Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation TV Support

Concept »

The PlayStation TV is a media streaming device based on the PS Vita. It can play many (though not all) Vita game cards, as well as supporting some PSN games and PS4 Remote Play.

Playstation TV comes out in N America today - anyone planning on picking it up?

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Playstation TV comes out in N America today - anyone planning on picking it up? (133 votes)

Yes 23%
    No 34%
    I will wait and see / Undecided 43%

The Playstation TV launches today Oct 14 in North America. There has not been a whole lot of talk about it, but I have been looking forward to this launch.

I have had no interest in a Vita (not a handheld player, personally) but I really like the prospect of playing some Vita games on my TV. Unfortunately, a few games I wanted to be compatible are not; but there are still about 6-8 Vita games I would like to pick up.

Personally, I am waiting a day or two until I can read the box specs and make sure Netflix is supported. I want this to play double-duty as a Netflix-streaming box for my downstairs TV. I might not really use the PS4 remote play but it might come in pretty handy should my wife need the main TV for a workout or something.

Anyone else with any interest in this little box?

• 
    Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been really looking forward to picking this up, then they decided to release it in a month where I'm already buying a ton of stuff. Definitely will still be getting it, but it will be a little while now.

katsu044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the same boat ton of stuff i want to play now coming out this fall so the PS TV came out at perfect timing for me

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: From what I've read, the only streaming services for now on it are crunchyroll and crackle? Maybe? No Netflix as of now.

Check out Kotaku's article on it they put up yesterday, it's pretty informative.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't have a PSP or a Vita. I prefer playing video games on TV.

I'll get this just to play Vita games cheap on my TV. Persona 4 Golden, here I come.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigmess: I assume your reply was for me (it says "undefined"). Thanks, I'll check out the Kotaku article. I thought I read a week or two ago about Netflix possibly being patched-in later. I sure hope it is (though I was really hoping it would just be there from the get-go).

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Seikenfreak

I was really into the idea of this thing a long time ago before we knew it existed. I want to play hand held games on a big screen with a controller because I don't use handhelds hardly ever.

But whenever I think of getting this thing, I try to think of what I'd play on it and I can't really think of anything. Maybe I wish it could play physical* PSP games because there seem to be a bunch of interesting ones on there that I never played.

Undecided. Logical part of me says not really and the game collector/tech nerd/new toys wants to get it anyway. And to support Sony for making the decision to bringing it over here.

*Edited as not to confuse anyone else.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picking it up for myself for christmas I think. I need to see how it looks though

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really into the idea of this thing a long time ago before we knew it existed. I want to play hand held games on a big screen with a controller because I don't use handhelds hardly ever.

But whenever I think of getting this thing, I try to think of what I'd play on it and I can't really think of anything. Maybe I wish it could play PSP games because there seem to be a bunch of interesting ones on there that I never played.

Undecided. Logical part of me says not really and the game collector/tech nerd/new toys wants to get it anyway. And to support Sony for making the decision to bringing it over here.

Wait, it doesn't play PSP games? Not even the ones on PSN?

asky314159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@wrighteous86:

Yes, it will play the PSP games from PSN. From the PlayStation Blog:

"It sits in a special place in the PlayStation platform ecosystem – as it can play titles from PS Vita, PSone , PSP, PS3 (through PS Now), and PS4 (through Remote Play)."

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By whitegreyblack
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I've got a Vita but I've thought about picking this up anyway. Still undecided.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seikenfreak

@whitegreyblack@asky314159 Hmmmmmmm...

...but I like having physical copies. I already have some physical PSP games. Are the digital copies cheap? Could probably go buy most physical PSP games for $5.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

totally. tired of bringing my ps4 up and down the stairs

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By whitegreyblack

@wrighteous86: No worries duder! The list of compatible games is super handy, it is worthwhile to search the list in case of certain games that are incompatible.

@seikenfreak: I also prefer physical games, but alas - it is not in the cards. I am buying this mainly for Vita support so at least on that front I can use physical games.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seikenfreak

Does this support external drives? Or just memory sticks? I'd want to get a nice sized stick if I were to get this. Size matters.

Dammit, stop convincing me. Money is tight.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The remote play is nice, but it's not the greatest on my network with anything I've tried on Vita. We are already playing Multiplayer Spelunky on PS4 and Vita and it might be cool for that, but it seems like if we got one it would be more like a Roku around my house than a gaming device.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By dagas

I don't see much point for us Vita owners but otherwise I probably would.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By whitegreyblack

@seikenfreak: Now that, I am not too sure about. There is a USB slot but that might just be for charging controllers. They might rely solely on memory cards. I have not read anything that says one way or the other, but if I had to bet on it, I'd put my money on the "no ext hdd" option (sadly). Again, I do not know for sure and am just speculating.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack@asky314159 Hmmmmmmm...

...but I like having physical copies. I already have some physical PSP games. Are the digital copies cheap? Could probably go buy most physical PSP games for $5.

Of the six PSP games I've downloaded I got four on sale for $5 or less (Persona, Persona 2 IS, P3P and Corpse Party) and the other two were free with PS+ (Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions and GTA LCS). I think almost all PSP games are $10 or less at this point, with a few of the bigger titles being $15 or $20.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I wanna see some field tests, to see how PS4 remote play works two rooms away.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Not today, but probably soon.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PDXSonic

@seikenfreak: I believe it uses Vita memory cards which is a huge drawback. If only they would allow SD cards, which aren't $2-5 per GB (more like .50c per)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got a Vita, and honestly I haven't even really been into that. Regardless if I'm at home I'd rather play on a more powerful console, and many of the games I DO want to play for the Vita are cross buy anyway (My Vita is cool for playing Rogue Legacy or Hotline Miami while on the train, but if I'm at home why not just boot up the PS3 or PS4?)

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A $99 machine to play Persona 4 Golden on my TV, a game which I've already completed twice?..............

OF COURSE I'M PICKING IT UP. It's currently downloading the system update.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe for Christmas. I don't plan on buying a Vita ever and there's some PSP games I'd like to play on my TV, so it seems like a smart buy. Hopefully the $140 bundle isn't going anywhere. The $99 is a rip off for someone who doesn't have a spare Dualshock and one of those bs proprietary Vita memory cards laying around.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A $99 machine to play Persona 4 Golden on my TV, a game which I've already completed twice?..............

OF COURSE I'M PICKING IT UP. It's currently downloading the system update.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'll also probably end up using it to remote play PS4 games on the same TV my PS4 is hooked up to, because that's the sort of dumb shit I can get really into for 10 minutes and that's totally worth $100 in my book.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Very impressed with the display so far. P4G STILL looks gorgeous. Slightly jaggy and blurry? A tiny bit. But as of now, this is even better than I could have asked for or expected.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The 'extender' functionality of having PS4 on another TV is interesting...if that is even still a function.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Those who have one and a PS4, how is the remote play? This is the main reason I want to pick one up.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan:

Question. Is it better than a PS2 on a modern TV? Because if I can live with playing the original P4 that way, chances are I can live with playing P4 Golden on the PS TV. Same boat myself, except I've never had a Vita, and I live in Australia, so I have to give it one more month before the PSTV releases here. Don't even care if it ends up just being a P4 Golden machine.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BlackLagoon

@adequatelyprepared: Undoubtedly. The PSTV has a higher native resolution than the PS2, and outputs widescreen video though a modern HDMI cable. With the PS2 you'd have to mess around with whatever older connection types your TV supports, and then the game would be in 4:3.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been seriously considering picking one up to play P4G but I've got a decent backlog of games right now, I haven't even beat P3:FES yet (I have a save near the last boss fight I believe). All that and on top of school I'll probably pick it up somewhere down the road.

But since I'm already paying for PS+ there's a ton of games there I would assume would be compatible? Lets hope.

theboywil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remote play (over the internet) works really nicely, as it does on the Vita. I have reasonably fast connections on both ends, and had few issues doing a tryout of playing Destiny from the office this morning.

One big sadness is that trying to use a DS3 controller was totally scuppered in Destiny as calling your ghost is essential, and this is mapped to the DS3 'select' button. However, the PS4 'share' button is also mapped to 'select' and overrides the game control. Soooooo I couldn't see any way to bring up the ghost without grabbing a DS4 or having to change char any time I wanted to go to orbit... :-(

Also slightly sad that Netflix (which works fine on the Vita) and Amazon Video are indeed not supported on on the PSTV. These were known and I hold out hope that they will be addressed soonish...

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll probably get one for Christmas but only for the PS4 streaming to another tv so I can play in my living room without having to bring the PS4 over and to support Sony. Because we need more Vita games. Speaking of Vita's, I have one and barely touch it. *Sigh*

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, all this makes me realize just how much I want P4G to be released on a system I actually own (like the PS4, please, Atlus!), because it is literally the only game I would play on this thing. So no, I'm not getting it, but the fact that I'd even consider dropping 100 bucks + the cost of a game just to play P4G makes me realized just how obsessed with that game I've gotten over the past few years.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515: I've said this before but the vita and now especially the PSTV are actually worth it just for P4G alone. Countless addicting hours of gameplay and probably the best story and characters ever to grace an RPG.

Buuuuut that's just crazy me, and I understand how I can't convince anyone to buy a console for one game. *sigh*

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a vita, so no. Honestly though, it seems like it could be the best set top box out there if it supports all the great indie offerings on the vita.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

I have two important questions that will determine whether I get this.

1. Can I buy physical copies of Vita games, and play them on the PS TV? Like does this thing have a slot where I can just put in physical Vita cards? Or can I only play digital games on this thing?

2. I know it has 1 GB internal storage, but can I use an external hard drive/thumb drive for memory? Or do I have to buy a ridiculously expensive Vita memory card for more memory?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sterling

@wumbo3000 said:

I have two important questions that will determine whether I get this.

1. Can I buy physical copies of Vita games, and play them on the PS TV? Like does this thing have a slot where I can just put in physical Vita cards? Or can I only play digital games on this thing?

2. I know it has 1 GB internal storage, but can I use an external hard drive/thumb drive for memory? Or do I have to buy a ridiculously expensive Vita memory card for more memory?

1. Yes

2. It only takes Vita memory cards.

I found this useful.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: Thanks you for helping. I have one more question. I read online that the Persona 4 Golden file size is approximately 3 gigs. Is that the file size if the game is bought digitally? If I get the physical copy, it'll take up less space right? Or is it mandatory install kind of thing?

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I just bought one so I can play Persona 4 Golden. I hate myself so much right now lol.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wumbo3000: I have the cart in my Vita. According to the memory card manager the P4G install is a minuscule 3200KB. I'm not sure if that includes the save files or not. Vita save files aren't listed in the memory card manager since they are tied to the application.* It's possible the save files are on the cart.

*If you delete an application you delete the save file as well.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: Awesome, thank you so much. Now I don't need to buy a ridiculously overpriced memory card to play Persona 4 Golden. And that game is basically the only reason I'm getting a PlayStation TV anyways.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wumbo3000: There are no mandatory installs on the Vita as far as I know, though some have patches and DLC that can take up quite a bit space. I think Killzone Mercenary was the worst, which had over 1 GB in patches at launch, though they later went back and brought the size down considerably.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By VincentVendetta

I already own a Vita, so no. Also, man I love Persona 4 Golden. I can't believe I stopped playing it for so long.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.