Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Move Support

Concept »

PlayStation Move is a motion control system for the PlayStation 3 console, allowing for fluid control of objects in a simulated 3D space.

PlayStation Move only $49.99*

haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By haoshiro

*Oh, but you will need a Playstation Eye (Camera) and Sub-controller, too, for the full experience. :P 

And don't forget those games that use two Moves, one for each hand!   

$39.99 - PlayStation Eye
    $49.99 - Move Controller  
    $49.99 - Move Controller   #2
    $29.99 - Sub-Controller 
    $169.96 = Full Experience Total 

Of course you could get just an Eye and a Move for only $89.98, or the bundle that gives you those and the Sports game for $99.99, but you'll need to add on that Sub-controller separately to use the new tech with a traditional game like Killzone 3.  

Which experience is best for which type of game is yet to be seen, but that's a big expense for some Wii+ HD.  

Something tells me the Kinect will be a much better value at whatever price they eventually announce.  You will only ever need one Kinect regardless of the number of players and also save yourself money on batteries.  I have a feeling their primary target audience, children, will actually enjoy something like Kinect better as well (so long as it works well) because it mixes two things they love better then Wii or Move - Imagination and Video Games.

haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By haoshiro

*Oh, but you will need a Playstation Eye (Camera) and Sub-controller, too, for the full experience. :P 

And don't forget those games that use two Moves, one for each hand!   

$39.99 - PlayStation Eye
    $49.99 - Move Controller  
    $49.99 - Move Controller   #2
    $29.99 - Sub-Controller 
    $169.96 = Full Experience Total 

Of course you could get just an Eye and a Move for only $89.98, or the bundle that gives you those and the Sports game for $99.99, but you'll need to add on that Sub-controller separately to use the new tech with a traditional game like Killzone 3.  

Which experience is best for which type of game is yet to be seen, but that's a big expense for some Wii+ HD.  

Something tells me the Kinect will be a much better value at whatever price they eventually announce.  You will only ever need one Kinect regardless of the number of players and also save yourself money on batteries.  I have a feeling their primary target audience, children, will actually enjoy something like Kinect better as well (so long as it works well) because it mixes two things they love better then Wii or Move - Imagination and Video Games.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

That is one expensive gimmick right there.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By gosukiller

I'm just going to hope this motion control stuff goes away quietly, I have my PS3 for different reasons. 
    I have a Wii.
    That is all.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By yani

When they initially showed the Move they were using the DS3 in place of the nunchuck.  Unless something has changed, I'm hoping that you dont have to have one.  Either way, I need to see some more "core" games before I sign up.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShaneDev

Why is the sub controller so expensive ? I thought it was just an analog stick, two buttons and bluetooth.   

haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By haoshiro
    @ShaneDev: Probably because a Wii Nuncheck is $19.99, Sony Black carriers a premium, as well as those extra buttons... the wireless, and of course, it is somehow "HD" :D 

In a direct comparison with that Nuncheck, it is probably worth the premium.  Both are too expensive, though, imho.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Haoshiro said:
    " @ShaneDev: Probably because a Wii Nuncheck is $19.99, Sony Black carriers a premium, as well as those extra buttons... the wireless, and of course, it is somehow "HD" :D  In a direct comparison with that Nuncheck, it is probably worth the premium.  Both are too expensive, though, imho. "
    Its about even with what the rumored Kintec price is gonna be. 
    tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tooPrime
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Haoshiro said:
    " @ShaneDev: Probably because a Wii Nuncheck is $19.99, Sony Black carriers a premium, as well as those extra buttons... the wireless, and of course, it is somehow "HD" :D  In a direct comparison with that Nuncheck, it is probably worth the premium.  Both are too expensive, though, imho. "
    Its about even with what the rumored Kintec price is gonna be.  "
    My friend made a good point the other day, that although Kintec with probably be expensive, 150 is it.  If you want 2 to 4 players it won't cost another 150 per person or anything like that.
    haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By haoshiro
    @tooPrime: Yes, that's the same point my closing paragraph makes as well. 

If you want 4 players for Move, at minimum you have to have a Camera and 4 Controllers, or a total of $239.95, and that is with no sub-controllers. 

Of course, the Wii carries a similar price tag, $39.99 per controller and $19.99 per nunchuck.  So to add three more players to a Wii you had to shell out nearly $120, plus extra if you want nunchucks to go with those. 

Regardless, the Move still carries quite the premium.  I initially started writing this post after considering what it would cost me to get this at home.  I have a PS3, but no camera. I'd want a sub-controller, and I'd like to try those two-Move games as well.  But there is no way I am going to pay $170 for that!  That's nearly the price of a Wii or 360 Arcade (isn't that $150 now?).
    BaconZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BaconZombie

The bluetooth spec only allows for 7 devices anyway. So a 4 player move game would be wand only. 

My question is why the hell is it so expensive. A bluetooth chip, 2 movment sensors, 3 leds, and a bunch of plastic does not cost 50 bucks.  

Seems Sony is pulling the same PS3 launch bullshit. I'll wait for the price drop.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By goodwood

I think the Kinect supports up to 2 players so the prices are close but I believe its more confusing for consumers when they have to keep going back to the store to buy more controllers instead of buying one kinect that seems to be simple to setup.

thatguy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thatguy42

You can expect to add another $40 onto that once Sony gets the brilliant idea to have you create your own 3D videos.

Avatar image for gamesgamesgames
    GamesGamesGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GamesGamesGames
    @gosukiller said:
    " I'm just going to hope this motion control stuff goes away quietly, I have my PS3 for different reasons.  I have a Wii. That is all. "
    tunes in my ears
    haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By haoshiro

Dance Central supports 3 players, so there does not seem to be a hard limit of 2 on Kinect, FYI

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By meptron

yup, too expensive.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Haoshiro said:

" Dance Central supports 3 players, so there does not seem to be a hard limit of 2 on Kinect, FYI "

Stated here 

PrimeSense reps also told me that the camera can "see" any number of people on the screen -- you can fit as many people in that camera as possible, and the computer will see all of them and can even recognize them as human shapes. But it can only run calculations on two people at a time,     

Seems like only two people can play at a time. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy

If you have two main controller, wouldn't you also need two sub controllers? Bringing the total to around $200

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @xyzygy said:
    " If you have two main controller, wouldn't you also need two sub controllers? Bringing the total to around $200 "
    You do not need a sub controller. The normal Duel shock works for that. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
    @The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, if you can stand using it. I read a lot of hands on stuff with Move and using the DS in the other hand is apparently extremely uncomfortable and cumbersome. I would imagine it would be too.
    DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By DCFGS3

Surprisingly, even though It'll work out to be $200AUS, I'll probably get all those. I was playing heavy rain recently standing up so I could swing the controller more, I actually got a kick out of that. But I'll see what they come out with, that boxing game may actually be the first fighting game I get.

haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By haoshiro
    @The_Laughing_Man:  

Update:  PrimeSense has gotten in touch with us to say that it was only the demo software it showed off at E3 that could support only two users, not the hardware itself. Theoretically, with enough processing power, PrimeSense's hardware licensed by Kinect could support any number of players.

The article you linked was updated with that info, so again, may not be limited to just two as people are speculating.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Haoshiro said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  

Update:  PrimeSense has gotten in touch with us to say that it was only the demo software it showed off at E3 that could support only two users, not the hardware itself. Theoretically, with enough processing power, PrimeSense's hardware licensed by Kinect could support any number of players.

The article you linked was updated with that info, so again, may not be limited to just two as people are speculating. "
    There is also that the makers of Kinect and MS are saying different things. Like not being to track on the sofa and stuff like that.  

Also Kinect has no way of allowing you control over your person. It seems  everything showed is on rails. Or you do not move. 
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By EpicSteve

That's why I'm rolling Kinect.

haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By haoshiro
    @The_Laughing_Man: 

No idea what you are trying to get at there, I watched the videos of GB playing stuff like the Fitness, etc and it does not seem "on rails" 

If you just mean "how is it going to let you walk forward in a FPS game" then I think your answer would be, with the 360 controller.  There is no reason the two cannot be combined.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Haoshiro said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  No idea what you are trying to get at there, I watched the videos of GB playing stuff like the Fitness, etc and it does not seem "on rails"  If you just mean "how is it going to let you walk forward in a FPS game" then I think your answer would be, with the 360 controller.  There is no reason the two cannot be combined. "
    If you have to use a controller then that sort of ruins the idea of Kinect. 
    haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By haoshiro
    @The_Laughing_Man:  

It's not incredibly different then the Wii or Move situation, you can't create perpetual forward motion with any of these devices. 

That's why both the Wii and the Move have the nunchuk/sub-controller with an analog thumbstick for games that require that. 

I would imagine a Kinect-enabled shooter to feature general gestures on top of the standard controller input.  Duck/lean with Kinect, perhaps throw grenades with the throwing motion (or even rolling motion), etc.  But moving and shooting continue to be as it always has been. 

Doing Wii/Move style pointing at the screen is certainly not something I want to be doing for the entire duration of a game! :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.