Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

This thing is a complete mess.

• 78 results
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

That sucks man. Haven't had any issues with either of my systems. Hopefully your replacement will be fine.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

What the fuck is wrong with people? Yeah, dude just paid $400 and is having a hard time getting everything setup and going. You'd be frustrated too. Christ. Quit being a jerk, ya jerks.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@dezztroy said:

@cramsy said:

@marokai said:

@milkman said:

TL;DR - just buy a fucking PC.

Definitely the way to go if you don't ever want to deal with technical issues, you're right.

Yeah he's totally right man. It was one of the best days of my life when I had to fuck around for 4 hours trying to get the sims 3 to work on my sisters laptop. It was just so easy to download patches and drivers, reinstall corrupted files, deal with origin then start and re-start the game with different graphic settings until it ran smoothly. Truly an issue-free platform

If it took you 4 hours to install Sims 3, maybe PC gaming isn't for you.

Because people who know how to use a PC never run into software issues, right?

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I almost feel bad for you OP but this only reaffirms my opinion that being an early adopter of any new technology usually comes with huge caveats. You money would've been better spent getting a new video card for next gen.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#55  Edited By big_jon

Sounds like you should get your anger in check dude. Launch consoles have issues sometimes, getting angry enough to want to smash a machine you just bough is pretty fucking silly.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By TruthTellah

Sorry to hear it's giving you such problems, @milkman. I hate to hear that. Hopefully you can get a replacement that will work smoothly for you. You're definitely not alone in it, and it'll get sorted out.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#Troublehammer

Good luck with the RMA man, My PS4 came without the HDD inserted into the SATA port, some serious shit went down at manufacturing.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@tarsier said:

hammer joke wasnt funny

Tough crowd!

Gallagher hasn't been funny in yea....well ever man.

And sucks to hear that. This is why I don't buy consoles on day 1. Only games with fat plumbers in cat outfits.

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOMETHING WRONG HAPPENED AND I AM GOING TO RAGE INTO A TEXT BOX ON THE INTERNET

I'd do the same thing if I spent $399.99 on something and it wasn't working properly.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Never buy a launch system. You're paying to be a beta tester.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh you are sure your ps4's power saving isn't turned on and it isn't shutting itself down right? Mine was set to 2 hours of inactivity = full shutdown by default. Sucks to hear you are having this issue either way.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to make a joke with MC Hammer but I got nothing.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Seikenfreak
    @andorski said:

Never buy a launch system. You're paying to be a beta tester.

Been a pretty sweet Beta test so far then. Missing a few features but it still plays games. ;)

sjwho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its called an inactivity timer. Jeeez, you'd think people would know this by now.
    (and you can edit the timer or turn it off in options).

Either way, it seems like the guy didn't even care to try and fix the problem and just gave up.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was going to make a joke with MC Hammer but I got nothing.

Why make a joke when you can find a gif?

No Caption Provided

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

I'm one of the suckers who ordered a PS4 when it was in stock on Amazon the night of release and since hooking it up yesterday, it has been nothing but a fucking headache.

Sound more like you're one of those suckers that doesn't know how things work, I suggest you avoid electronics, buy yourself a nice set of lawn bowling balls then go have a blast.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sjwho2 said:

Its called an inactivity timer. Jeeez, you'd think people would know this by now.

(and you can edit the timer or turn it off in options).

Either way, it seems like the guy didn't even care to try and fix the problem and just gave up.

If it was the inactivity timer, why would it tell me that console wasn't turned off properly?

@milkman said:

I'm one of the suckers who ordered a PS4 when it was in stock on Amazon the night of release and since hooking it up yesterday, it has been nothing but a fucking headache.

Sound more like you're one of those suckers that doesn't know how things work, I suggest you avoid electronics, buy yourself a nice set of lawn bowling balls then go have a blast.

Thanks, Mike. Very helpful. You have any lawn bowling balls that you recommend? Nothing too complicated, of course. Just something for a beginner like me.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

It just sounds like you've got a defective model. Shit happens, and all technology is prone to failure. As others have recommended, I advise you to avoid PC gaming--it's similar, but opens up so much more room for a variety of failures.

Two to three times a week, my PC just goes nuts and hardlocks; judging by the weird state of the monitor during said freezing, I'd probably say that my graphics card is prone to overheating despite having solid ventilation and whatnot. And this consistent lockup is distinct from the many other forms of technical annoyance that my PC enjoys: games crashing all the time, myriads of audio codec issues that plague video watching, and spending the necessary 20-30 minutes of graphics settings fiddling before 'starting' any game I buy.

The grass isn't always greener. I love PC gaming, console gaming, and handheld gaming; with that said, if you want the most streamlined and simple experience, console gaming is the way to go.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Following the hot trends of "gamers are too entitled" and "ludonarrative dissonance" my favorite new term is "expected launch console issues"

Like, of course, of course your console is broken you idiot, you bought it at launch. Why would you expect this $400 piece of hardware to work correctly - don't put this on Sony, it's a launch console you only have yourself to blame.

You hear this over and over again like it's an acceptable situation and it's not. You shouldn't have to worry that your launch console is going to be physically inferior to a model released in 5 months.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Seikenfreak

Yes. Everything in life should be perfect. Perfect or nothing at all.

Speaking of broken launch consoles being obsolete in a few months.. My "inferior" launch 60 Gig PS3 is still going strong. And hmm.. Isn't.. Isn't this the most sought out version? 20 Gig launch 360 still working somehow as well. Weird.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetary said:

SOMETHING WRONG HAPPENED AND I AM GOING TO RAGE INTO A TEXT BOX ON THE INTERNET

I'd do the same thing if I spent $399.99 on something and it wasn't working properly.

Adulthood awaits.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@humanity said:

Following the hot trends of "gamers are too entitled" and "ludonarrative dissonance" my favorite new term is "expected launch console issues"

Like, of course, of course your console is broken you idiot, you bought it at launch. Why would you expect this $400 piece of hardware to work correctly - don't put this on Sony, it's a launch console you only have yourself to blame.

You hear this over and over again like it's an acceptable situation and it's not. You shouldn't have to worry that your launch console is going to be physically inferior to a model released in 5 months.

Gotta agree. On NeoGAF people were applauding Sony for replacing people's PS4's at no charge when they were arriving to people DOA... are we all cool? I get there is a realistic amount of failure for both consoles but if you're getting broken shit it's not going to be fun or easy or anything but a pain in the ass to you.

But I'm sure there will be some more asshole posts before this thread is out.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I bought my PS4 at the same time you did and I've had no issues. That sucks, duder, I can sympathize. Why not just return it to Amazon? At least you won't be out the money.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First 6 months of next gen may as well be a beta test. Next 6 months the functional consoles get tested mad then finally, well refined consoles will get released. That's about how it goes, right?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Aside from the rest of your post, which I may or may not have an opinion on, this is exactly how the vast majority of the tech industry works. Almost exactly five months ago I picked up the most bangin' smart phone on the market. Now, it's already outclassed by a couple of newer models, some by the exact same manufacturer and in the same product line. There's always going to be something better five months down the line.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By joshwent

@artisanbreads@humanity said:

I agree that it's not great, but I think you're sort of misunderstanding the situation. With any mass produced electronics, there will be a certain percentage that are just broken. It's the reality of manufacturing. Go to any site like Newegg, and every review will have at least a few people saying, "Hey, my ____ arrived totally DOA.". Where a company can be blamed is if they make it hard to get it replaced, but the part just not working isn't their fault. In the OP's situation, is sounds like his HDD is busted, so he probably just needs it replaced.

What is unforgivable is software problems that remain unresolved, and design problems that cause malfunctions. In last gen, The RRoD on 360s was caused by inadequate thermal paste that made the CPUs overheat almost instantly. It wasn't that those CPUs were the percent that just get made wrong in the factory. It was the actual design of the thing causing perfectly good parts to fail.

If it's discovered that there's something about the PS4 that is causing shit to break, then it's something to demand change about. But these problems seem to still just be that small margin of busted parts that exists in all mass produced electronics.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Cramsy

@shagge said:

@dezztroy said:

@cramsy said:

@marokai said:

@milkman said:

TL;DR - just buy a fucking PC.

Definitely the way to go if you don't ever want to deal with technical issues, you're right.

Yeah he's totally right man. It was one of the best days of my life when I had to fuck around for 4 hours trying to get the sims 3 to work on my sisters laptop. It was just so easy to download patches and drivers, reinstall corrupted files, deal with origin then start and re-start the game with different graphic settings until it ran smoothly. Truly an issue-free platform

If it took you 4 hours to install Sims 3, maybe PC gaming isn't for you.

Because people who know how to use a PC never run into software issues, right?

@dezztroy Oh yeah man you're totally right. I had a really hard time clicking through the installer. Re-reading my post that was clearly my only issue there.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By tsutohiro

Every day feel like the best day ever

til every day feel like the best day ever

And you used to them days, kinda become a routine

You have a bad one, fuck up a good dream

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.