Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Decent RPG

FishieBuddha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Are there any decent RPGs for the Vita besides Persona? I love being able to play anywhere but trying to find one is daunting.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Honestly I would try out the PSP games on vita, many original ones are great, and also the remastered ports from the PS1 RPG library are pretty much the definitive versions of those games.

I recommend Yggdra Union, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Riviera, Star Ocean, Ys, and Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can play every Final Fantasy from 1-X/X2 on the system. Take your pick of one of those. I recommend 9.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FishieBuddha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mwng said:

Valkyria Chronicles 2 too, if you can ignore the utterly grating cast, I really enjoyed the srpg aspect.

I really enjoyed the first one, the second was a complete letdown! I didn't need more adventures of the Edelwiess but man, that second game...

FishieBuddha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

Honestly I would try out the PSP games on vita, many original ones are great, and also the remastered ports from the PS1 RPG library are pretty much the definitive versions of those games.

I recommend Yggdra Union, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Riviera, Star Ocean, Ys, and Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky.

You can play every Final Fantasy from 1-X/X2 on the system. Take your pick of one of those. I recommend 9.

I've got most of the PS1 RPGs that I grew up with, I'm looking for more of a new Vita only RPG, which I probably should have said from the beginning. Sorry.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hunkulese

The Disgaea games are pretty great and if you have the habit of unlocking every plus game, you already have one of them.

Rainbow Moon is also okay if you're down with grinding.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mosespippy

People seem to consider Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky to be the best game on PSP so that'd be a good place to start. I really like Jeanne D'arc. I think it's better than the Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem games that I've played. I'd play those two games before I'd play vita RPGs like Soul Sacrifice Delta or Tales of Hearts R.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mwng

@mwng said:

Valkyria Chronicles 2 too, if you can ignore the utterly grating cast, I really enjoyed the srpg aspect.

I really enjoyed the first one, the second was a complete letdown! I didn't need more adventures of the Edelwiess but man, that second game...

All games are a disappointment in comparison to the first Valkyria Chronicles! The class customization stuff managed to carry it for me.

Also depending on what you enjoy about rpgs, not an actual rpg recommendation; but Danganronpa/Virtues Last Reward? If you're more into the story stuff.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Belegorm

This is just my impression but there don't seem to actually be that many original RPG's on the vita

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mistzero

Here's my recommendations

Disgea 4: A Promise Revisited is a really good srpg I spent so many hours grinding levels because it's so addicting leveling up your characters. Also, the story is really goofy which is a nice change of pace after all the world saving rpg we've all played.

Final Fantasy IX, what your telling me that's a PsOne game? Well it's a really good PsOne rpg that a lot of people missed cause it came out at the tail end of that console's life. It has a really sweet story between the leading characters but they get really upstaged a little black mage called Vivi. He's one of the more interesting character of all the FF characters. Also the setting of FF9 is more whimsey and a lot less steam punk which is a plus for me after FF8 and FF7. All in all you should get this game if missed it the first time around and unlike the other PsOne rpg this one really holds up well graphically so you won't be squinting at the screen all the time.

Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions is a psp remake for the grandfather of all really good srpg, The remake added new character and very pretty cut-scenes. If you haven't played this yet what are you waiting for go get it. I have only one advice about this game, stick out the first 3-4 hours of that game because it kinda slow to get going in the beginning but after that it really opens up.

Yeah I only named one vita game but others posted all other good rpg on the vita and I wanted to give you a more variety of choices.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.