Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4: Reviews!

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

man...polygon is kinda whack.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Has anyone seen the comments on the "PS4 is broken oh no run away!" article on IGN? They're something else!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#303  Edited By musubi
    bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#305  Edited By Ozzie

Really I'm ok with the games score, even from the start I thought the Xone had much better launch line up but I saw PS4 had much better games coming out later, specifically a lot of Indie games, so I'm buying this consul for the long term not the launch line up. I'll have BF4 to keep me busy till more games come out. Eventually I'll get an Xone onces the price goes down in a few years or buy it used just probably won't get live.

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#306  Edited By Mike17032

@syed117 said:

Hopefully the day Xbox One reviews go up will be a brighter because waking up to this stuff today didn't instill much confidence in getting the PS4 on Friday.

For me I am counting on Forza to carry that system for a while.

I ended up not canceling my PS4 preorder, and I am just about to hook it up. I went with AC4 and the surprisingly hard to find Injustice: Gods Among Us. Best Buy was sold out of that game, and the Gamestop across the street sold me their last copy.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Now people can be mad at Jeff and Arthur. Good times.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#308  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Looks like reviews of Need for Speed Rivals and more NBA 2K14 reviews are starting to hit. Those two seem like they might be a couple of the best reasons to jump into next gen right now. I'm really happy to see a return to form for NFS with it favoring Hot Pursuit more than last year's somewhat disappointing Most Wanted.

There's also footage of Madden 25 getting out there, and it looks like a total bummer in the same way that the early 360/PS3 entries were. Upon a quick glance, the PS4 footage seems almost indistinguishable from the current gen version. There might be a few more polygons in the players, but it's nothing mind blowing.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309  Edited By AMyggen

@chaser324 said:

Looks like reviews of Need for Speed Rivals and more NBA 2K14 reviews are starting to hit. Those two seem like they might be a couple of the best reasons to jump into next gen right now. I'm really happy to see a return to form for NFS with it favoring Hot Pursuit more than last year's somewhat disappointing Most Wanted.

There's also footage of Madden 25 getting out there, and it looks like a total bummer in the same way that the early 360/PS3 entries were. Upon a quick glance, the PS4 footage seems almost indistinguishable from the current gen version. There might be a few more polygons in the players, but it's nothing mind blowing.

EA doing what EA does: The absolute minimum. It's great to see that 2K has upped the visuals on NBA 2K14 for next gen, even if the game plays more or less the same as the current gen versions. Can't wait to see what 2K does with 2K15.

Hot Pursuit looks great, but shame that it's 30 FPS on the consoles. A game like that is SO MUCH BETTER at 60 fps (see: the Burnout franchise). It seems like it's locked at 30 FPS on PCs for some reason, but I'm guessing some modders will find a way to "fix" that.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, just Arthur. While I don't always agree with Jeff I at least trust he isn't being facetious.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The only goddamn release worth a fucking shit in 2013.

@djou said:

Windjammers.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#312  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@artisanbreads said:

Nah, just Arthur. While I don't always agree with Jeff I at least trust he isn't being facetious.

People are giving Arthur shit for review CoD Ghosts though (he didn't). Shit has jumped the shark.

Even I feel bad for him.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: The only way I feel bad for Arthur isbif something actually tragic happens to him. If its just douchebags on the internet giving him shit Im still going to laugh.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By spraynardtatum
    Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bit of a harmless bump, but I thought this review of the system itself from The AV Club was compelling:

Consoles used to be dumb beasts. In the days of the NES and the Sega Genesis, if you turned on a console without inserting a video game first, the machine would sit there blinking in panic. “You have to feed me a game,” it would say, wordlessly. “That’s how this relationship works. You feed me a game, and I let you play it.”

Now the beasts feed themselves. When you start up an Xbox 360, you get a panoply of entertainments and marketing come-ons that the console gobbles from Microsoft’s servers and regurgitates on your screen. Apps, movie trailers, and deodorant commercials flood the display in a reasonable facsimile of the eyeball-searing TVs in Idiocracy. The PS3’s XrossMediaBar interface is not as garish, but it too has seen marketing metastasis take hold. (Plus, it’s as confusing as you’d expect something called the XrossMediaBar to be.)

The PlayStation 4 attempts to restore dignity to the player-console relationship. The $400 device, released last Friday, is more deferential than its predecessor. There’s an unassuming spirit to the PS4 that starts with the industrial design. The machine is a tight form that’s defined by one eye-catching detail—a sharp slope on the front and back faces that gives the box a quiet, confident edge—and a slew of well-considered touches. The power and eject buttons blend into the hardware so seamlessly that they’re practically invisible, and the same goes for the disc slot.

The unit’s indicator light, a long stripe between the glossy and matte sections of the console along the top, is the one element of the exterior that flirts with excess, but it works so well in context that it’s an essential part of the design. When that stripe glows to life, the PS4 seems like a piece of alien technology, with the light hinting at power within. The machine needs that stroke of excitement to complement the silent blackness of the overall look.

This is the type of machine that Sony ought to build. It’s a return to the calm futurism of the PlayStation 2 and a departure from the bulbous flash of the original PlayStation 3, with its plasticky chrome and hideous Spider-Man logo font. Sony falters when it tries to be flashy—the result always ends up feeling like a bunch of starched-shirt Tokyo engineers straining to be cool (because that’s what it is). But historically, no company other than Apple can match the elegance that Sony achieves in its best hardware, and it’s nice to see the company be true to its soul again.

It is, in a word, dull. And that’s a compliment. The console shouldn’t be the star of the show. The games and the players deserve the spotlight. Sony seems to recognize this, and the PS4 hews closer to the notion of a “platform”—a blank infrastructure on which amazing things can be built.

Players have plenty of time to wait and see if the platform grows into its potential, as there’s no killer exclusive title that makes it worthwhile to run out and buy one right now. But Sony has laid solid groundwork, both in its powerful hardware and its austere software, for a machine that can stand back and let players occupy the stage. If only every console were so boring.

http://www.avclub.com/article/the-playstation-4-is-appealingly-dull-105837

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.