Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

All of the indie games!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By DarthOrange

So what do you duders think of all these indie games coming to the Vita?

You have games like Terraria, Metrico, Guacamelee! and a lot of other stuff announced at GDC. While not all these games are new (some of them are really old), Sony is setting up a relationship with these small developers with the hope probably being that there next game releases day and date on the Vita. And hell, the Vita is actually where those Retro City Rampage guys made most of their money so I have to assume that had something to do with convincing some of these indies to make a Vita port.

So what do you think of these indie games coming to Vita? Are they enough to push some of you over the edge and make you buy a Vita? Will those of you with a Vita repurchase some games to have them on the go? Will the PC continue to be your go to place for indie games or could you see yourself enjoying them more on a portable?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#2  Edited By Slag

@darthorange said:

So what do you duders think of all these indie games coming to the Vita?

You have games like Terraria, Metrico, Guacamelee! and a lot of other stuff announced at GDC. While not all these games are new (some of them are really old), Sony is setting up a relationship with these small developers with the hope probably being that there next game releases day and date on the Vita. And hell, the Vita is actually where those Retro City Rampage guys made most of their money so I have to assume that had something to do with convincing some of these indies to make a Vita port.

So what do you think of these indie games coming to Vita? Are they enough to push some of you over the edge and make you buy a Vita? Will those of you with a Vita repurchase some games to have them on the go? Will the PC continue to be your go to place for indie games or could you see yourself enjoying them more on a portable?

I'm very glad to see it, Given the way Nintendo has messed up this gen with the WiiU I hope Sony does well as the PS4 is looking like the next gen I'll probably eventually buy. Having the Vita at least pull its' weight financially benefits potential console owners by giving Sony more resources to make the PS4 awesome.

I don't think I'll ever buy a Vita as the 3DS has the Nintendo handheld franchises I care more about, but I like the message this sends about Sony's approach. I'm very impressed by Sony getting religion on making their platforms developer friendly, especially in light of how they torched their first party titles in recent months. That can only lead to great games being released on their platforms. So oddly I think it makes me more likely to buy a PS4 if that makes sense.

I personally don't really get much into "indie" games, I guess I just like medium-big budget stuff. Chances are I'll still buy any indie games I would buy on Steam.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I already have a Vita and I'm definitely looking forward to playing more games on it, especially indie titles like FEZ (oh God please port to the Vita!). Not sure if I would want to repurchase games that I already have on Steam to play on the Vita though. If FEZ does come on the Vita I might just wait for that instead of buying it in May.

LornHg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As a developer for Vita, I can confirm that Sony is being very helping with indie studios.

I think they know that indie games can really help the Vita stand out.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Good for Vita cuz it needs content, but if I wanted to play any of that I would do it on PC so I'm still not worried about not being able to find my Vita.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I already own and Vita and these announcements totally validate my purchase which I made with slight buyer's remorse. Even though I own many of the indies on PC and other platforms I plan to repurchase a few for replay and trophies. I can't wait for Hotline Miami, I was close to getting all the achievements on Steam and would totally go for them all on the Vita.

@slag: In many ways I think Sony is trying to get the same type of halo effect that Apple had with the ipod. Apple made the ipod such an expansive source for music that people could resist. Their good experience with the device helped entice people to adopt iMac and Macbooks. Sony looks like its expanding developer relationship to get more games on PS Mobile, Vita, and PSN hoping to achieve a similar halo effect for PS3 and PS4. Its an interesting strategy since MS is positioning the NextBox as an entertainment hub, Sony is making Playstation the most comprehensive gaming platform. All the stuff of a PC without the configuration headaches.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

If the Vita becomes a really good place for more interesting and experimental games along with throwbacks to older genres, then yes I will buy one. I'd rather play that sort of thing on the couch anyway.

EDIT: Or just keep porting PS2 games to it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By Slag

@djou: I'd buy that.

Smart strategy if they can pull it off.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By awesomeusername

I'm really pumped for all the indies coming to Vita. I plan on rebuying Hotline Miami sometime after it comes out. I also will be getting Guacamelee! and Thomas Was Alone this month once Sony gives me my store credit from last months promo, which I should have today. Might even buy games like Terraria & Spelunky just because they're loved so much and I love me some surprise hit indie games. I know there's a lot more still coming which gets me super pumped.

@lornhg: Can you tell us what developer you work for (or if you're a one man crew) what game(s) you made? Really interested in knowing.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

LornHg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LornHg
    On1inepersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually I don't care to buy indie titles on my console or steam. For some reason, I love buying indie games for the Vita.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bemusedchunk

Even though I already own half of them, playing them on the go is really where this comes in handy.

No longer do I have to eat up the whole TV just to play a game and make my girlfriend and roommates suffer.

Also, MORE MORE MORE! What I wouldn't give for stuff like Braid, Super Meat Boy and They Bleed Pixels to be on the Vita.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By cosi83

Thomas Was Alone is so great! I was thinking negatively about gaming for a week or two but this game has pulled me back in

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Bought a Vita this week specifically to play these kinds of games. I don't necessarily want to use my pc rig to play indie games when I could play them in bed with headphones instead.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I love the attention that indies are getting on the Vita. I don't really play any games on my computer, which can't do much anyway, but for some reason the Vita is a perfect fit for how I'm doing most of my gaming these days (as @mistermollusk says, "in bed with headphones"). The frequent week one discounts for PS Plus members helps a lot for impulse buys, and I really haven't been disappointed yet.

They need to sort out how the PS mobile stuff is organized though. There's some interesting stuff in there, but it's beginning to look like the XBLIG section.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.