Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PSN Plus price changes

Uberjannie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hi,

I just recieved an email stating that the PSN Plus prices in norway changes the 31st of August.
    The yearly sub goes up around 10 USD.
    How do you guys feel about this?

-Febs

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm waying up wether or not to cancel my subscription.

Vastaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Received one also in UK. Pretty sure I'll cancel my subscription tbh, haven't played multiplayer or PS4 for months, not sure what justifies the £10 increase a year to be honest, I don't play any of the "free" games anyway

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

It's not even worth the current asking price. PSN is and has been worse than original Xbox Live. It lacks basic functionality such as instant cloud sync and the service is down at least once a month, usually quite a bit more. If you are lucky, it happens while you are sleeping or on a day(s) you are not playing. I haven't had an issue with it myself for a little over a month now, but a friend of mine couldn't play twice in that same time (he often plays a little later than me).

I don't own an Xbox One, but I remember my Xbox 360 couldn't connect to Xbox Live because of an issue on their end exactly one time. For like 12 hours. And I received a week free Gold for that with an apology I didn't even ask for.

Unfortunately, I cannot cancel my subscription because of Destiny 2. It's quite unfortunate that Sony has a monopoly on the PS4's online service (logical, obviously, but unfortunate) because they would likely be my last choice. Being limited to 'yes I want to play online' and 'no I do not want to play online', is not really a choice though. That's saying I cannot play some of my favorite games.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely not renewing this year. It's not really worth £40 a year for me. The discounts are nice but I don't want to pay £50 for the service.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@zevvion said:

Unfortunately, I cannot cancel my subscription because of Destiny 2. It's quite unfortunate that Sony has a monopoly on the PS4's online service (logical, obviously, but unfortunate) because they would likely be my last choice. Being limited to 'yes I want to play online' and 'no I do not want to play online', is not really a choice though. That's saying I cannot play some of my favorite games.

Without any sort of announcement towards better server download speeds, less downtime or any other improvements to the service, this entirely feels like they know they have people like you, who want to use that ecosystem and have maybe have friends who are tied to that ecosystem over a barrel. Your choice is simply pay it or don't play your games with your friends. It's not really much of a choice for some people.

I'd love to see them actually make some improvements to the service, but I don't think they will.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got the same email. I'm glad I extended my subscription when they did a big discount recently, but once that one goes up next year I don't know if I'll renew.

PSN is still a sluggish mess, I don't play multiplayer games, and the PS Plus games they're offering are usually not that good considering the PS Plus price. Let's see if they improve it until next year.

Uberjannie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Uberjannie

Yeah. Turns out I have paid for PSN Plus for several years in the hopes of my girlfriend wanting to play something. Alas, she does not, so my PS4 keeps collecting dust only to be used in the rare event of a bluray movie needs to be watched. I only play PC-games and use steam-link on the tv. So RIP almost three years of subscription, I will terminate my sub, I've been giving Sony free monies for far too long as it is..

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Castiel

I haven't had PS plus for at couple of months now. I have been okay without it since I don't really play that many online only games. I do want to play the new Friday the 13th game but since I would have to also buy PS plus to even play it I haven't bought it yet. Money is a little tight at the moment and PS plus isn't really something I want to pay for right now.

Regarding the price change. I don't think PS plus as an online service is worth paying for when it was "cheaper". Download speeds suck and I often have to disconnect and reconnect my PS4 to access the PS store and other online things. It's simply too slow and too unreliable as a service. I have paid for it previously because I had to in order to play online games.

I wish that Sony would offer a cheaper alternative to their PS plus prices. I would gladly pay for a cheaper yearly subscription where I didn't get the monthly PS plus games to be honest. They are not that important to me. Besides I can't play any of the games I "bought" back when I did have my PS plus subsription since I'm not a plus member at this moment. It is a subscription service after all but I frankly think the price is too damn high and I don't care about the games. It's not free games. You are just paying to rent them.

Sony really need to up their game when it comes to their online services or lack of any service. It sucked on PS3 and it still sucks on PS4. A change in price that makes it even more expensive is just not justified. The online elements of PS4 are the worst things about it. If you want to have people to pay money you better have a rock solid online subsription. Better download speeds and a stable connection should be the minimum requirement but not even that is Sony capable of delivering.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I got the 15 months for £29 deal on Amazon Prime day, so I'm covered for a while. Every month which goes by, I'm getting less and less value from it though, so when my subscription runs out I'll have some hard thinking to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This;

@dave_tacitus said:

I got the 15 months for £29 deal on Amazon Prime day, so I'm covered for a while.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zevvion said:

Your choice is simply pay it or don't play your games with your friends. It's not really much of a choice for some people.

It's this, mostly.

I want to play D2 and I want to play everything in it, which means I need PS Plus. The alternative is playing on PC, but my friends aren't there, I would be forced to play the competitive side with KB/M which I do not want to do and perhaps worst of all, it launches way later. So I'm stuck between two options I don't want: either I pay the extra € 10 a year or I will forfeit playing the most anticipated game of the year for me on launch until nearly 2 months later, won't be able to play it how I want and won't be able to play with friends.

Looking at it like that, it's almost as if I'm paying € 10 to get two months early access, enable play with friends and being able to play on a skill level playing field. It is easily the best option of the two if I look at facts. But they don't deserve my money for what they are 'offering'.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny. I read all these posts on all these websites about how terrible Sony's online capabilities are... slow downloads on PSN... etc, etc... and I've never had any issues other than the occasional down time... which by the way Microsoft has as well.

I must live in the BEST place to be a Playstation user.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I think I accidentally bought an extra year of PS+ a while ago so I'm in until like next May or something already. This video paid for PS+ for a year by itself. Aside from that Until Dawn, Darkstalkers, Tokyo Jungle this month, Life Is Strange, Killing Floor 2 (great game) in June, Just Cause 3 in August (!?). I don't like Telltale games but GoT right when it was relevant. PS+ was looking a bit dire for a while but lately it's been pretty damn good; also infinite PS4 backlog. We're most likely getting Darkest Dungeon and Pyre in the future as well.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They raised it to 60$ here like a year ago i guess, and it was already too much at 50$ IMO. Haven't had plus in almost 2 years now.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might have to reconsider renewing, come next year. At the moment I'm good because I bought one year's worth of time from the Summer Sale.

notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a year's subscription, but since beating Bloodborne, I haven't used the PS+ service a single time. There's really just a dearth of online games I'm at all interested in. Titanfall 2 is a fun shooter, but I'm pretty burned out on those, and all of the free games I've gotten through PS+ that I didn't already buy have ranged from bad to forgettable. I'll hold onto it until I play Dark Souls 3, but that's really the only thing I see myself doing with the service within the next year or two. None of the online-focused games launching in the foreseeable future (Destiny, CoD, the various pirate games at E3) look even vaguely interesting to me.

Raising the price without addressing long-standing complaints about the service's basic functionality (DL speeds and downtime) feels kind of scummy, but such is the way of business, I guess...

rccola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rccola

I let mine run out, now I just buy a single month when I feel the need and drop out again. It's not a bad way to use the service.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't bother me. I paid £30 for a top-up last month.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So, does this price increase mean that I can finally change my embarrassing PSN name?

Huh? Huh?

...No?

Eh. Oh well.

@zevvion said:

I want to play D2 and I want to play everything in it, which means I need PS Plus. The alternative is playing on PC, but my friends aren't there...

But you'll have me! Let me be your friend!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It really sucks that they don't even allude to some sort of justification for the price increase like some ethereal service upgrade or even better download speeds.

Nope it's just, hey we want more money, that's about it.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Teddie

In NZ, they only increased the 3-month subscription (which used to be a great deal compared to the other options, which is obviously why they changed it), but that was years ago and they haven't touched it here. But then, it's more expensive than what people have been listing their local prices as and always has been, so.

The only thing I ever do is sub for a month every now and then, either when I really want to play something online (rarely), or when $10 is a great deal for one of the "free" games (even rarer).

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"We're moving it in line with RRP of a new release" doesn't sound so good on paper.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: it's raised to account for inflation.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@humanity said:

It really sucks that they don't even allude to some sort of justification for the price increase like some ethereal service upgrade or even better download speeds.

Nope it's just, hey we want more money, that's about it.

Or even just the psn store moving faster than a dead slug would be better than nothing for me.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, fuck that. I wasn't willing to pay at the old price.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll never give them a cent.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I mean, this is what happens when you dominate a market like this. You can kinda just do things and say "fuck you, pay us, where you gonna go to, them?".

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#29  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm out this coming year. I have better shit to waste my money on.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. It's how things work. Just about everything goes up in price and rarely is there a justifiable reason.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The justifiable reason very often tends to be inflation. Again, they've bumped it in line with the retail price of a new release. It's been £40 (one upon a time, the new release price) since it was popularised during the PS3 era. An extra tenner a year? If your wallet's feeling that, you've got bigger problems at hand.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

PSN is just a little runny, it's still good. It's still good.

Remember when people when people thought that there was absolutely no way that Sony was gonna charge for PSN for PS4? That was like 4 years ago, now? Those have been some good times indeed, friend-o.

Avatar image for thecatswhiskers
    thecatswhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I don't think the price rise is unreasonable, but it does give rise to me reconsideirng the value of a service that I rarely use, and 'free' games that I rarely play. On this basis I probably wont be renewing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.