Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Living Abroad for a year... Should I bring PS3 or PS4?

dawnclover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dawnclover

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Japan for a year in about two weeks, and I can only bring one of the two consoles with me: PS3 or PS4.

There are a couple of PS Plus games on PS3 I haven't played yet, but then again I have a huge backlog of Steam games that I want to go through, so I kind of want to focus on Steam a bit more than consoles while away, even though I probably won't have that much time to play games. On PS4 I have been playing Trials Fusion and Need for Speed. That's it. But there's some cool stuff coming soon.

Which one would you bring in this situation? I'm thinking PS4 is the smarter choice here, only problem is that it is at Sony getting fixed (disc noise problem), but hopefully it will be here before I leave. PS3 has a lot of games that I absolutely love and really like to replay once in a while, so I'll miss that too. So I'm kind of undecided.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By onlineatron

ps4 with sportsfriends and towerfall loaded on it might be a neat idea if you end up meeting new people. but then i guess most new games coming out in japan will be ps3 games right now

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well, you're not going to be playing any PlayStation 3 or 4 games anyway because of all the PC Engine, Famicom and Neo Geo games you'll be playing instead.

dawnclover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, you're not going to be playing any PlayStation 3 or 4 games anyway because of all the PC Engine, Famicom and Neo Geo games you'll be playing instead.

I like the way you think.

ps4 with sportsfriends and towerfall loaded on it might be a neat idea if you end up meeting new people. but then i guess most new games coming out in japan will be ps3 games right now

I like the way you think too about sportsfriends specifically. I might end up not bringing any of the two, I'll be coming back home in 6 months for around 3 weeks, so if I really want to play any of them I'll take it with me then. I really have a lot of steam games to go through and some vita / 3DS, I don't think I want one more option in the mix to make everything even more complicated. Plus, I do have the desire to buy some retro stuff while there. Decisions!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

Honestly I would bring the PS3 because then you can pick up some hidden japanese gems that haven't come to NA or EU. I was in the same boat as you last year and was leaving for abroad (I'm still there); I ended up buying a Vita over here (Germany) and it is a great purchase that I use all the time.

So I vote PS3 simply because there will be more potential for new games you haven't come across. Also, when you return there'll be a ton new PS4 games for you.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Persona 5 isn't going to be on the PS4.

I'd say leave the PS4 and take the PS3. The PS3 library is pretty massive now, plus there are several PS1 and 2 classics for you to play, so there's lots of stuff to do on it. By the time you get back to the PS4, you'll have quite a selection waiting for you.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7 fisk0  Moderator

I'd say leave the PS4 and take the PS3. The PS3 library is pretty massive now, plus there are several PS1 and 2 classics for you to play, so there's lots of stuff to do on it. By the time you get back to the PS4, you'll have quite a selection waiting for you.

It should be noted that while PS3 games are region free, PS1 and PS2 games are not, if there were any plans on picking up older PlayStation titles.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

@fisk0 said:

@believer258 said:

It should be noted that while PS3 games are region free, PS1 and PS2 games are not, if there were any plans on picking up older PlayStation titles.

The PS1 and PS2 games on PSN aren't region free?

EDIT: Either way, I'm mostly just saying that the PS4 doesn't have a large library yet and, unless the PS3 has been your primary gaming machine from 2006 until now, there's probably a lot of stuff you have yet to play. And when you come back, the PS4 will hopefully be in full-swing and there will be a wealth of games for you to pick from. That part holds up whether or not PS1 and 2 games are region free.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

PS3 and create and beat a huge backlog of PS3 games. Only way to go as the PS4 will then build a better library for when you return to it.

dawnclover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dawnclover

Thanks for your input guys, PS3 is winning, and it feels like the right choice. I have a lot of PSOne classics on the Vita (I'm thinking of starting FFIX on the plane, haven't played that game in years and it's probably my favorite Final Fantasy), and I've only 2 / 3 games on the PS3 that I really want to play right now.

Sure, Persona 5 is coming, that's really tempting as I love that franchise. I'll probably bring the PS3 with me, but still focus mainly on Steam as my backlog on it is freaking ridiculous. I also have 2 games on the Vita I haven't played and 4 on the 3DS. So there's a lot for me to get my game on, more than I'll have time to, but still have my PS3 with me for when Persona 5, and some other upcoming gems drop. There are some PS4 games coming out that I'm really hyped for, but I guess they can wait, and having a bigger library when I come back to it is something to look forward to!

ALSO: Yes, PS3 has been my main console since 2006, so I've played most of everything I've wanted to play on it until now, excluding a few games that weren't released on my region.

Avatar image for spicy_jasonator
    spicy_jasonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Are you definitely staying for only the year? If so bringing the PS3 to play old favorites/local multiplayer from time to time seems like the way to go. The year will go by pretty quickly and it would be a waste to spend a too much of your time at home playing games. You can always catch up on PS4 releases when you get back.

Also suitcase space becomes very precious when you're packing for the year, and having things shipped overseas can be pretty expensive.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

choose the one that is smaller and weighs less

dawnclover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vampir said:

Are you definitely staying for only the year? If so bringing the PS3 to play old favorites/local multiplayer from time to time seems like the way to go. The year will go by pretty quickly and it would be a waste to spend a too much of your time at home playing games. You can always catch up on PS4 releases when you get back.

Also suitcase space becomes very precious when you're packing for the year, and having things shipped overseas can be pretty expensive.

Yeah, that's why I keep saying I probably won't have the time lol, and why I'm seriously thinking of not even bringing any of them and stick to Steam and handhelds. But if I bring one, PS3 is winning. Also, I am staying for a year - for now, since I have a 1 year student visa. If I stay longer will depend on what happens near the end of that year.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ps3 because there is actually a good selection of games to play.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Sambambo

What do your friends back home play? Thats the console I would pick.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Ps4!

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 words: the witcher 3

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By glots

@pyrodactyl said:

3 words: the witcher 3

I'm not sure if a game coming out in late February next year is going to keep him happy for the eight months before that...

Anyways, I can't seem to place myself in your boots properly, so I'm having a tough time answering this question. Despite having played a whole lot of awesome games on PS3, I've long since lost the art of replaying games, unless they are something really special. Even then I can usually only muster enough willpower to play through the first few hours before abandoning the game. PS4...well, I don't know. I'm really unclear on the schedule of "meaningful" games that are still coming out this year. Lots of indie games at least, I suppose, but bigger titles...*shrugs* Destiny in September, I guess? Diablo 3 - Ultimate Evil in August, which I'd guess can offer a whole lot of playing if you like the genre and haven't played it on PS3/PC yet.

But even those are months off, so...I don't know, trust your instincts!

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pyrodactyl

@glottery: Destiny (I'm not that excited either), the last of us super edition if you haven't played the original, dragon age inquisition, shadow of mordor and assassin's creed unity? If you've got internet there's going to be a bunch of indy games I bet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.