Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Weak controllers?

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Laharl

Maybe its just a case of me playing too much but i got the ps3 a few months after it was released and ive burned through 3 controllers and starting to see my fourth beginning to crap out on me. The problem with every single one is the left analog stick, since almost every single game(especially first person shooters) involves holding up for hours on end it makes something loose and screws up the stick. Its bearable with some games but if i say play call of duty my character slowly crawls forward in game cause the stick is jacked up. Its become an annoyance having to either deal with it or shell out the 60 bucks or whatever it costs to buy a new one.

Now ive been gaming for a long time and ive never seen controllers crap out so badly, hell even my ps2 controllers analog sticks still work fine. The closest ive come was N64 controllers from ridiculous amounts of hours with Goldeneye, but even then it wasnt nearly as bad as the ps3 controllers. Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or is it just me?

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Laharl
    @dudeglove: 
    First person shooters, rpgs, games where like i said its hours and hours of holding up to walk forward.
    blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blazerx9x

I remember my dualshock wasn`t working, so I threw it on the floor ( with aggression ) and it started working again.
    True story.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't have a PS3, but I had about 4 PS2 controllers break on me, so I wouldn't be surprised. Either the shoulder buttons would deflate or get jammed, or the analog would lose it's ability to fully recenter itself. I'm now having the same problem with the analogs on 2 of my 360 controllers, and also with the RB buttons being unresponsive.

TheyLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TheyLive

My main controller somehow pulls in all directions at once. Its rather impressive in a "cant stay in cover" kinda way.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By chililili
    @Laharl:  I used to have a problem with broken ps2 controlers until I realized I was beating the shit out of them everytime I died on GTA... not good on controller life. Seriously though, I've have my ps3 for 2-3 years now at least, no controller problems except that one's R2 trigger has a broken spring. Take better care of your stuff there's NO way you have fucked up 3 controller's analog sticks. If they don't work anymore I recommend checking out a guide and taking them apart. But I think that you are the one that's doing something that's damaging them think about your gaming habits.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Vinny_Says

ahhhh man the N64 analog was the shittiest...every single one of those lost all responsiveness after some time...on the other hand...my 360 stick still feels brand new which is great...

Also I propose: Cruise control for analog sticks...think about it!

Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Dom

my controller's still doing fine, but i remember going through 3 DualShock 2s back in the days

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Vorbis

Got a Dualshock when it was released and I've never had any issues with it, but I never throw it against the wall in a rage fit. I think the only controller that ever broke on me was a PSone third party controller with a turbo button, after that I stuck to first party stuff.

Wquismoriojr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Wquismoriojr

For some reason the PS3 controllers buttons have tendency to get stuck. Maybe an accumulation of dust and oil from hands but even then. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

This is why the 360 controller has such a large deadzone. The springs lose their tension over time and start drifting in one direction or another. Yes the PS3 controllers have tighter thumbsticks with smaller deadzones, offering more finesse and control. But at a cost.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yakov456

The ps3 controller is a piece of crap. The first one I had, the sticks went to shit, stuck sideways and such. On my newer DS, the square button is jamming each time I push it. Frustrating.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I've had a lot of controllers over the years and the only one that crapped out on me was a Saitek gamepad (one of the triggers started functioning weird).  I'm using the PS3 controller on the PC (using motionjoy), as well.  The two I have seem pretty solid -- they've been dropped numerous times and survived Demon's Souls, Dirt 2 (PC and PS3) and Persona 4 (on a PS2 emulator for windows), yet they're as good as new.

Maybe you're just pressing too hard.

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PS3RG

My 2 SixAxis controllers are still alive and well ever since I got my 60GB at release. 

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By markini6

Thank god my store warranty allows me to exchange faulty controllers as well as the console :)

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By donwoogie
    @Laharl:  I have worn out two of my three original controllers.  I also wore out my sticks like you, but in a different way.  With mine, the pads just started ripping off the sticks.  I've learnt that it was because I tend to push the joystick all the way forwards and leave it there, rather than pushing it 80% forwards which is all that is needed.  Mine comes from hours upon hours spend on Pro Evolution Soccer 2008/9/10
    Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Ramyun

No such problems on my end, and there are times where I do get aggressive with the movement of my sticks.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Jadeskye

the PS3 controller to me never really hit home. I feel like if you hit someone with it it might hurt but if you clunk someone with an xbox 360 controller (especially with the stupid keyboard) they ain't getting back up any time soon.

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fontan
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " Maybe you're just pressing too hard. "
    It's amazing how hard some people tend to push the sticks or press the button while playing. Most won't even realize their controllers are taking a beating.
    Drakhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Drakhir

I have no idea what you're doing, but you must be seriously doing it wrong.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Raymayne

PS3 controllers suck balls.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wolverine

I have not had the problem because I've only gotten my PS3 about a week ago but my friend has had his PS3 since launch and his controller's left stick is broken. I just thought it was because he breaks all of his shit but this post makes me think better of him!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.