Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

playing a game while downloading?

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

i know Sony has said this to be the case, but im kind of curious? has anyone be able to start downloading a full retail game and at a certain point start playing it? I tried this on my xbox one with ryse and the yeah it let me start the game but i could only cycle through the menus if i tried to play the game i was presented with a download bar. just wondering if Sony did it any better?

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Most just split it single player and multiplayer. You can play the single story while the multiplayer downloads. I think knack allows you to play part of the single player well the rest of it downloads. You still have to wait until it gets to a certain download point.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alright, cool. im downloading tomb raider on my PS4 at the moment and was curious to see if anyone has had success with playing a downloading game on that platform. im still pretty early on in the download so we'll see i guess. maybe once the idea of doing something like this gets ironed out more, devs could give you a ETA as to when you can start playing if at all. To be clear its not the end of the world for me if i cant play it until its 100% i just wanted to gage other peoples experiences. thanks for letting me know about ryse caseius6

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes. The progress bar that shows up on the game (where you press start to start the game) is how much is left until you can play. You won't get far if the game is huge though. I was downloading CoD Ghosts and played about 5 missions before I had to put it down because the download is HUGE so it took forever. I was able to play Killzone after 7GB was downloaded and it's like 37GB. I doubt you'll have to hit 6GB to start playing Tomb Raider.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: yeah i just played tomb raider for oh about 30 mins before i was slapped with a giant progress bar telling me the game is still being installed. oh well. its a really nice idea be able to play something while downloading but it seems there are still kinks in the system to work out or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.