Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

News: Playstation Now is Now a Subscription Service

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Cybexx

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/05/playstation-now-subscription-program-all-the-details/

No Caption Provided

I expected this to be posted on Giant Bomb's front page since its probably the first big piece of industry news for 2015 but with Patrick gone I guess we are back to less news and very quiet mondays.

So this jist is that Sony will be offering a subscription option for Playstation Now on January 13th. One month costs $20 but you can save $5 a month by paying for three months at a time ($45). It does not look like individual game rentals will be disappearing yet.

I haven't been following the availability of games on PS Now that closely but it seems like the games at launch are very similar to the games that are available right now on the rental service. Doesn't seem like they are trying to license a bunch of new games for this launch.

Pricing seems appropriate. Obviously more expensive than a Netflix subscription and a bit more expensive than your average MMO subscription. This service cannot be cheap to run so this pricing is in a theoretically acceptable range.

This seems like a service that is an okay deal if you did not own a PS3 and want to play some of that stuff, even though the library could use a lot more fleshing out. If you've had a PS3 and a PS Plus scription for a while you probably already have access to a lot of these games. If you no longer have your PS3 then the library of games available is probably a bit too spotty at the moment and its missing the newer last-gen only stuff like Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel or Persona 4 Arena Ultimax that could make a service like this interesting.

Good start but could use a lot more fleshing out. Will be interesting when they branch out past the PS3.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Bones8677

I'll stick with my PS3 and PS4 combo, what does Sony think i'm made of money? Paying $20 a month to play PS3 games with lag and poor resolution.>_> Silly.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sounds better than that godawful rental system, but I'm still not interested.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Seems Ok i guess, those games probably cost 5-10 dollars if you buy them in a store. I can see myself paying for a month later on just to play a couple games but not sure why anyone would want to continuously be subscribed to this.

Avatar image for mortiferousjoker
    MortiferousJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MortiferousJoker

I just got a free PS3 from my cousin with a good number of games and so I do not need a streaming service. I am happy owning a PS3 and a PS4.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well that's a big step in the right direction.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Did the free 7 days and I liked what I saw. It worked way better than I thought it would but the 20 bucks a month seems a little steep on top of my ps plus subscription.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.