these:

The Uncharted series (the single player of 3 is on PS+ right now)

The Last of Us

Journey

Ni No Kuni

Sly Cooper series

I recommend searching through the classics in the PSN store, there may be some gems in there that appeal to you going back to PS1. Quite a few deep cuts and Japanese games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I sort of envy you, duder. There are so many collections and compilations on the Ps3 that you can get for cheap that it's sort of crazy. Just searching the Ps3 section of Amazon for "collection" gives you plenty to browse.

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how does play station plus work? Can i buy it for a month and then keeps the games for ever? I'm definitely keen on the uncharted series.

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By ian280291

No if you stop paying for plus you lose access to those games, but if you sign back up you get access back. But trust me once you sign up you wont want to cancel (especially if you have a vita and/or PS4)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

Beyond the usual recommendations, there's stuff like Puppeteer that could do with a few more folks giving it a go! Could probably be bought for really cheap now, too.

Also, while you're probably planning on getting it anyway, The Last of Us must be reiterated as a PS3 recommendation. Although... if you're planning on getting a PS4, you could instead wait to get it thatta way, which'll come with the DLC, too.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Tom_omb

@ravingham91: You essentially buy the games marked currently marked for the instant game collection and they are on your account forever, but can only play them as long as you are still subscribed. You can do this on the PS3's store for PS3 and Vita games by hitting download (and canceling if you don't want to install it right away.) You'll have to go to http://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ to see the PS4 games. It's worth adding everything to your account, you never know when the next Demon's Souls comes along. An example of a game that was free on PS+ and became a cult hit later.

PS+ also offers discounts and timed trials of full versions of some games. It will be (or is now?) required for online play too. Or maybe that's for PS4 only, It's not something I keep track of being a subscriber.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modnation Racers, one of (if not the best) kart racers ever conceived. Sure it takes some time to load in the races but the racing is top notch. You get boost by doing flips, spins, or drifting and with that boost you can boost (wow, bet you didnt see that coming)or you can do what makes this game the best, use a shield to block incoming attacks. It takes some practice to get the timing right but once you do you wont be able to go back to other kart racers. Plus you can create robust tracks, karts, and characters. Man now i want to go play it myself.

Get the God of War Saga and the Ratchet and Clank Collections as well

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't subscribe to PlayStation Plus. It doesn't have that many interesting looking games. I would hate having to keep paying for the few games I liked.

Buy Demon's Souls, Shadow of the Colossus/Ico collection and MGS collection on disc.

I haven't played them, but I'm planning to eventually buy Dragon's Dogma, Zone of the Enders collection, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Bayonetta.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sterling

Valkyria Chronicles. First game I ever played on my PS3 when I bought it back in 09. Such a good game. Also would highly recommend a much under appreciated game in Folklore. Also Demon's Souls.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Valkyria Chronicles. First game I ever played on my PS3 when I bought it back in 09. Such a good game. Also would highly recommend a much under appreciated game in Folklore.

I think Valkyria Chronicles has to be one of the most overrated games on the PS3. I bought it because of a recommendation, but man I just can't get into it no matter what. I could go on to explain why I dislike it, but that's not the purpose of the thread, so to the OP, make sure you really look into this game before you decide to purchase it.

Anyway, I recommend The Last of Us, Dark Souls, and Shadow of the Colossus.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's not a PS3 game, but Persona 4 is coming out this week as a PS2 classic if you don't already have a Vita.

timeformime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By timeformime

The Ratchet and Clank Future titles, at least the first two, are still a hell of a lot of fun. God of War 3 was one of the first amazing PS3 exclusives - it really is the pinnacle of the series. These two series were the reason I bought my PS3 back in 2010, and along with the HD collections they both put out, they never let me be me sorry I didn't get an Xbox.

Other games worth checking out: Red Dead Redemption, GTA V, Journey, Little Big Planet 2, Puppeteer, Outland (on sale now for $2.50 on PSN), Infamous 2 (if you like the idea of over the top superhero combat in an open world). Then the only Japanese game I would recommend, which you may already have an opinion about one way or another, Demon's Souls.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any other Japanese games because I don't think many of them have measured up to the games coming out of the rest of the world. It's probably a matter of taste - I prefer Western games or weird little indie titles.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@ravingham91: Since you played the other two Final Fantasy 13 titles you might as well pick up Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII the final chapter in the saga. Other good games that you can't get on PC include Dragon's Dogma, Demon's Souls and Ni No Kuni

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aelric

I've been considering buying one. I skipped this generation of consoles, other than a 360 I had back in 2008 that I sold a year later to pay a hospital bill. I still had a fairly beefy PC and thanks to a lot of companies being more port friendly with the PC, I didn't miss too much, but Sony and their exclusives and a lot of Japanese stuff never got around to me. Specifically, I want to play Yakuza series, Last of Us, The Uncharted Series and Ni No Kuni. And a ton of others, but those would be my 'buy with the system' things. I can't afford to quite yet as I'm about to move to where my new job is in China and all my money is spoken for, but once I got a paycheck or two, I'll have a friend buy it on my behalf and mail it to me in China. Yeah, no PSN out there in China from what I here, but I don't mind too much, I've just trying to see the single player stuff I missed in the past 7 years or so.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#16  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Anything and everything by PlatinumGames is worth picking up. Bayonetta is unfortunately kind of messed up on the PS3, but it's still completely playable. Vanquish is the greatest third person shooter of all time because it's secretly a character action game, and Anarchy Reigns is a ton of fun if you can get some people together for online multiplayer. Single player there's not much there, but if you could find it for super cheap I'd still recommend it. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a really solid character action game, but I'd leave it for after you've played Metal Gear Solid 4.

Speaking of Metal Gear, the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is also definitely worth getting. Since you mentioned buying 4 already in your post I assume you've played the earlier ones, so if you've already played 2 and 3 to death and don't care about replaying them in HD you can buy Peace Walker HD on its own through PSN. If you haven't though you should really get the HD Collection, and buy the PS1 Classics version of MGS1 to start with if you've never played the original either. I haven't actually played them but the Zone of the Enders games are also supposed to be really good, and the PS3 version of the HD Collection got patched relatively recently to make ZOE2 60 frames per second and fix a bunch of other issues.

And speaking of busted HD Collections: the Silent Hill HD Collection is by all accounts completely busted. It's better than nothing, but if you have the option to play those games on another platform it's recommended you sell that HD Collection and play them elsewhere. Silent Hill 2 was on both PS2 and Xbox, but I think 3 was only released on PS2.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to 2006

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ravingham91

@agnosticjesus: The future has arrived!

@taku128:Yes silent hill was busted as hell but i endured through it. Metal gear solid 4 was the only one I had ever played. I had no idea what was going on...man that game was weird. I did enjoy it and will pick up the collection

@demoskinos: Yeah I will pick it up when it is cheap. Have heard it is crap. I know lots of people did not like 13 & 13 2. But they were the first JRPGS I had ever played and had nothing to compare them to so I really liked them.

@sergio:I am watching the endurance run of persona 4. I don't usually watch full playthroughs of games but this is an exception and as I have kind of "experienced" the whole game I probably will wait until there is a new persona game and play that.

@sterling:I totally forgot to mention this in my list I am actually playing it right now and love it! although I suck at it.

@yummylee: I Will wait to get a ps4 for the last of us.

Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys keep them coming. This forum is really active! But I guess that doesn't surprise me as my regular forum is an Australian PC gaming forum with about 20 active members.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just know that the entire Resistance trilogy is no longer going to have online I believe starting tomorrow. So if you go for those then know you'll only be playing the singleplayer

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Broomhitches

God of War III

The Last of Us

Beyond: Two Souls

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#23  Edited By isomeri

A lot of good recommendations in this thread. Journey, The Last of Us, Uncharted 2 etc. were definitely some of my favorite games from the last generation. One game I would add to all these is Wipeout HD.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By lego_my_eggo

The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Journey, Vanquished, LittleBigPlanet, inFAMOUS Collection, The Sly Collection, God of War Saga, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection, Okami HD, Killzone Trilogy, Mass Effect Trilogy, Demons Souls, Gran Turismo 6, Grand Theft Auto V, Rockstar Games Collection Edition 1, Person 3 FES, Persona 4, Ni no Kuni, Tokyo Jungle, Uncharted Greatest Hits Dual Pack, Uncharted 3, The Resistance Collection, Lumines Supernova, WipEout HD, and Pixeljunk Shooter but that is getting PS4 remake also.

Those are the games i would recommend you look into.

And i would also recommend a PlayStation +Plus subscription, they normally put up some fairly good games, including some of the games i recommended at some point.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ezekiel

Something I forgot to mention about the PS3 is that downloading and installing games takes very long, even if you have a good connection. You're better off with the discs.

I second Uncharted 1 and 2 and Red Dead Redemption, although the OP asked about Japanese games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.