Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Is this black box worth it?

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I just bought a PS4.

It has been sitting on my bed for hours. I stare at it.

Is this thing worth is?

I haven't bought a new console or PC in a very long time... Now it's hard for me to gauge the value of a console, especially since I've never experienced the Steam marketplace.

I don't see myself spending the cash needed for a rig, plus a monitor, plus keyboard and mouse.... Is this my option?

Why am I not more thrilled with my purchase?

(I'm expecting some mind reading, folks)

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Well for one you have to plug it into a TV and power outlet. See, it is a video game machine, if it's just sitting on your bed you aren't gonna get much use out of it, it doesn't make a good pillow nor a good blanket.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

But in all seriousness, games will come, it hasn't even been a year yet and there are a ton of games set to launch then. Things will get off the ground if they haven't for you already, just takes some time. I have been enjoying my ps4 a ton the past few weeks with Destiny and Mordor. Can't wait to grab Alien later tonight.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OurSin_360

Only if there are game for it you want to play, otherwise it's just a black box that sits on your bed.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Corevi
    hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hoossy

@sackmanjones:

*Turns on*

Ooohhh. OoooOoOoOOhhhhh!!!

I had just been sitting here, commanding the PS4 to entertain me. Entertain me!

Thanks for the pep talk. I actually bought this guy today specifically because of what I heard about Mordor.

Let's give this baby a try.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

If you bought that thing, you'll be able to play new games for years to come. So unless you want to stop playing games, it's absolutely worth it.

I've had a ton of fun with mine despite the perceived lack of games (between physical and digital and PS+, I have more than 20 so I dunno).

sam1am7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sam1am7000

Don't know about the black box... That white box though :D

I've played a bit of Destiny and Mordor so far and both are pretty good.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bybeach

I get the idea the PS4 is powerful. In reality I think the Xbox one is good. also. I prefer pc but if not I would bevery satisfied with one of the consoles with some deference to the order I wrote them. Shadow of Mordor looked quite good in the PS4/ Ultra pc comparison in Pat's Worth Reading.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's only going to get better.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By RenegadeSaint

No, not yet.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I just beat Second Son and enjoyed that. Good little open world game. Destiny is for, especially with friends, and more PS Plus games Wednesday maybe?

FerreroChell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FerreroChell

I've had my black box for a while and although I am disappointed that the game that pushed me into the next generation will not be available till June next year, I've had a great time using it. And its only going to get better, especially since shadow of mordor is out tomorrow where I am.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm kinda in the same boat, cept I already have an over-powered PC and I fully enjoy Steam every day. So maybe not the same boat but somewhere on the horizon!

My PS4 has been sitting here for a few months without being touched much. I log in now and then to grab the free PS+ games, play them for an hour or so, then wait a month for new ones. I see it as a future thing though; eventually there will be a game I want that's only available there. I thought it was going to be MGS5 - but seemingly that's coming to PC. So who knows.

Some day!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infamous, Shadow of Mordor, and MGS Ground Zeroes all look and play like a fucking dream on the PS4. you made a good choice

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Humanity

Decent gaming console but terrible comforter

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TangoUp

Neither of the consoles have got any really good games that appeal to me. By this point in its lifecycle the PS3 had COD4, Uncharted and Warhawk. You might make a flimsy case for Resistance and Heavenly Sword being system sellers too.

But no such thing for this one. Really disappointing. It's supposed to just be a glorified PC so what's holding devs back?

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting on that Bloodborne before I get mine, till then I'll enjoy my semi-powerful PC by pushing it to the limit with.. World of Warcraft!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

When I paid over $600 for a PS3 it was worth it to me because I knew I'd be using it regularly for many years. I played hundreds of games on the damn thing. Some of them were great, some of them were terrible. Most of the time I enjoyed my time spent on it. Games have been becoming less and less enjoyable for me as the years move on. I haven't bought a PS4 yet. I don't know when I will. I know games will come. Fewer and fewer games seem to be worth my time.

I don't know if this box is worth $400 to you or your time. That's something you need to decide.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No you shoulda got the white box.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Maybe buy a video game or two for it. Really though, there's some cool stuff coming out this fall and next year, so even if it seems like a dead weight for now, you'll be glad you bought it down the line. (I felt the same way about my 3ds for the longest time, but that turned out all right) Just think of it as an investment.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's sad to think my black box is almost a year old.... :(

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reaper of Souls local multiplayer. Playing D3 with a controller already beats the hell out of playing with a mouse & keyboard. And then add in playing locally with 3 others! Buying a PS4 was worth it to me just for this.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

So far, it's alright. I dig it, and I think the visual fidelity of some of the games is a cool experience. 60fps is really neat. Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of must-have games for it still. However, that's subjective. I'm sure you'll get plenty of lists thrown at you saying, "well just play all of this".

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, it a PS4 not a blow job.... You might have to moderate your expectation at what joy it will bring on a bed. ;-)

Seriously though, if you want to play some games and you don't have a new computer a PS4 is a poerfectly fine option. Being teh owner of a gaming PC I can say there are advantages (like mods out the wazoo on games that cost half as much), but the PS4 is easy...you get the game it works as long as your TV works. It might not be what the 1% plays, but it is a whole lot better than nothing. If you have a decent HDTv games look nice indeed on it.

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things are just starting to come out for it so it is a good time to pick up one. I just got one a few months ago since I didn't want to shell out for an upgrade to my aging PC, and was just sitting on it pretty much until just this month.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mackgyver

Buyers remorse. It happens all the time. You not buying a new PC or console in a long time is alarming, but if you intend to game on a regular basis then you can rest assure that you got/will get your money's worth with the PS4. I'm sure you compared through the features of recent consoles and games for them and you came to your conclusion for a PS4.

You can't go wrong either way, but good lord, UPGRADE YOUR PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.