Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Object » linked to 11 games

Apart from being a real console, the PlayStation 3 has also appeared as an in-game object in various games

Will the backwards compatible PS3s be collectors items?

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By gunslingerNZ

So recently (the night before the Red Dead TNT to be precise) my original launch PS3 suffered the second critical fault of it's long and fruitful life. Yes I was a victim of the lesser known acronym, the YLOD. 

Given my PS3 is a part of the original generation of consoles for most this would have meant the scrap heap or cracking it open for some DIY repairs. I was fortunate enough however to have got a dirt cheap rate on a 5 year extended warranty on purchase and since this is my second major repair job (the first was a faulty BR drive a year ago) the thing has paid itself off many times over by now.

Finding myself facing a second catastrophic fault with my beloved console in little over a year presented me with a dilemma however. Should I make another claim under my warranty or should I sell the PS3, warranty inclusive, and use the funds to purchase a new slim model? Perhaps I might have even been left with enough to purchase an extra game because of the premium these backwards compatible models seem to attract these days. Initially this seemed like a great idea and I was looking up comparable auction listings in no time. Soon enough though I got to thinking, do I really want to sell a console which might become a part of gaming history? Sure the launch models are far more error prone than the shiny new one I could have purchased but perhaps that was a blessing in disguise. With the user base of newer, gimped (I hesitate to use that term but it is sort of appropriate) PS3s growing by the day and more of the original models finding their way into the junk yard maybe the small premium I could earn on it today could grow to a much larger one in half a decade's time? Heck I might even develop a sense of honour or nostalgia through having one of the original consoles to roll off the production line.

Who knows whether the old girl will be worth any more in the long run or if the premium I could currently earn will just evaporate with the release of the PS4. Either way the opportunity to have a potentially unique piece of gaming memorabilia was too tempting to pass up (I'm still immensely fond of my big brick original gameboy) and so I wait for what will probably be 3 weeks before I can finally get Red Dead out of that effing Blu-ray drive...

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gunslingerNZ

So recently (the night before the Red Dead TNT to be precise) my original launch PS3 suffered the second critical fault of it's long and fruitful life. Yes I was a victim of the lesser known acronym, the YLOD. 

Given my PS3 is a part of the original generation of consoles for most this would have meant the scrap heap or cracking it open for some DIY repairs. I was fortunate enough however to have got a dirt cheap rate on a 5 year extended warranty on purchase and since this is my second major repair job (the first was a faulty BR drive a year ago) the thing has paid itself off many times over by now.

Finding myself facing a second catastrophic fault with my beloved console in little over a year presented me with a dilemma however. Should I make another claim under my warranty or should I sell the PS3, warranty inclusive, and use the funds to purchase a new slim model? Perhaps I might have even been left with enough to purchase an extra game because of the premium these backwards compatible models seem to attract these days. Initially this seemed like a great idea and I was looking up comparable auction listings in no time. Soon enough though I got to thinking, do I really want to sell a console which might become a part of gaming history? Sure the launch models are far more error prone than the shiny new one I could have purchased but perhaps that was a blessing in disguise. With the user base of newer, gimped (I hesitate to use that term but it is sort of appropriate) PS3s growing by the day and more of the original models finding their way into the junk yard maybe the small premium I could earn on it today could grow to a much larger one in half a decade's time? Heck I might even develop a sense of honour or nostalgia through having one of the original consoles to roll off the production line.

Who knows whether the old girl will be worth any more in the long run or if the premium I could currently earn will just evaporate with the release of the PS4. Either way the opportunity to have a potentially unique piece of gaming memorabilia was too tempting to pass up (I'm still immensely fond of my big brick original gameboy) and so I wait for what will probably be 3 weeks before I can finally get Red Dead out of that effing Blu-ray drive...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Collectors items, no. But apparently there are still people who want to play PS2 games without actually hooking up a PS2. Have you checked out the prices of 1st generation PS3's on Ebay? I was thinking about buying a PS3 so I checked it out, they're insane.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#3  Edited By Valkyr

The deal is that the old ps3 could upscale and smooth ps2 games, some of them look actually a lot better so maybe you should keep the old ps3 just to play ps2 games and get the ps3 slim for blu-ray and current gen games. I hope that Sony will stop selling ps2s at some moment and release a new firmware so all phats and slims gain the retrocompatibility along with the upscaling.

miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By miningguyx360

yeah i fall into the category of launch consoles (in fact my ps3 says its number 985). Luckily (knock on wood) i haven't had any problems with it which i am pretty proud of. Good luck?

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Valkyr:  The PS3 uses emulation in order to play PS2 titles. While the 20gb and 60gb launch models featured actual hardware emulation (IE, semiconductors found in the PS2), the 80gb runs on very limited hardware, and relies almost entirely software emulation (IE, an internal program. This is similar to the Xbox 360's use of original Xbox games, and why many of the ones that DID play, played like garbage).

This is why a firmware patch for modern PS3's wouldn't help anyone, very much at all.
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @TooWalrus said:
    " Collectors items, no. But apparently there are still people who want to play PS2 games without actually hooking up a PS2. Have you checked out the prices of 1st generation PS3's on Ebay? I was thinking about buying a PS3 so I checked it out, they're insane. "
    It is safer to get a ps2, just because the bc psthirds have a higher chance of ylod, just get a new ps3
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus
    @organicalistic_ said:
    " @TooWalrus said:
    " Collectors items, no. But apparently there are still people who want to play PS2 games without actually hooking up a PS2. Have you checked out the prices of 1st generation PS3's on Ebay? I was thinking about buying a PS3 so I checked it out, they're insane. "
    It is safer to get a ps2, just because the bc psthirds have a higher chance of ylod, just get a new ps3 "
    I'm not getting any PS3. I went into Best Buy the other day to buy one, saw the price tag... then wandered around a bit and saw a shiny new black Wii, and Mario Galaxy 2... and bought that instead. I've already got an Xbox, I'll get a PS3 later. Maybe.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Red12b

Mine went as well on thursday night, second time, this was the replacement model... 
    arse with a slice of cheese,

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By c1337us

I hear they go for a lot on ebay but they will not be collectibles or anything. I am thinking about buying a new PS2 though so I don't have to rely on my PS3 to play my old games. 

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I've still got a working PS2 original having fixed the laser assembly once already. My only real reason for keeping the PS3 with backwards compatibility is convenience both for not having to hook up another console and also having all my saves in one place. Funnily enough that was the first thing that struck me when I got the PS3, even more than the graphics. I just thought "finally I don't need memory cards anymore!"

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ

Not just for collectors: I am not buying a PS3 until I can obtain one that is backwards compatible.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By calidan777
    @Mmmslash:  The OG PS3 60/20gb actually had the Emotion Engine on the motherboard, so it wasn't emulation. Also, I'm not sure why your saying that OG Xbox games play like shit on Xbox360 because that's just wrong. There were a few games that didn't run the same as if they were on the OG Xbox, but I wouldn't say they played like shit, pretty much all of the Xbox games I've played on m y 360 were fine.
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By C2C

I have a BC 60GB that still operates just fine.  I don't think it will be a collector's item though, but I like it :)   

I say wait until the Holidays at least.  If you still want to sell it then, it will probably fetch much more than if you were going to sell it now.

Tryptophan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tryptophan

I grabbed a 60gb the second I heard they were being price dropped, discontinued, and downgraded. Maybe I should have grabbed two, or three?
    I figure this PS3 will last me, seeing my PS2 original(bought in 2001) was still running fine when I got rid of it in 2007.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Mmmslash
    @calidan777:  That's what I said. I stated that the 20gb and 60gb models used hardware to do it. The emulation bit comes in that it wasn't running PS2 firmware, so your compatibility list was only something like 85%. The 80gb model used software emulation, and as such was more like 50, or 60%, and what did run didn't always run amazing.

As for Xbox originals on the 360, I have no idea what you are talking about. While some games worked fine, many have a lot of artifacting and graphical issues. MvC2 Sprites will flicker, Forza 1 vinyls will display incorrectly, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.