Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Steam on Playstation

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By leebmx

I seem to remember way back when Portal 2 was released that Gaben came out on stage at E3 and there was a Steam service for Playstation. Does this still exist? Did it ever go anywhere? I don't remember hearing anything about it since then.

Is it still a thing?

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By zidd

It was integrated into the PS3 version of Portal 2. It was neat because if you bought a new copy you got cross-buy with the PC version. It would allow you to play with your steam friends on PC or PS3, earn steam achievements and the chat with your steam friends on the steam overlay.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Djratchet

Yup, just Portal 2. I guess the theory is whenever Valve puts out another console game, they already have that stuff in place for next time.

It was going to be in CS: GO, but I am pretty sure it got scrapped before release.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, so it was mainly for PS3 owners who were already PC users with Steam? If you are just a console player I suppose there isn't much point.

I was just wondering why Valve did it and what advantage it gave them. Its not like anyone is going to let them put a store front up on a console.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@leebmx: Not directly no but PS3 owners were also given a free copy of portal 2. To redeem it you needed a valid steam account obviously which in turn brings those people into the ecosystem that is Steam.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It was great co-advertising at the time.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

i remember it was a good way to get portal 2 cheap, buying ps3 version, get free copy of pc and then reselling ps3 version for almost full price back to the store.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By lego_my_eggo

It was just a version of Steamworks for PS3. I think it also let them patch the game without having to go through Sony, so they could patch and change things on a whim and not have to wait for certification, but im not %100 sure on that.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By leebmx

@leebmx: Not directly no but PS3 owners were also given a free copy of portal 2. To redeem it you needed a valid steam account obviously which in turn brings those people into the ecosystem that is Steam.

Right - I don't know why, but at the time I had this picture of it leading to something bigger especially with the PS3 supposedly 'open' system. I guess it was just a marketing move to try and tell people about Steam.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@marz: It wouldn't be a bad system if they made the console version digital download only

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.