Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Sony Reveals New PS3, PS+ For Vita, Not Much Else

• 183 results
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By PillClinton

All seems pretty ok, but why does it look like that? I mean that top/side with the ridged plastic that looks like it's cracked down the middle? That's fugly.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#152  Edited By penguindust

I don't get it. You can buy a new PS3 right now for less from Wal-mart. Yes, the HDD isn't as monstrous, but shouldn't Sony be trying to lower the price rather than raise it for the intended demographic?

"For the record, my Xbox 360 (a launch model) still has a 20GB hard drive. I’m cheap and sad."

Mine, too Patrick. That's because for a long time an upgrade cost $120. I wasn't about to pay that when I could get a 500 gig external for half that. Now that they've come down, I just don't see a point to buying a bigger drive when the new consoles are right around the corner (so to speak).

KlUMZeE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153  Edited By KlUMZeE

I like the redesign, it looks slick. As for The Last Guardian? I'm really beginning to doubt that it'll ever see the light of day.

bkfountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By bkfountain

Did sony just do the first base model price increase for a console ever?

6 years into the console and a couple revisions later, and they bump the price up by $20. Hilarious. Maybe they're going to slowly increase the price of the ps3 so the $600 ps4 doesn't look as bad.

Avatar image for satelliteoflove
    SatelliteOfLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#155  Edited By SatelliteOfLove

Dibs on the term "PS3 Scrawny"!

It's odd the tone of the piece being what it is, when it should be "Japanese-only cell phone shit sucking up talent and stuff that will come out here".

bkfountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By bkfountain

@GrantHeaslip said:

It's a little weird they didn't somehow manage to get a $200 model out, but I get the sense Sony isn't in a position to take a loss of system sales right now. The leaks earlier on about this model made it sound like it was all about getting the manufacturing cost down.

It's natural to get the manufacturing costs down after being out for 6 years. What's crazy is that this cheap ass console is actually raising the base price to $269 from $249.

bkfountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By bkfountain

@GrantHeaslip said:

@bkfountain said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

It's a little weird they didn't somehow manage to get a $200 model out, but I get the sense Sony isn't in a position to take a loss of system sales right now. The leaks earlier on about this model made it sound like it was all about getting the manufacturing cost down.

It's natural to get the manufacturing costs down after being out for 6 years. What's crazy is that this cheap ass console is actually raising the base price to $269 from $249.

That's exactly what I mean -- I thought it was going to come with a price drop. They must just be taking bigger profits on each one sold now.

This is Sony being content with just making money the rest of the gen instead of trying to sell more consoles. It would be insane if the ps3 or 360 have no real price drops this holiday, but they apparently don't care anymore. Looks like crappy bundles until the new consoles launch.

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By gunharp

@shades846 said:

so still no N class wifi upgrade that nearly all newist devices have had for three years ?

No consoles support the 5GHZ band :( Even the Xbox 360 is only 2.4GHZ (N/G/B), its useless and weak. I have all my consoles hooked up to a switch, which is hooked up to a nice little wireless adapter.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#161  Edited By l4wd0g

This redesign indicates that the PS4 will not be released in 2013

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By shades846

@Gunharp: the wii U at least will support normal N at least out of the box.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#163  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I have a Vita and I'm a Plus member so that sounds good to me. I should probably get a bigger memory card.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#164  Edited By Scrawnto

I'll probably pick up the 250GB one. I was already thinking of getting a PS3, since I've never had a Sony product, there are a few PSN games I'd like to play, and I'd like to get a Blu-Ray player.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By GaspoweR

So i guess the next Generation PS might still be still be 2 years off but I'm guessing they might be doing a reveal come next year

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By jmfinamore

I was surprised to see so many people complain about this design (not here). I think it looks fine, especially from the company that, in my opinion, made terrible looking consoles up until the PS3 slim (which is saved by its plain-ness). The grill on top is odd, but the it has a nice profile overall. The top-sliding tray is crazy though, very strange choice.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

All I can think of is string cheese, or celery.

Not feeling it.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Peanut

@whatisdelicious said:

@Peanut: Auto-patching and trophy sync are both convenience features. You don't need them. My PS3 experience was totally fine without them, and it's totally fine with them. Nobody else offers auto-patching (on consoles) so I'm fine with the idea that it's locked behind a paywall. Even Steam doesn't offer overnight patching. But multiplayer? If you don't pay for Gold, it's not like you get cheaper games because they don't have access to multiplayer; you still have to pay the same $60 for games where a big chunk of the development cost went to developing multiplayer that you'll never be able to play until you fork out another $60/year. That's fucking ridiculous.

So yeah, locking up overnight patching and trophy sync behind a paywall is not that big of a deal.

It also doesn't take the ridiculous amount of time to patch on the 360 that it does on the PS3. Everything about keeping that piece of hardware and its software up to date is an absolute nightmare. 360 updates take LITERAL seconds and with a full system update 5 minutes max. Again, I'm not defending Microsofts awful policies. I'm saying both consoles and both their paid programs are flawed. End.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By ashogo

@GrantHeaslip said:

@bkfountain said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

That's exactly what I mean -- I thought it was going to come with a price drop. They must just be taking bigger profits on each one sold now.

200 would be a definite sweet spot in convincing me to get one, but upping the price makes me want it less.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By ExplodeMode

500 is getting silly. Especially this late in the game. What percent of customers actually end up using 1/5th of that? I'm sure they would appreciate paying less for the system a lot more.

I've had 160 since 2008 and I'm at 80gb free right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they had made this a cheaper model I would probably have got one but paying the same just for a slightly smaller one just isn't an attractive deal

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By NeoZeon

@BradGrenz said:

@Anund said:

You know what's a complete joke for a subscription service? Getting f-ing access to the online component of the games I buy. Until that changes, I want no complants about anything in PS+.

No kidding. We're talking about a feature the competition doesn't even offer while they instead lock stuff you're already paying for behind additional pay walls.

Between that and the ads blanketing the screen while trying to find a game, I'm glad my 360 red ringed so much...well not glad per se, but it gave me great reasons to buy a PS3. I have no reason to look back.

Also - Muramasa? Hell yes!

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By NeoZeon

@Orange_Pork said:

@Stinky51012: "Microsoft's service is bad" is not an excuse to not make PS+ better.

It already is pretty good. Not sure what else people could want out of it honestly. And, no, I don't think automatic updates and trophies syncing is something to really care about. If you turn the system on more than once a week the problem usually takes care of itself.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#174  Edited By Sooty

Those promo shots make this thing look way nicer than it actually is. One ugly console!

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Solh0und

Looks like a hybrid of the fat and slim PS3s

Wolf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Wolf3

So can you still use your own harddrive in the Playstation 3: 3.0? I put a 120GB Intel SSD in my Playstation 3: 2, 'cause don't need much storage space in a console, but it probably helped with New Vegas, which pulls from the hard drive all the time. (Every loading screen I figured 'hey, I'm saving time!')

Wolf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Wolf3

@muralbat: The Wii U is a 6 year old piece of hardware too. Same boat. And I still don't see $250-300ish as expensive today for a reasonably powerful console. I mean these things were like $180 back in the 90s, so that's less than inflation even, and they're as comparatively powerful probably.

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By muralbat

@Wolf3: Not even going to give you a second of my time trying to explain the Wii hardware to you, if your that uninformed to make the above statement, then your already lost

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#179  Edited By irrelevantjohn

Isn't this the PS3 model that takes away the 1080p from the component cable connections? Then again why do I care since I use HDMI.

Anyways, I think this model would be interesting if they told us how much power it draws. If it's only cosmetics then this is pointless unless you don't own a PS3 yet.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I turned on my Vita for the first time in months last night, updated the system software and eagerly checked out the game store. Even with modest expectations, I was really disappointed.

How has the system garnered so few "full" game releases, along with a really small selection of digital only games? Did Sony somehow believe that a selection of PSOne titles compatible with the Vita would make up for one of the worst first year software libraries for a new device in gaming history? I really want Sony to turn this around and justify my launch day purchase of the Vita, but I'm growing increasingly frustrated at the lack of commitment to the platform.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#181  Edited By BlackLagoon

@UnsolvedParadox said:

How has the system garnered so few "full" game releases, along with a really small selection of digital only games?

There was a real dearth of new games during the summer. Sony was probably so focused on the launch, that they neglected the months afterwards. Things should be picking up now, with LittleBigPlanet coming out and new retail releases every week of October.

SupberUber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By SupberUber

Looks better than the first slim model.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By LiquidPrince

@patrickklepek said:

Muramasa: The Demon Blade is getting a Vita port.

FUCKING AWESOME! My favorite Wii game gets a port! I want!

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#184  Edited By yukoasho

@GaspoweR said:

So i guess the next Generation PS might still be still be 2 years off but I'm guessing they might be doing a reveal come next year

Honestly, I think Sony and MS are looking to see if the Wii U takes off like the Wii did. Personally, I think that unless the Wii U is a huge hit outside of the traditional Nintendo fanbase, Sony and MS can get away with a price drop next year since both systems aren't exactly doing poorly in the market now. This would also give them time to figure out how to put out the next systems at a price below $599USD.

Boopie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Boopie

wow Sony way to completely overwhelm us with great news!

pavakah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By pavakah

I guess anything next-gen isn't coming until 4k televisions hit the mainstream market. At least I'll know when to start paying attention to consoles again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.