Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Firmware Rumors Confirmed? Suspend Mode, Button Remapping

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Scoops' report: http://kotaku.com/looks-like-the-ps4-is-getting-some-cool-software-change-1689957437

NeoGAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1005451

NeoGAF thread 2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1005370

--

So nearly as soon as it was reported there was a PS4 firmware beta in the wild it was leaked what that beta was all about.

Word on the street says a few things

1) Suspend mode. Lo and behold it's finally coming.

2) Button remapping!

3) Delete Trophies with 0%

4) Search trophy details on the internet, including screenshots of scenes with trophies.

5) SharePlay at 60 FPS

Beta users are under NDA so info is appearing/disappearing (hence multi GAF threads) here and there.

Obviously the jokes so far have all been along the lines of BUTTON REMAPPING!? FINALLY!! but I have to admit I'm excited for both that and the Suspend Mode. SharePlay update is cool too for streamers, but I've barely done any of that.

Maybe it's from life on the PC for years but I'm just so used to the idea of remapping controls however I like and I find the idea of a system level map super interesting and cool. Definitely very Edge Casey though.

And y'all?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If button remapping became a system wide feature for a console, that would be a pretty big deal. It's consistently one of the things that I've never understood coming from a primary PC platform. Always just seemed like developer laziness.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Hunter5024

Good stuff, though I doubt I'll use any of it.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suspend mode is awesome on the vita, would love it on PS4.

Controller remapping would also be welcome.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Edge Casey is my rapper name.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Why would you want button remapping?

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is one of those things where I'm not really the target user for these changes but I think it's cool that they are being added. One thing I know though, if my consoles had a suspend mode when I was a kid and my parents understood how it worked there would likely have been less scrambling like mad to finish a level while they yell "It's time to go!" or serious anger when they made me shut something off before I could save (in the times where I wasn't BSing them about save systems).

Button layouts is a thing I really don't recall having an issue with in ages outside of trying to play button fighters on a controller, and there really isn't a great layout for that no matter how you readjust the buttons. The only times I really remember having serious layout issues are from the PC and that was always fairly easy to fix. I'm sure there are a few people out there who really crave this customization though. I wonder if this will be big for left handed gamers or something.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Button remapping and and the trophy stuff is actually pretty cool. Sure it may be trivial to some people, but you gotta admit that it's pretty sweet to have that available.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Swap 'X' and Circle because i want to be japanese.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the button remapping is done the way I'm assuming it's done(a system level thing and not game specific), that seems completely pointless.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@m1k3 said:

Swap 'X' and Circle because i want to be japanese.

This but the other way around. I import Japanese games enough that the switch between O to confirm from X can be kinda confusing and completely eliminating that would be really cool.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think button remapping should be a forcefull integration , developers always have terrible ideas as to button mapping.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The button remapping seems like it'll be especially useful for remote play on vita.

Sounds like a good update overall.

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geeze, suspend mode after all this time. I'm so glad.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15  Edited By MachoFantastico

Damn it, I actually bet we wouldn't get suspend mode at all with a mate of mine. I just lost that bet, honestly thought it would never be a thing. If it turns out to be similar to what they showed off pre-release I'm all for it, its a feature I would certainly use.

I can't see myself using the button remapping but its a cool bonus feature for those that would need it, the trophies update sounds neat to. Looks like it'll be a much welcomed update.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

60 FPS Shareplay sounds awesome but even with my good connection my one experience wasn't that great with it.

Someone remind what Suspend Mode is again.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If button remapping has profiles for seperate games, than that's fucking awesome.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is so incredibly minor, but I will appreciate the ability to delete 0% trophy entries for games I absolutely hated and quit right away, free to play games I downloaded and tried for 20 minutes, etc.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what's the difference between Suspend Mode and Rest Mode?

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

60 FPS Shareplay sounds awesome but even with my good connection my one experience wasn't that great with it.

Suspend/resume is for when you turn the ps4 off, your game will be saved exactly where you were and when you turn it back on you'll instantly be back in the game without having to wait for everything to load up again.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm way more excited about button remapping than suspend mode. I've been wanting button remapping to be a feature in all games for so long but if Sony is implementing it on a system level that would be fantastic!

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

As weird as it sounds, I love the idea of deleting trophies from my record where I never got a trophy. Even though I will probably never use button remapping, I think its really cool that is something they are doing.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HH

@sammo21 said:

As weird as it sounds, I love the idea of deleting trophies from my record where I never got a trophy.

same, i don't collect trophies, i have notifications turned off, but the odd time i will look through the list to see my game history.

i've got a ton of stuff on 1% that i'd like to get rid of just as much though. i guess that would fuck with gamerscore, but so what? it's hardly more important than me being able to make things neat and nicer to look at.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Controller remapping would actually help me get to grips with OlliOlli. Using the left stick for board controls? My brain still thinks it skate. :(

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*scans through for PSN nick change*

*sighs*

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I use my PS4 pretty rarely, but whenever I do I'm always stunned by the lack of a suspend mode. I'm just so used to it with the Xbox One. It may not sound like much but it makes a huge difference, especially in open-world games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm really looking forward to suspend mode but I'm wondering how much electricity thats going to eat up to have the system constantly "on" in a sense.

DrStrangepork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

Edge Casey is my rapper name.

I thought Edge Casey was a streetwise police detective from The Big Easy who was framed for his wife's murder. He must now evade the law as he tries to solve this horrible crime while protecting the people of New Orleans, the city he loves.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By monkeyking1969

Say what you will, but 3) Delete Trophies with 0% will be huge. Also, button remapping is HUGE. Think about how that might help in games where you really just want one game to stick to a mapping structure you liked from a game you play a lot. I might add button remapping for people whodo not play with their hands will be huge. Many devices made for people with disabilities might actually become more flexible for more games with this change.

I know people want Suspend mode and 60 fps streams will be great for steamers (and watchers), but getting rid of games I really haven't played will be huge. And, being able to make the 'X' button do what the 'Circle' button does in Japanese games would be nice.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I don't know anything about this suspend mode, but if all it needs is enough energy to retain what is in your RAM then it would probably have similar power consumption as a PC in sleep mode.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I'm sure I'm crazy...but I just want the ability to have notifications for when someone on your friend list signs on.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like the Xbox One feature that suspends the game in RAM while turned off in a low power state so you can pick up and play from the same place when you turn it back on

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Meh, was hoping Sony would finally get around to adding DLNA on the PS4 like they had on the PS3 so I could box up my past generation console. It doesn't work as smoothly on the XboxOne and that console's menus are a puzzle to manage.

What happened to the rumored Spotify, too?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have a Japanese Vita, so swapping X and O there would make things less confusing when I use Remote Play. As it is currently all Vita interface stuff uses O as confirm, but all PS4 interface stuff uses X, so it occasionally gets confusing.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank God for button mapping! I bought a ControllerMax last year so I could remap my buttons on PS4, but there are some issues with it. Sometimes it will disconnect the controller, or ask you which profile you want to use at random, and you had to play with your controller wired in. It's silly how long it's taken for consoles to get this right.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can already see issues with Bloodborne and resuming in online mode. I anticipate it will either boot out back to the main menu or have you be in offline mode and have to exit out to get back into online mode.

Maybe they thought of this scenario already.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rethla

@m1k3: The same will go for all online multiplayer games. You cant expect to suspend a game which you cant even pause.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m1k3: Not that it's necessarily like this, but Dark Souls on the PC, when it looses connection to the server, lets you keep playing if you want to stay offline after a notification. So Bloodborne could save your place in the game, just switch you automatically offline.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.