Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

So how many minutes/hours do you save...

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

...by running a game off a memory stick instead of a UMD? I like having a box and physical disc when it comes to movies and games, but if I can save some battery life by not using the UMD drive, maybe I should get the digital copy instead. Has anyone compared UMD and UMD-less games such as Patapon 2 and Jeanne D'Arc to get a clear indication?

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I find it a lot better to have it through download only. Meaning you have your whole game library on one device and you can play whichever game you feel like at that moment without having to swap discs. Also the UMD loading noise is gone and I think games load a lot fast too (maybe it's just mind tricks!)

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Lashe

As someone who has run data off a memory stick for years on the PSP I will say it saves not only loading time, but battery power =] I'd say a good hour and a bit extra usage.

Exlutonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Exlutonian

Definately a fan of using the memory stick wherever possible. 

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By AuthenticM

How many GB of space should my Memory Stick have? I currently have one of 4GB; but I thought that maybe it won't be enough. Afterall, a UMD stores around 1.7GB, although I don't think every game is that big. So, is 4GB enough, or do I need more?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb

You notice it when you're playing a download game. The UMD just sucks power.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.