Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

PSP2 in 2010?!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

In response to the news vented in this article,

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/psp-go-australian-launch-is-this-the-biggest-sales-flop-ever/267857/#9

and the fact that in france only sold 8000 units from a initial stock of 50000, among other similar records, there is around the rumour of a psp2 in 2010.

The new console is supposed to have graphics capabilities “on par with desktop PCs" and is scheduled to arrive in 2010.

It's only a rumour, but what do you think?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60
    @Jeust said:
    "    The new console is supposed to have graphics capabilities “on par with desktop PCs" and is scheduled to arrive in 2010.  It's only a rumour, but what do you think? "
    I seriously doubt that.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jkz
    @CL60 said:
    " @Jeust said:
    "    The new console is supposed to have graphics capabilities “on par with desktop PCs" and is scheduled to arrive in 2010.  It's only a rumour, but what do you think? "
    I seriously doubt that. "
    This. I'd be amazed if it was anywhere NEAR current-gen consoles, let alone PCs. That's just bloody ridiculous.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

Not on par with desktop PCs, unless they're really old.  I don't see why there would be a PSP2 in 2010, that sounds like a terrible idea, unless they drop the price on the PSP Go to like $90 because it can't play UMDs or anything, so make it like the lesser version that is cheaper.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Jeust said:
    This. I'd be amazed if it was anywhere NEAR current-gen consoles, let alone PCs. That's just bloody ridiculous. "
    They are going to regret making that statement.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeust
    @jukezypoo said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Jeust said:

This. I'd be amazed if it was anywhere NEAR current-gen consoles, let alone PCs. That's just bloody ridiculous. "
    It isn't all that far fetched... have you ever heard of the Nvidia Tegra series?

a preview of it...

is capable of delivering great graphics, over course the on par with pcs is a little abusive, but it is still doable. :p  
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ
    @CL60 said:
    " @Jeust said:
    Even if it was the case, that device would be damn expensive. 
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    " NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo "
    I thought you liked the PSP.
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Emandudeguyperson
    @AgentJ: I positively adore it! Just, why the fuck does Sony feel the need to kill off the perfectly fine as it is PSP?
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ
    @Emandudeguyperson said:

" @AgentJ: I positively adore it! Just, why the fuck does Sony feel the need to kill off the perfectly fine as it is PSP? "

I for one would really appreciate a second analog nub 

As long as its backwards compatable
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AgentJ: Well I don't really care about a second analog nub, IMO most PSP games control fine. 

I'm gonna start an internet petition against this!!!
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By jkz
    @Jeust said:

" @jukezypoo said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Jeust said:

It isn't all that far fetched... have you ever heard of the Nvidia Tegra series?

a preview of it...

is capable of delivering great graphics, over course the on par with pcs is a little abusive, but it is still doable. :p   "
    Yes I've heard about it. But then again, the Zune HD runs on a Tegra Chip too, and it hasn't proved as powerful as many though. It likely could get close to, if not on par, with early-gen 360 games, but I highly doubt modern desktops.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @CL60 said:
    " @Jeust said:
    If by that they just mean a $300-400 Dell I don't see why not.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By KamasamaK
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Emandudeguyperson said:

" @AgentJ: I positively adore it! Just, why the fuck does Sony feel the need to kill off the perfectly fine as it is PSP? "

I for one would really appreciate a second analog nub  As long as its backwards compatable "
    Backward compatibility would be really nice, but then you run into the same complaint that people had about the PSPgo. I wasn't expecting a successor already, but I guess we are coming up on 5 years soon.

@SJSchmidt93 said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Jeust said:
    If by that they just mean a $300-400 Dell I don't see why not. "
    Mmm, integrated graphics.
    Void_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Void_Wizard

I expect a successor in 2011.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Andorski

I'm all on board with a PSP2 ASAP.  Playing 3D games without a fixed camera feels archaic on the PSP.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @jukezypoo said:

" @Jeust said: Yes I've heard about it. But then again, the Zune HD runs on a Tegra Chip too, and it hasn't proved as powerful as many though. It likely could get close to, if not on par, with early-gen 360 games, but I highly doubt modern desktops. "

I'm down with that as long as it's around $300 and doesn't die in two hours.
    RafaelVivian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RafaelVivian
    @Jeust said:
    a preview of it...

is capable of delivering great graphics, over course the on par with pcs is a little abusive, but it is still doable. :p   "
    I'm always the last to bitch about graphics quality, but seriously, does anyone find this showcase anything close to "modern" graphics? More like Quake 1, no shadows (or any lighting for that matter), no complex models, just these box-like buildings with low-quality skins, and very uninspired skins at that, all looking the same over and over. This is the kind of thing that doesn't quite take a graphics card to do.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By Griddler
    @Jeust: That thing looks like a step down from psp graphics-wise.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

God damn, I just bought a PSP Go, if they release PSP2 next year, I'm going to be an angry customer.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By oldschool

Analysts are still predicting the replacement to the DS next year as well.  I am starting to think it will happen.  The PSP Go seems like a stop-gap product to me, and the DSi as a tester for downloadable games.  Sony,if serious, will want to jump Nintendo and Nintendo will be keeping their replacement for the DS ready to go as soon as Sony jump.  Nintendo is sitting in the box seat.  They are both at the end of their life, so I think we need to get used to that.  I go on record as saying that we will see new units at next year's E3 and a release November 2010. 

They both will be powerful, but the PSP will be 360 powerful and the DS Gamecube powerful - imo.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jeust
    @girdz: it's just a demo, don't take too seriously. :)

But will we see a psp2 till the end of next year?

It's a little risk business-wise, but it's possible. :p
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By DanielJW

I don't believe that. Why would they bother releasing PSP Go if they had PSP 2 planned for next year?

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Gmanall
    @DanielJW said:
    " I don't believe that. Why would they bother releasing PSP Go if they had PSP 2 planned for next year? "
    Because that is what they do almost every year, the PSP Go should not have taken that much R&D to develop. There are also rumors of DS having the tegra card in it next year also.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.