Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PlayStation 4? More like PARTICLEStation 4!

• 56 results
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By awesomeusername

Okay, so everyone has seen those smoke particles in inFAMOUS Second Son and how awesome it looks. But have you seen Killzone, Knack & Resogun? Particles for everyone, particles everywhere!

http://i.minus.com/ibf6Qph1q2MlEV.gif
    I mean holy crud. I love when games have all these little details given so much attention like back when the demo for The Last of Us came out and Joel moved by a closet with clothes and they would move around. That was great and these gifs look beautiful and this is just amazing and holy balls. I want more particles next gen! For all you non-master PC duders, are you excited for next-gen graphics? For about a year now, I've been worn out by the PS3. Only the exclusives like God of War Ascension & The Last of Us wowed me (so far) by how good they look. When I played Metro Last Light on PS3 and watched footage of it on PC, I was blown away. I still can't wait to see Beyond: Two Souls & The Puppeteer on my PS3 but I am ready for next-gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

A video demonstration of these particles, posted within this very thread, would lend support to your theme of 'particles everywhere'.

As it stands there are relatively few particles here.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By awesomeusername

More particles!

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/232/7/2/infamous_second_son___neon_power_full_by_rockshow2oo8-d6izra0.gif

http://i.cubeupload.com/OGKxYm.gif

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

AW DAMN SON

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

Wow... I'm now suddenly just that little bit more interested in one day playing Killzone Shadow Fall. Resogun looks bloody beautiful, too.

I didn't need to see any more to know I will play inFAMOUS: Second Son ASAP. A system seller right there.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Woah - as a person with zero interest in that Killzone game, those particle effects are both unexpected and pretty. The other three games tout their particles, so I'm not surprised.

Hopefully in each case they aren't overwhelming.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By awesomeusername

@yummylee: I'm a Killzone multiplayer fan so I'll be getting it regardless but man if that game isn't pretty. Guerilla sure knows how to make pretty games. inFAMOUS is the game that sold me on PS4 too. I'm so excited to play that game.

@brodehouse: EXACTLY

@selfconfessedcynic I knew it was something a lot of people noticed inFAMOUS and Knack but man, to see them in action is really awesome. I didn't pay that much attention to the Resogun trailer when it released but I knew there were particles all over the place. Just not that crazy looking.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By jimmyfenix

I knew our lord and savior Mark Cerny would deliver !

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#10  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

Oh... my.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By artelinarose

If you like particles, go play Warframe when the PS4 releases!

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose: I will be! It's coming launch day of PS4 so I'll definitely be on that if I get a PS4 day 1.

Oh... my.

Cerny. It's oh my Cerny.

I knew our lord and savior Mark Cerny would deliver !

In the name of the Shu, the Cerny and the holy Mark. Amen.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cloudnineboya

I am looking forward to see how knack turns out, i think this might be a surprise. we need a new cartoon platform/adventure hero/ip.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudnineboya: I am too. Sony is like the only company who offers a lot of platformers today and with Cerny behind Knack, I'm excited. If Knack turns out great and sells well, maybe it'll be the PS4's Sly Cooper/Jak. I also hope we get Sly 5 & Jak 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't want to play Killzone but damn that is starting to seem like a game with an appealing look.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irvandus: If I wasn't a fan of it, I'd play it just because it's pretty

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By zero_

That Resogun gif, haha... so over the top, so great. Can't wait to see that in 1080p60.

Also, Infamous is looking geeeeeewd.

Edit: How do you post gifs so they animate?

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

What other PS4 exclusives are worth note? Infamous isn't out for a while, and there's so many games this year I haven't finished, that I think I'd be better off using that money on a gaming PC. Or a MacBook for school, iPad etc.

Even if ps4 looks better than a PC game, the savings on games on steam vs 60 no sales launch titles.

I find it weird that Sony hasn't told us anything about what Killzone 4 is like gameplay speaking. It looks better, but I didn't like KZ3's weapon bob/sway, the floatiness of the movement, and that multigame type multiplayer mode. What's changed there , you know ?

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By erhard

@boocreepyfootdoctor: A developer said in a Gamespot stream I saw that they've found the "sweet spot" in regard to movement.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DAY FUCKING ONE.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By awesomeusername

@zero_: Same, especially since it'll be free day 1. Unless that's for EU only. inFAMOUS is going to make me cry when I buy it just because I don't know. Also, to get gifs to work on your post, drag it from wherever you got it into your post.That gif is great though. Better then the one I posted so I'm stealing it.

@boocreepyfootdoctor Well I'm a Killzone multiplayer fan so I'm looking forward to that. I love platformers so Knack is for me. I'm not a racing fan unless it's from Criterion so I'm not interested in Driveclub but I'll be playing it simply because it's free to PS+. inFAMOUS is February and easily my most anticipated title. Res0gun is day 1 and at Gamescom, they said it'll be part of the IGC. If it'll be on the IGC for the US remains to be seen. Shadow of the Beast got announced but no one knows who's working on it. The Order: 1886 was announced at E3 and is from Ready at Dawn so I'm excited for that. PEople seem to think that Deep Down is an exclusive but no one knows for sure, we'll see at TGS. Rime looks amazing. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture looks like it'll be great. Plus all the other indies that probably won't make it to PC.

Also remember that Sony has like 13 or so studios that they said are working on PS4 and that's not counting their second party's like , Ready at Dawn, Quantic Dream, Bluepoint Games & Sanzaru Games. Quantic Dream is already working on a PS4 title, Sanzaru is most likely making Sly 5 for PS4 and Bluepoint is said to be working on a PlayStation classic which is who knows what. Guerilla has a new IP which has been in the works for a couple years now. But most of all, Sony isn't announcing anymore AAA's because then they'd take focus away from all the indies and the AAA games they already have announced. I bet they have a bunch of reveals up their sleeves and their next reveal will most likely be Sony Santa Monica's new game at the Spike VGA's.

ALSO ALSO! Some games that launch on PS3 day 1 get PS+ deals if they aren't super high profile games. Metro Last Light was $47 (From $60) day 1 on PSN, The Puppeteer is like $35 (From $40), etc. I bet since digital will be more important then ever next gen that we'll see a lot more discounts on games the day they launch and more sales of older games.

About Killzone multiplayer, they've showed gameplay for single and here's some guy playing multiplayer. They have more details about the game at killzone.com. I really liked the Warzone (?) mode in KZ3. But people can make their own game modes in this Killzone. Don't know much else.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zero_: Just drag the .gif into the textbox.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The non-nerd in me is saying "Why does anybody care so much about a few particle effects?" But the the nerd in me is saying "Oh my god, so pretty!!! I want to go to there."

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsnyder82: I love that the PS4 captures gameplay of the past 15 minutes and you pause and screenshot a part. It'll make capturing cool stuff easy and keeping that would be great.

@benpicko said:

DAY FUCKING ONE.

For PS4?

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zero_ said:

That Resogun gif, haha... so over the top, so great. Can't wait to see that in 1080p60.

Also, Infamous is looking geeeeeewd.

Edit: How do you post gifs so they animate?

It's a bug in the posting application - drag/drop the gif into the post rather than using the GB image posting options.

And yes, inFamous looks freaking awesome. Also, that draw distance goes for MILES (but you can see some pop-in here that I hope they'll fix).

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsnyder82: I love that the PS4 captures gameplay of the past 15 minutes and you pause and screenshot a part. It'll make capturing cool stuff easy and keeping that would be great.

@benpicko said:

DAY FUCKING ONE.

For PS4?

Yes, I'll be in another country when it releases but I'll find a way

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benpicko: If you pre-order from Wal Mart, theyll put it on layaway until December 13th, unless you'll be out of the country until then, too.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like particles. Especially when they bounce around all physics like.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Strife777

You get particles! And you get particles! And you! And you! You too!

Everyone gets particles!

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selfconfessedcynic: They still have 5 months until inFAMOUS ships. I'm sure that pop-in will be gone by then.

@benpicko That sucks. Good luck with getting yours day 1 though! What games you plan on buying?

@somedelicook We get all kinds of bouncy particles! Them blue static particles in Killzone, them bouncy relics in Knack, them smokey particles in inFAMOUS (causes cancer), and them blown up ship particles in Res0gun!

@strife777 We got all kinds of colored particles!

No Caption Provided

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benpicko: If you pre-order from Wal Mart, theyll put it on layaway until December 13th, unless you'll be out of the country until then, too.

I live in Canada so I'm not sure if they'll do the same here and I'll still be in England at that point.

@benpicko That sucks. Good luck with getting yours day 1 though! What games you plan on buying?

I was thinking about getting Killzone, Knack, Watch_Dogs, Resogun, and potentially Assassin's Creed IV and BF4, but I'll most likely wait to until I upgrade my PC for Battlefield

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By awesomeusername

@benpicko: That's pretty much what I want to pick up with my future PS4 day 1 minus AC4 (Will wait for a price drop). Plus Warframe, Blacklight Retribution and Planetside 2 since those are day 1 and F2P. I'm not interested in Driveclub but since it's free for PS+ I'll be playing that. Also at Gamescom, they announced Res0gun would be available day 1 for PS+ users. I'm pretty sure they meant for EU but I hope they announce it's free for NA also. I don't want BF4 at all either. Unless my friend buys it on PSN and I download it off him.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By TheHBK

I upgraded to a really nice PC a couple months ago. Sure I stop to see the games look nice and all, but I am like, man, graphics really don't matter. They haven't made the games anymore fun. Well except getting 60 fps. I think graphically, that is what you notice the most. Art design is much more important. I still think Killzone 2 looks amazing, so does Uncharted 2. BUt damn did I think Killzone 2 sucked.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

I upgraded to a really nice PC a couple months ago. Sure I stop to see the games look nice and all, but I am like, man, graphics really don't matter. They haven't made the games anymore fun. Well except getting 60 fps. I think graphically, that is what you notice the most. Art design is much more important. I still think Killzone 2 looks amazing, so does Uncharted 2. BUt damn did I think Killzone 2 sucked.

Don't forget that Uncharted 2 blew pretty hard as well.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By awesomeusername

@thehbk: Of course they don't matter but eye candy is never a bad thing. I feel like art style is more important when it's a game that's trying to look different. When it comes to games like Killzone, Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc., the graphics are important because they're going for a more (for the lack of a better word) realistic tone. I want characters/NPC's to look as real as they can and I want environments to look as beautiful as they can make it. But when it's a game like Rime, The Unfinished Swan or Journey, the art style is what matters most.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By Seppli

Those things in Resogun are actually interactive voxels (three-dimensional pixels). Not quite sure those are mere particle effects. Then again, I know nothing about voxels.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: I don't know. It looks like the city in the middle of that level is blowing up but then again it seems like the buildings(?) are still there at the end. I doubt all of that is interactive though. Just looks like a lot of particles blowing into the air. In the beginning of the gif, they look like they're in the background. The part before the ship speeds away shows him flying through it but not actually making contact with it. I think that's just a celebration for beating the level.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't that the truth. SO looking forward to this!

Loading Video...

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose said:

Loading Video...

HOLY MOTHER OF CERNY! I want all those particles all over my body. I'm a partiphile.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@awesomeusername: Resogun's exploding geometry, and pretty much everything, is Voxels. Which is not quite a particle effect.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac said:

@artelinarose said:

HOLY MOTHER OF CERNY! I want all those particles all over my body. I'm a partiphile.

And the best part is that it's a free to play co-op game that will be available on day one.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose said:

Loading Video...

This looks nice, but there's lag all over the place, and it looks like the game is running at less than 30fps. It's not always a bad thing, but for a fast-paced game like this, it's a big problem.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@eujin said:

@awesomeusername: Resogun's exploding geometry, and pretty much everything, is Voxels. Which is not quite a particle effect.

You make it sound like a bad thing. I see an exciting future for games usings voxels. Everquest Next for exampe is voxel-based. Jeez! MMO with procedural and complete Minecraft-esque destructibility and editability?

I really wonder how well PS4 will handle voxels. Are complex open world games with pure voxel based destructible environments in the realm of the possible?

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@eujin said:

You make it sound like a bad thing. I see an exciting future for games usings voxels. Everquest Next for exampe is voxel-based. Jeez! MMO with procedural and complete Minecraft-esque destructibility and editability?

I really wonder how well PS4 will handle voxels. Are complex open world games with pure voxel based destructible environments in the realm of the possible?

Well. Uh. Voxels it is then. Sheesh, you guys just like to ruin my dreams.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

@artelinarose said:

And the best part is that it's a free to play co-op game that will be available on day one.

I know man. It's the F2P title I'm most looking forward to. I seriously hope Sony opens more pre-orders or has enough systems here (in the U.S.) at launch so I can pick one up day 1 if I get the money. I'm so pumped for the PS4 it's unhealthy!

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Silver-Streak

@awesomeusername: I did not mean for it to sound like a bad thing. To be clear, VOXELS ARE AWESOME. They're also CRAZY CPU/GPU intensive, so the fact they can do HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF VOXELS moving indepedently at 1080p/60fps is AMAZING.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eujin: My comment was a joke. But it doesn't matter. Both voxels & particles are awesome! I want more of both on PS4!

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This shit looks fucking rad. Knack is still probably one of the top 3 games I'm most excited about. Killzone looks good too even though I haven't played any of the others, and holy shit Infamous looks awesome and I love the main char's aesthetic. I wish I had the money for a PS4 at launch.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i particularly like this hey oooooooo!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.