Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

(Rumor) Possible Playstation 4 Neo price and release date

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rahf

This comes via the Swedish site Sweclockers, where they linked to a Spanish Amazon webpage containing a price (€400) and release date (Oct 13). No information regarding US prices.

No Caption Provided

This site revealed the release date of Xbox One S, right before official announcements were made.

I will edit the title, depending on whether this is rebuked or confirmed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

13th October is the date for PSVR.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By monkeyking1969

I'll come at this from a different angle. If Sony want to put this out they need to position it, i.e. they need to explain what it is and what it isn't so they don't end up screwing things up like Microsoft has done for itself.

I think until we see them position a new entry, a slim or a neo, this system isn't happening. I think Sony has watched the shit storm of XBOne S and Scorpio with interest. What has worked for Sony is to Zag when Microsoft Zigs. Too many pundits are talking about "the new reality" of consoles being iterative and having substantive mid-stream upgrades. Yet, we have yet to see that occur, so this 'new reality' is rather theoretical at this point.

I would be very wary of thinking that we will see anything except PSVR in October. In fact, PSVR dropping at that time, would be the BEST indicator that nothing else will happen fro another six months. Ramp up, release, and support of PSVR is all Sony will, have time for in the next six months.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

From a business perspective, it seems odd to release a new-spec PS4 and the PSVR on the same day. As a consumer, that's going to be a tough call to make as to which one to buy. If that $400 price point holds up across all the markets, that is only $50 more than the current PS4 with a few pack-ins. I'm not claiming to have any insider info on this hot exclusive, but I can't imagine that a base NEO comes with a game if they want the price to hold at $400 given the specs they are shooting for. That could be more likely the case because there were some rumors flying around E3 after Andrew House of Sony talked with the Financial Times that Sony was looking to upgrade the specs that Austin and others had reported on when the whole NEO saga started back in March. Now as the show bore out, Sony said nothing about the NEO, that could be for a few reasons: Sony wanted distance from Microsoft after they came out and soft announced the Scorpio. Another scenario is that Sony heeded the rumors and reporting that happened around the Scorpio and knew that the specs on it's NEO wouldn't stack up and they needed to come back to the drawing board. I would put money down and say that Sony is probably hard at work trying to improve the NEO hardware specs.

If that's the case, then is a $400 NEO with no game a better value proposition than a base PS4 that has a $60 game and maybe some PSN built into a $350 price point? As a someone who is in the market for a PS4, I'm having to weigh these options for myself and that is getting harder and harder to do as news and info keeps coming out. But that doesn't even cover the aspect that this NEO could be launched along side the PSVR.

That choice is a whole other can of worms. Do you go with a NEO that is more powerful but is basically a PS4, or do you go whole hog on VR. There is also the other aspect that a VR purchase probably won't cost just $400 for the headset. A lot of PSVR games either use one or more Move controllers and all PSVR games need the Playstation Eye camera to function so the the head tracking works. All told, you could be looking at a $500 barrier of entry into VR. Which when compared to other headsets and the hardware requirements you need, that's still on the cheaper end (assuming you already own the PS4), but also $400-$500 is still quite a bit of money for a majority of people. There's is also the option that a lot of people balk at PSVR and NEO when it launches and people wait on it. Based on the conversations people on this site have about VR in general, a majority of people think it's cool but are waiting for it have more games or get cheaper, and the people who do have a Rift or a Vive are on the high end of enthusiasts. I can very easily see a market situation develop where current PS4 owners don't get NEO or PSVR and just play on their base PS4. At this point it's up to Sony to convince me and the public at large that I need to care more about NEO and PSVR. Because right now, a base PS4 seems totally fine right now for my gaming needs, and I think a sizeable chunk of the gaming populace feel similarly.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could be wrong but i highly doubt anything neo related will come out this year, they didn't even announce the thing. This is probably a misprint for psVR or something.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I could be wrong but i highly doubt anything neo related will come out this year, they didn't even announce the thing. This is probably a misprint for psVR or something.

The other thought is that Sony isn't going to formerly announce new hardware, and then not release that hardware for six months to a year, while customers hear about this fact and refuse to purchase a current PS4 because of it.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@oursin_360 said:

The other thought is that Sony isn't going to formerly announce new hardware, and then not release that hardware for six months to a year, while customers hear about this fact and refuse to purchase a current PS4 because of it.

They've already acknowledged that it's a real thing - so the doubt is already in the minds of those that follow these type of announcements and news. Granted ,that's not the mass-market that cares or even reads more than "new PlayStation coming" but that still might be enough to have those wallets going back in pockets instead of getting out the card.

I honestly can't decide if launching day and date with PSVR and Neo is somewhat smart, or entirely suicidal. Smart in that angle of "you want the best of the best, this and this here you go, money please." or if launching 2 $400 skus on the same day might have people laughing in their faces. The real question is going to be when they start to market - if it is indeed Oct 13 they still have a little time to start getting the message out there but it's got to be an expert marketing play. I hope they pull it off but there's a lot of variables in this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.