Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

Well apparently the Credit Card information is safe and encrypted

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheGodPoet
    I searched on the forums and I didn't see a thread relating to this specifically so I thought I'd let everyone know.

Well while watching Attack of the Show they said that Sony confirmed that everyone's Credit Card information was safe and was encrypted. Google seems to be saying no purchases were made with anyone's card. Now I may have heard wrong (it's either safe and encrypted or taken but encrypted) but either way we can all agree that Sony's security has been shitty. 

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=credit+card+information+safe+PSN

Now this has been one awful mess but knowing my CC information wasn't taken makes me feel a bit better about everything. This is good but it still in no way excuses what has happened so far. I just want the PSN to come back online and not have to worry about something like this happening again. Fuck I just want to get into some Mortal Kombat. 

So I was wondering how does everyone feel about this? Do you feel relieved? Do you think Sony is still fucked? What do you think will happen next?
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By animateria

Kotaku also posted.

Speaking to Bloomberg, spokesmen for Wells Fargo & Co., American Express Co. and MasterCard Inc. said they were monitoring cardholder accounts and hadn't seen unauthorized activity relating to Sony.

While this may change at any moment. It coincides nicely with Sony's statement that the CC info was encrypted.

I'm still going to check my account more vigilantly that usual though.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Seems like the kind of thing to mention in the initial statement before people start getting new cards out of panic.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @ryanwho said:
    " Seems like the kind of thing to mention in the initial statement before people start getting new cards out of panic. "
    ...which is what I did today. *cue Price is Right loser sound*
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I thought there were reports all over the internet of people having their bills racked up?

I'm not going to listen to anyone until PSN is back up and running. If they don't catch the guys responsible, I'm afraid they're just going to do it again though.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
    @xyzygy said:

"I'm afraid they're just going to do it again though."

If Sony does the right thing and upgrades it to 256-bit encryption like Valve and Microsoft, they'll be safe.  Unless Sony is stupid enough to give away the key.  It's damn near impossible to hack 256-bit encryption.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xyzygy
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @xyzygy said:

"I'm afraid they're just going to do it again though."

If Sony does the right thing and upgrades it to 256-bit encryption like Valve and Microsoft, they'll be safe.  Unless Sony is stupid enough to give away the key.  It's damn near impossible to hack 256-bit encryption. "
    If is the key word. And XBL was taken down by hackers before - who says it's impossible for them to do it? If anything it may give the Hackers more initiative to fuck Sony over ever more.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @xyzygy: No I mean really, hacking 256-bit encryption is pretty much impossible by brute force or other means.  Unless you get really fucking lucky, you can't break it.  It's how Steam protects all their games for pre-download, and Steam has had 100% zero leaks in their history.  People can keep at Sony, and if they magically break the new 256-bit encryption then...those guys will have a really nice life in corporate security and will be the biggest hacking legends on this planet.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy
    @KaosAngel: Did you ignore the part where I said XBL was hacked before? For over 2 weeks in 2008. Remember?
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @xyzygy: Are you talking about the Major Nelson thing?  They just knew the guys MSN information, and Major Nelson was stupid enough to link his XBL to his MSN...no one does that.  Or the other one when the servers broke due to loads?  

That's the only time I can remember XBL/MSN being hacked.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy
    @KaosAngel: No, it was in the summer of 2008 I'm sure it was. I was googling it the other day. I'm way too fucking lazy to search around for that again though.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
    @xyzygy: Oh shit, did not know that.  Now I must look this up and figure this out, maybe MS updated their stuff after that summer?  I know Valve's been doing it since they started that pre-loading crap.  Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/28/bungie-staffer-gets-xbox-live-account-hacked/
        You talking about this?  It's not hard to hack a dude's XBL account if the fool links it to a MSN account, well it's hard for most people...not for people who know what they're doing.
    VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VegasAceVII

I was never that worried about it to begin with, some people like to spread paranoia.

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By delusionaltool

ya bullshit, at least 2.2 million peoples information + credit card info is out in the wild right now, i just had to cancel my card today cause someone tried to buy something off a columbian autoparts store website. cancel your crap asap if you used it on ps3 simple as that.

read this , this is some scary crap right here

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20058513-83.html

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.