Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Anyone using a PS4 - PC dongle?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Anyone using one of these things? I kind of prefer the PS4 controller to the XBONE one, but it looks like there are all kinds of limitations on what it can be used for. Can I just use it for regular old Steam games? I thought this would be a replacement for ds4fix, which stopped working for me a while back, but if it's as limited as people say (only useful for PS Now games?) I'll just stick with the Xbox controller.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By maginnovision

Worst. link. ever.

I usually just use an xbox one 360 or ps4 controller through usb. Luckily ds4fix hasnt broken for me yet.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MVHVTMV

If you're alright with running third-party software like DS4Windows, etc., then try ScpToolkit. I've been using it since Windows 10 broke DS4W (last year?), and it's pretty flawless. It works with a regular bluetooth dongle if you've got a decent quality one, and it's totally plug and play, with the utility installing as a service and running in the background at all times. You can even set-up a bluetooth dongle to automatically sync your controller when you hit the PS4 button to turn it on.

This sounds like some kind of weird shill post, but it's actually just a really good utility. It might not be perfect for your hardware, but it's worth a shot if you're willing to fiddle with it a bit.

EDIT: Also, this is off topic, but what's with the blue squares? Am I going crazy, I don't remember them being here before.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By monkeyking1969
    No Caption Provided

Do you mean this...[link]

I have not used it personally, but looks interesting.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yea, the overwhelmingly negative reviews have me assuming that's not a general pc controller solution. One of the QAs mentions passing output to xbox controller emulator so this is probably trash for most people. Normally I'd buy one to find out, but it seems pretty definitive.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't have one, but it looks like you would still have to run extra software to make it think it was a 360 controller for any games that don't support the DS4 anyway. Its more for PSnow, and not something that will make the controller play nice with all games. Like it was said before you might as well save the cash and look for an update or alternative to ds4fix, and use a generic bluetooth if you want it wireless.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Demonsoul

@rorie I don't have one either. But I do have one of these https://www.amazon.com/CronusMax-Cross-Cover-Gaming-Adapter-Windows/dp/B013E2KD5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476225611&sr=8-1&keywords=chronomax+plus

It works amazing with the PS4 controller, plus I use it for a bunch of other consoles as well. Works great if you want to use the PS4 controller on those pesky PS3 games that don't support dualshock 4 controllers! Also, it works great if you want to use a dualshock 4 on xbox 360 games (I have about 100 so it is well worth it for me). I really don't like the ps3 or xbox 360 controller..........just my personal preference.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@mvhvtmv: DS4W is broken? I still use it on the daily with no issues, even rebinding buttons and using different profiles. It all seems to be in working order on my end, but I also do play all cabled up. What issues are being reported?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got a ps4 controller to work via built in bluetooth on my laptop. you shouldnt need the official one unless im missing something.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just have a cable that I use for it. I much prefer the PS4 controller. It totally works fine with steam games, but yes sometimes you do have to use a program on the side with it. The program is actually quite good though anyway.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: I assume they fixed it by now if people are still using it, but it was broken pretty significantly for at least a few months about a year ago. Windows 10 changed the way it handled gamepads, and made it difficult to get the gamepad into exclusive mode without force stopping explorer.exe, i.e. using a batch script that disables the GUI shell for a few seconds so you can connect the controller in peace haha.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@mvhvtmv: Oh, I definitely remember that issue. Windows 10 basically shattered my entire computer for a good week, but my biggest issue was the fear that my DS4 wouldn't easily work anymore. It was easier when they built in a function that ran the command automatically, but I considered switching to a Xbone controller pretty heavily until it was fixed.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#13 sweep  Moderator

I'm using the built-in bluetooth on my laptop (though I'm sure you could easily get a cheap bluetooth dongle) and then the DS4Windows app which basically maps all the XBOX controller buttons onto the PS4. It was very easy to set up, and it comes with all kindsa cool features that let you customise how your controller works. Right now I've got mine rigged up so that the colour on the front-light of the controller reflects how much battery it has left, for example, starting blue at full charge and fading to red when it's empty.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mvhvtmv said:

I assume they fixed it by now if people are still using it, but it was broken pretty significantly for at least a few months about a year ago. Windows 10 changed the way it handled gamepads, and made it difficult to get the gamepad into exclusive mode without force stopping explorer.exe, i.e. using a batch script that disables the GUI shell for a few seconds so you can connect the controller in peace haha.

Hmm, it definitely wasn't a year ago for me, it was when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update hit. For a while there was a better solution than what you mention, but in any case, it's been fixed as of a few weeks ago or thereabouts. Now it'll just give one of those typical system prompts making sure you do in fact want to run a program that could make changes to your PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.