Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

Games will not load

strings19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is this a common problem? Online searching brings up so much junk it is hard to tell.

Played Demons Soul on disc, no problems. A few months later, I tried getting FortNite for my son. It runs fine on switch. It will not load on PS5.

Now, Guardians of the Galazy gets hung on losing screen when I start the game. When this happened, other games were also not loading. I could not even check save data on the console, that would not load.

Some resets did not work. Eventually after a power down and fresh start, it loaded right away. Any ideas about what is wrong?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

No idea, but it seems the PS5 just has some nested issues in it that can crop up at any time and are never system-threatening but often panic-inducing. I've had mine about two months now with no issues, but I live in a fairly shit apartment building that experiences a one- or two-second power outage at least every other month. Despite this I never really lost anything to rest mode with PS4 so I kept the habit on PS5, where just this afternoon I let the system power down due to sitting in neglect playing a podcast for longer than my energy saving settings.

But when I went to reboot the system, all I could get was a black screen. I've had this problem once before, but all I had to do was unplug and replug the HDMI cable. This time I exhausted every measure, and it turns out quite a few solutions have been found - I won't exhaust them here, but the only that worked, ultimately, was formatting the system back to factory settings. Ouch.

Now, even that process isn't as painful as it would've been two generations ago, let alone pre-internet - all my game saves were recoverable, as were my system and profile settings, and luckily the PS5's download speeds are on an entirely different planet than the PS4's. It was less than 45 minutes before my hard drive was stuffed full and I was back at it as if nothing happened (other than losing all my trophy screenshots and a handful of glitch clips I'd planned to share on the developer thread for Guardians of the Galaxy, but whatever)...but only after nearly 3 hours of desperate, sweaty trouble shooting that included hauling an old LCD TV that doesn't support HDCP out of storage to see if that was my problem. It sucked!

And I feel like I've definitely seen a lot of weird little things like that, where people didn't do anything weird or out of their norm and yet the system presented a seeming crisis level event until some benign or slightly annoying solution eventually presented itself. At least in my experience, the PS4 was one of the most airtight console experiences I've ever had. Despite dozens and dozens of database restorations after power outages, I never actually lost the system or any data on it - hell, I never even had the jet engine issue (or have a much higher tolerance for jet engines than I've ever realized)! So I'm with you that owning a PS5 can sometimes feel like a bit of a perpetual fingers crossed sort of situation as I just hope this or that aspect of it will be easier or less obscure than it seems it might.

strings19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: Thanks. I have some things to try from ps Twitter account. Will try rebuilding the database and see what happens.

I do feel, like Brad has said many times, that my rest mode problem has fixed itself. We will see how this one goes, but I have real doubts about the long term quality of this system.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had mine since launch with zero issues. Sorry for your problems, but it really seems like isolated instances.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.