Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

Dissapointed by PS5 noise

TheMaxDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Hello,

I think the fan on my Disk version PS5 is noisier than my PS4 Pro. It sounds like a shitty fan. There's a little rattle. Is anyone else dissapointed?

The noise is definitely from the fan and not coil whine, and it's there when I do not have a disk inserted. I have Miles Morales running.
    My youtube upload

Jzumaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I have the digital version and honestly have not heard the fan or anything, both playing Miles Morales or any other game. I think you may have an issue with your console, have you heard from others with similar problems?

Avatar image for theunseenshadow
    theunseenshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can put my ear right up to my PS5 and still barely hear anything. Yours most certainly has an issue. I would contact Sony.

dantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dantez

I have the same issue/similar issue. It sounds like the buzz from an electric razor. It only happens during gameplay (Silent on the dashboard and game pause menus). It changes in frequency when moving the in game camera, etc. And is much louder in games with performance/60fps modes

I did a little looking around the Internet, and it's definitely a common problem people are having. With people claiming its either coil whine or sticker rubbing on the fan.

Because I play with headphones, and don't really hear it while playing, but it is definitely noticeable from 6 feet away without headphones on.

Due to the pain it was to get hold of the PS5 in the first place, and it so far not seeming like its caused any issues, (No games have crashed, No random system shutdowns, etc.) I will just keep an eye on it for now, and decide if it's worth sending in for repair in the new year. Especially as saw reports that people who have got replacements still end up with the same issue.

potatispress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PlayStation 5 Fan Lottery Responsible for Noisier Consoles

The noisier fan (left) includes 17 blades that extend to the center hub. The one on the right has 23 blades that are slightly less thick.

If you’re the owner of a slightly noisier PS5, you can verify the fan installed by simply popping off the side panels, as this doesn’t void the warranty.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@potatispress: I get sourcing from multiple suppliers, but changing the design from a 23 blade fan to 17 blade configuration seems a weird spec change.

Subscryber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Subscryber

It's the disc drive. It spins up randomly for no apparent reason. Very common. It's not the fan. Sony actually has a bizarre fix for it on their troubleshooting page for it, where they ask you to put a disc in, and then use a screwdriver to manually eject the disc from the bottom of the chassis. I haven't tried it, but I have no idea why that would fix anything.

TheMaxDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subscryber: that sounds mad.

Like @dantez said. I can live with it.

I do hear about the different number of fan blades too.

Really, if I don't obsess about it, I'm happy. I can get on with having been lucky enough to get one.

I'll have a look at the number of blades and also see can I find that disk screwdriver thing somewhere.

Thanks

hack1501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subscryber: @themaxdaddy: I tried Sony's trick for the disc drive and it did help with the noise. Mine was obnoxiously loud and now it is more tolerable. It's easy enough to do so it is worth giving it a shot.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By NeverGameOver

I feel like everyone has been talking about how quiet their console is and I don't really understand it. Mine is every bit as loud as the PS4. It's the same obnoxious fan noise, not a higher pitched coil whine. Sounds like a jet engine. I have the disc version, but it's not the disc drive because it happens with digital games as well. Has to be the fan.

Dr_Pow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had an issue during the first few days with my PS5. Every say, hour or so, the disc drive would spin up and the system would make a very loud buzzing noise. I noticed that if i placed my hand on the plastic chassis the sound would dampen. The vibrations of the disc drive were causing the white plastic shell to vibrate. So I placed it up against the side of my TV stand; while I can hear the disc drive spin up, the noise is significantly reduced.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Maybe you can feel better knowing that when I was installing Valhalla on my Series X from disc I thought the thing was going to explode because it got SO loud. It was the loudest I’ve ever heard an optical drive work in my entire life.

TheMaxDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've watched a few more videos and it does sound like coil whine. What sealed it for me was when zooming in and out in Hitman, the pitch changes.

Webllena11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No noise, just a little bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.