Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Mobile

Concept »

PlayStation Mobile was a software framework for the Android platform and PlayStation Vita, enabling users to download and play compatible games on PlayStation Certified devices.

Sony is shutting down PSM

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By IcyEyes

Sony has been struggling for a while to get some traction with their PlayStation mobile initiative, but they seem to have finally given up on it. I've just learned that May 31 marks the final day developers can submit applications to PSM. And the entire PSM developer portal will shut down our November 30, 2015.

For consumers, this is both good and bad news; good news because it means fewer shitty Android ports will be crowding the store. Bad news because it means a huge reduction in the amount of games released overall. For small indie developers this is pretty bad news because it means you can no longer release a Vita game just as easily as a phone game. Indie developers can still make PlayStation Vita games, but without PSM you need to become a certified PlayStation developer. Which requires lots of legal red tape, certifications, quality assurance, etc.

I actually purchased a Vita a while ago almost entirely because I was excited by this indie developer program and wanted to see what I might be able to develop for the platform. So this news saddens quite a bit. Is this a sign that the end is nigh for the for the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV?

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did anything good come out of PSM?

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rcath: I've only tried a few free PSM games here and there, and they all seemed either okay or just bad. No idea if there are any hidden gems in there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.