Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

How bad of an idea is it to buy a PlayStation 4 right now?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How bad of an idea is it to buy a PlayStation 4 right now? (147 votes)

Neo is around the corner - bad idea 69%
    Live in the now - good idea 31%

I've been planning on buying a PS4 pretty much since it was announced. I'd bought the Xbox One a couple years ago, and have been really content with that serving as my primary gaming device. But, now enough stuff has come along that's PS4 exclusive, I'm starting to think it's the right time to expand.

This isn't coincidence that No Man's Sky was a recent release. I've been following that game since announcement, and with realistic expectations, have been very much looking forward to it. I'd sort of always planned to buy a PS4 before its release. Well, with the Neo rumors and eventual confirmation, I started to think it was maybe best to hold off and see what came of that.

Now here I am, my friends and coworkers are playing and chatting about No Man's Sky, and I'm trying to decide if I should jump in now. I know the Neo announcement is in a few weeks, so it seems silly.

The way I look at it, if the Neo is going to be something worth waiting for, then it'll probably end up being a wait, you know? Like, if this thing is really going to be a significant overhaul, it probably won't be this year. If that's the case, then I'm probably not going to wait anyway.

Thoughts?

• 
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's something you want to play, it's a great idea. The Neo isn't really going to be much of an upgrade unless all the leaked info was wrong.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My ps4 works just fine. I say go for it, unless you're a proper "1080p 60fps" kind of person.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

I think a price drop for the original PS4 is more important than whatever the Neo can do. So it will be cheaper if you wait.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, like you said, they will have that reveal happening in just a few weeks and it might also come with an announcement of a price drop for the original. If ignoring that, I'd say just go for it, but I'm someone who bought PS4 at release and plays 90% of his games on the platform, so eeeeh.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@hunkulese said:

If there's something you want to play, it's a great idea. The Neo isn't really going to be much of an upgrade unless all the leaked info was wrong.

A lot has happened since then, especially the scorpio announcement.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Considering I bought a PS4 a few weeks before the NEO announcement leaked and was proper pissed off, I'd suggest waiting. It's hard to know how much of an upgrade it's gonna be, but it's not gonna be worse. The nightmare scenario for me is that a few years in, games only run decently on NEO, while the regular PS4 is stuck in screen tearing land like my 360 was these last couple of cross-gen years.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Other than potential price drops post-Neo, it's a fine time to buy one. Might drop after that September event but it's already worth the money now with all those bundles out there.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Id personally wait the few weeks and see what Sony has to offer with the Neo. Maybe they will offer a slimmer model or a price drop of the exiting PS4 or something along with there event. If after the event they don't say a price and date, then i would way the benefits of the Neo if they showed them off vs. just buying one now and having fun.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This depends on how you value money vs time, doesn't it?

I am always a little baffled by people who are against buying consoles at launch because a better version might come out or a price drop might happen. That's always the case, but you also lose the utility of the system while you're waiting. The way I think of it is: If I offered you $300 to wait until November to get a Playstation 4 would that seem like a good deal to you? If so, wait, if not, consider buying. You can probably find a used PS4 cheaper than new if you just want something to play a few games on before Neo arrives and you can probably sell that used system for at least $150 if/when you decide to upgrade.

So it's weighing a couple hundred bucks vs a couple months with a PS4; which is more valuable to you?

I say it's worth it if you have the disposable income and there are games you want to play right now, and the PS4 has a decent library of exclusives at this point. It'll probably be awhile before we see games that really take advantage of Neo's added power anyway, and at that point you may have gotten 6-8 months use out of the system, which to me is definitely worth a few hundred smackeroos.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am always a little baffled by people who are against buying consoles at launch because a better version might come out or a price drop might happen. That's always the case, but you also lose the utility of the system while you're waiting. The way I think of it is: If I offered you $300 to wait until November to get a Playstation 4 would that seem like a good deal to you? If so, wait, if not, consider buying. You can probably find a used PS4 cheaper than new if you just want something to play a few games on before Neo arrives and you can probably sell that used system for at least $150 if/when you decide to upgrade.

So it's weighing a couple hundred bucks vs a couple months with a PS4; which is more valuable to you?

I say it's worth it if you have the disposable income and there are games you want to play right now, and the PS4 has a decent library of exclusives at this point. It'll probably be awhile before we see games that really take advantage of Neo's added power anyway, and at that point you may have gotten 6-8 months use out of the system, which to me is definitely worth a few hundred smackeroos.

I think your logic is sort of where I'm falling right now. That, and I've never been the kind of guy who needs high performance. As long as things function, I'm happy. So, I'll probably jump on now. I'm pretty nervous about buying used consoles, so I'll probably drop the extra $75 or so to get it new. Plus, if I go new, I'll probably bring home some random game with a bundle.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I agree. Whenever someone says they'll wait for something because something better might be coming up all my red flags go up. If they extend that philosophy to life in general, they usually are not a lot of fun.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not as bad as buying a Mac right now(as all of those are painfully outdated, and it seems a pretty big update is soon for some of them) but still pretty poor. I'd wait to see what the NEO shapes up to be and how much it is. The current PS4 is a nice system but there's no need to dive in now.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't know how "around the corner" that Neo is. Also I don't think the Neo sounds like a worthwhile update. The XB1 beefed up version (name escapes me, jaguar panther or whatever) sounds like something worth waiting for. If there are a bunch of cool PS4 games you want to play then I would get one now and not worry about it.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if you don't buy a Neo, there is a very real possibility that the regular PS4 could be dropping in price with the announcement. Might be worth waiting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.