Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Bluetooth headsets won't work at launch.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Syed117

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/10/planning-on-using-an-existing-headset-with-a-ps4-read-this.aspx

I don't understand how that's even possible. I wasn't planning on using that shitty earbud, wasn't even going to take it out of the box.

As long as the PS4 lets you choose where the chat output goes and you are using a headset, you don't have to put that thing in your ear. You still have to have it plugged in for the mic. If you don't use a headset for audio, you have to have that thing in your ear.

Everyone screams about Microsoft not being ready with their box, but they both cut corners to be ready for November. Even though Bluetooth chat quality is terrible, it is the core of ps3 chat functionality. Seems ridiculous that the ps4 doesn't support it at launch.

Sony doesn't exactly have a great track record when it comes to firmware updates and how fast they add new features. I wouldn't be surprised if it took six months or more to get that functionality back.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

The PS4 comes with a fully functioning headset. I fail to see the problem here.

Its no secret that these systems are coming in HOT, and this was likely a last minute feature, since the bundled headset plugs into the controller, bluetooth headset functionality was not a critical function of getting this thing out the door, and thus was likely not highly prioritized.

But you seem to have already made your mind up that this is some kind of massive problem, so keep running down the street with your pitchfork.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a bit of a weird one for sure, I was hoping to be able to use my PS3 bluetooth headset, but not the end of the world considering they are including a headset in the box.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Syed117

@nadafinga: I'm not saying it's a massive problem but it definitely is one. I've been using a Bluetooth headset for my ps3 for years. It's convenient and the ps4 doesn't come with a headset, it comes with an earbud with an inline mic. There is a difference and I don't like putting something in my ear because it interferes with audio on that side.

They haven't even said if we will be able to change audio output in the way that ps3 allows. I would assume they will, but I would also have assumed that Bluetooth headsets would work. So if you can't change output and use a headset for game audio, you have to have that thing in your ear and then put a headset over it? That sounds really uncomfortable.

It's also not ideal for people who already have expensive headsets that they use for ps3. Including the official Sony ones. I don't and would never buy a console specific headset but a lot of people do.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syed117: I agree with you, it's not ideal. For people who insist (or require) using over-the-ear headphones for game audio, this sucks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Well that is kind of bizarre. The article states that while optical headsets will work, you can't chat until the forthcoming system update.

Like you guys said, this isn't a deal breaker but having issues with something as seemingly simple as voice chat going into the console launch is a bit worrying.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The PS4 comes with a fully functioning headset. I fail to see the problem here.

No Caption Provided

You mean this thing? Because I would certainly want something more for my voice communication needs.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Syed117

@humanity: the actual optical out will work just fine. It's just the Bluetooth functionality doesn't work at all.

I'll use my setup as an example. This is how I've always done it and it's great. I have optical out to a Dolby surround decoder to a nice pair of headphones. That way I get to use my own nice headphones and get surround from the box. For chat I have a samsung clip on Bluetooth headset that I have clipped to my collar. I get surround game audio and chat in my headphones and the little samsung clip on is just there as a mic.

Cant do that now. The work around for me is to just have the mic they are including work in the same way. But that's all assuming that the ps4 will have the same options for changing where the chat audio comes from. If not then I'll have to have that thing in my ear under my headset.

It's not the end of the world. Just annoying. It's a loss of functionality that we are used to. Sony has been trying so hard to play the good guy but they just haven't told us the whole story.

ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ValeYard

It must be some kind of bluetooth update/driver issue? It seems headsets are the weak point of both consoles at launch, now my turtle beach set won't work for chat with either at launch (bluetooth for ps4, different connector on Xbone). This system launch definitely appears hectic. I just hope they didn't cut any important corners, like heat sinks etc. Didn't the original ps3 have massive controller sync problems at launch, desyncing all the time?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Preorders cancelled.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even sure where to put this but Sony is selling the vertical stand separately. I'm guessing that will be $15 or $20. The retail package shows the console with the stand. That would suggest it comes with it but then why would they be selling it as an accessory.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syed117: Sony has been doing that since the PS2 days.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nadafinga: yeah I know. I have the stand for my slim. Just thought it was included this time. I'm assuming the retail box says "vertical stand not including"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.