Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Suspend/resume sold me on the PS4

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This was the number one thing I was looking for with the new consoles and if the next box doesn't have this I'll be going PS4 for sure. I've been using my vita and 3ds alot lately just because of this feature because I never really know when I'll have time to play and there's nothing worse than stressing out about when the next time I'll be able to save my game.

And it has a hideous controller. Count me in.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By ManMadeGod

The vast majority of games today have an auto save feature. I can't remember the last time I stressed about having to save.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@manmadegod: That's hardly the issue. It's the part where you get to skip the entire boot up of the system. Skip through starting the game, watching all the publisher/developer logos, pressing the start button , clicking resume game and then waiting for it to load. Being able to suspend a game to say go to a class and come back to pick up instantly with no delay is extremely appealing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@manmadegod: That's hardly the issue. It's the part where you get to skip the entire boot up of the system. Skip through starting the game, watching all the publisher/developer logos, pressing the start button , clicking resume game and then waiting for it to load. Being able to suspend a game to say go to a class and come back to pick up instantly with no delay is extremely appealing.

Indeed. This is an excellent feature on the Vita and it's one that I'm happy has finally come to a console.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

This is the biggest reason my 3DS and Vita has been seeing much more use recently than my PS3. Add to this the ability to stream games off my PS4 onto my Vita and I'm going to be in gaming nirvana.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@manmadegod said:

The vast majority of games today have an auto save feature. I can't remember the last time I stressed about having to save.

I'd agree most have auto save but that doesn't mean the auto save isn't in a dumb spot 15-45 minutes away (at best) from where you finished playing.

I've definitely been annoyed when going back to a game when "I have to do this again!?" Instant resume sounds pretty intuitive and natural to me.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love the pick up and play feature of both the Vita and 3DS and I am pretty excited by the prospect of doing the same thing on consoles. It's about time!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if the game has an autosave it rarely lets you save exactly where you are and uses checkpoints. Sometimes checkpoints can be 10,15 or even 30 minutes apart and it's awesome that I wont have to think about the last time I saw the saving icon pop up. There are also a lot of games that still require hard saves and they're a pain in the ass. I played Persona 4 on my vita and am currently working through Ni No Kuni on my PS3 and I hate the fact the once I start a dungeon I need to get to the end before I'm able to save. I also don't think I'd be able to play MG4 in my current situation because you never know when you're going to be starting a 9 hour cut scene.

Suspend/Resume eliminates all these problems and is my favorite part of handheld gaming.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I just want to be able to go to system settings without quitting the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.