Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Thinking of picking up a Vita, is now the time?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

I've been going back and forth about possibly picking up a vita. With a PS4 purchase probably inevitable this fall once more releases start to hit, would it be worth picking up a vita?

I currently have PS+ and have access to these games already...along with some other games I've purchased.

• Unit 13
    • Monster Hunter
    • Street Fighter x Tekken
    • Mod Nation Racers
    • Worms Battle Islands
    • Spelunky
    • Gravity Rush
    • Oddword: Stranger's Wrath
    • Sonic All Stars Racing
    • Wipeout 2048
    • Star Wars Pinball

Is there anything in particular that stands out as "must haves" for the vita? I'm really thinking about spending some money to pick up some of the older ps1 and ps2 classics. Being able to play those on the goal seems sort of like a nice feature.

So, if you could, either talk me into this or talk me out of it! I saw that there is a Borderlands 2 Bundle for $200 with an 8GB card (I've heard that will fill up quickly).

Thanks in advance!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Borderlands is a better game than Borderlands 2 so there's a reason not to get the bundle.

Persona 4 is the obvious must have. It's just soooo good.

I liked Uncharted Golden Abyss more than Uncharted 3 but that's not saying much. They both have their problems and are pretty much on par with each other.

Tearaway is probably another one people will mention. I don't remember liking it but I do remember smiling the entire time. It's pretty short and was on sale a lot right after release. I'd expect the price to be lower at some point in the near future if not free with plus. More than likely it'll be on sale then be free two months later like most games that end up in plus.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony is probably the second best Lumines game if that's your jam. I just checked the price on PSN and $27 is pretty steep for that. I got it on sale for about $8 I think and my local Walmart seems to have copies for $6 whenever I check their Vita section.

The PS1 support is pretty good. I recently played through Hot Shots Golf 2 and Castlevania SotN with it and they both hold up.

I currently have 21 games on my 16GB card. Most of them are small indie things like Limbo, Hotline Miami, Spelunky and 10x8. If you want to go with bigger games like Uncharted or Soul Sacrifice then you'll need a decent sized memory card.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think it has been the time for Vita so sure! Why not! Try and get a original model and play some muramasa the demon blade (there is a QL on the site for the Wii version). More people need to play that fucking game

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

My favorites so far have been Soul Sacrifice and Peace Walker. It also has a pretty good version of Sine Mora and GTA: Liberty City Stories is alright.

It's a pretty awesome piece of hardware.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just pre-ordered the slim Saturday and my Persona 4 Golden and 64 gig card came in today. It's time alright.

Fuck Sony though for charging 107 bucks for the 64 gig card. Should be half that.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

whoa whoa whoa where is persona 4 golden

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Persona 4 Golden, Muramasa Rebirth, Tearaway, Lumines, OlliOlli, Spelunky, Dustforce, Dragon's Crown, LBP Vita, Killzone Mercenary, FFX, FFX-2... get a Vita if you like this list.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I just pre-ordered the slim Saturday and my Persona 4 Golden and 64 gig card came in today. It's time alright.

Fuck Sony though for charging 107 bucks for the 64 gig card. Should be half that.

I agree that it'd be great if they charged less, but that isn't the price Sony is charging.

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By McHampton

I haven't played much on the Vita since I got it with the AC Liberation bundle. Mostly PS+ free stuff. But if there was one game that made it all worth it for me, it was Gravity Rush. Pure joy from a game, I felt like I was 15 again.

It was wonderful.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By awesomeusername

Seems like you have your answer. Enjoy your Vita!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Capum15

As others have said, Persona 4 Golden.

Soul Sacrifice is pretty awesome, you already nabbed Monster Hunter from PS+ so that's good, and I've enjoyed Dragon's Crown a lot. Jumping around and kicking things as the elf never gets old.

I've sunk hours into those three playing with a friend, and I've put like 130~ hours into P4G.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll probably end up giving it a go.

I had planned to just pick up a PS4 this summer, but I feel like why there wasn't any immediate incentive since I sort of want to see what else is planned after E3. Plus, with some more traveling/vacation time this summer a Vita may come in handy.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bit the bullet, pre-ordered the new Borderlands 2 Vita Bundle that comes with the 8GB Card for $199.99.

Looking forward to it.

Pixelationist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pixelationist

Congrats! Whilst I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend the Vita to anyone I am very fond of mine, though I mainly just use in as a retro machine to play PSOne and PSP games.

The only Vita games that has managed to grab me has been P4 (obviously), and DJMax Technika Tune, which I would highly recommend if you like Rhythm games and can find a copy.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RonGalaxy

Yes, now is the time to buy a vita because it's starting to pick up some steam (thanks to the popularity of the ps4 and a bunch of great indie releases) and the OLED version is going to be unattainable at some point, because sony isn't making them anymore. And that's definitely the model you want to have.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ripelivejam

@narujoe93 said:

Yes, now is the time to buy a vita because it's starting to pick up some steam (thanks to the popularity of the ps4 and a bunch of great indie releases) and the OLED version is going to be unattainable at some point, because sony isn't making them anymore. And that's definitely the model you want to have.

the Blands2 bundle is the slim, but it has some stuff that (more?) than makes up for the OLED it seems.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#17 fisk0  Moderator

@mightyduck: The Vita can not play the PS2 classics on PSN, and only about half of the PS1 classics, just so you know. Check in the PS Store to make sure they're tagged as PS3/PSP/Vita, if they're only PS3/PSP they won't run, and I know there are at least two games that are labeled as compatible with all three (even sold on the Vita store) that you can't download to the Vita - Warhawk and Critical Depth.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@narujoe93: A new Vita with the old screen is already impossible to find in L.A., I had to settle for a refurbished model.

Anyway, Persona 4 and Final Fantasy X are great.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Gravity Rush, Dangranronpa, Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway, and VLR are stellar gaming experiences. Add to that the myriad of free PS plus stuff and cheap indie titles (and the collection of PSONE and PSP games) and I'd say the system is well worth the cost. I haven't really gone a week without using my Vita since I picked it up a year and a half ago. It's certainly seen more use than my Wii, 3ds, and 360.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: Thanks for this information. I'll start going through what I have already downloaded to check and see what will transfer over.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Persona 4 Golden, MGS HD Collection, Disgaea 3 and 4, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, Virtues Last Reward (especially if you've managed not to have that one spoiled), Tearaway, Gravity Rush. All great games, and thats not even including the PS1 and PSP offerings.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Crash and Spyro games have just now been enabled to be transferred over to the Vita.

So, yes.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I personally recommend a Vita without reservation, I think it's the best handheld since the GameBoy.

Shortly after the Vita came out, up until recently, people shit on it quite a bit. Now all I see are people saying how good it is. I'm a huge fan of the Vita, so I'm probably too biased to know whether this is because only people who use it are still talking about it or something else...but the comments on it have definitely changed for the better.

DoubleKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DoubleKR

Ladies and Duders,

Is a used Vita at $125 worth it? I'm mainly interested in remote play ps4 and ps plus stuff....

Idk part of me feels like an ipad is a much better and diverse piece of hardware.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doublekr said:

Ladies and Duders,

Is a used Vita at $125 worth it? I'm mainly interested in remote play ps4 and ps plus stuff....

Idk part of me feels like an ipad is a much better and diverse piece of hardware.

you want something that plays games though.

(boom)

DoubleKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: yes.

I see where this is going.

But if they are just going to port games. (I have a ps4/ps3) what sold you?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doublekr: Most of the games I have are available on other systems but I prefer to play them on Vita. Spelunky, Hotline Miami, Thomas Was Alone, Limbo, etc. It's just a great handheld with a fantastic screen. Really the only exclusives I've played on it out of my 20+ games are Uncharted, Lumines and Soul Sacrifice. I've had PS+ for a while, so I've got lots of PSOne, PSMini and PSP games that are also compatible with it.

The Vita is a very complimentary device for the other Sony platforms. If I'm playing a game on my PS3 and I want to check my trophies or I get a message then it is much faster to do it on the Vita than it is to load the XMB on the PS3. I'm also able to type out a message faster on it since it uses the touchscreen for a keyboard.

But really what made me buy one was I worked 12 hours on a holiday, so I made enough in that one day to pay for a new one and a memory card. Plus my work occasionally has me waiting 4 or 5 hours for a boat to show up, so having a handheld would be useful.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sole reason i'd hold off is to see if they do a price drop at E3.

Otherwise, i'd jump on it.

Far as ipad goes....I can think of three iOS games I'd actually play that aren't just ports, so i've never been able to justify it's high price tag. If you want other tablet features like e-mail and productivity apps it may be a more compelling purchase.

DoubleKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy:

Thanks, I see how it is much better than an ipad. In those regards. Quick reference, exactly how many of the recent ps plus classics (Shadow of Colosses, Chrono Trigger, ect..) actually tranfser to a fully functional Vita port, and not just a remote play?

I could see getting sucked back into Hotline Miami for a third time so fast!!!

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

...yeah, sure.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doublekr: Everything you see as available on Vita through PS+ runs natively on the Vita and not through remote play. So all those games like Hotline Miami, Retro City Rampage, Guacamelee, Stealth Inc, etc work on both the PS3 and the Vita. Most PS1 and PSP games do as well. For instance, I currently have Resident Evil 2, Hot Shots Golf 2, GTA: LCS and Castlevania Symphony of the Night on my Vita (they were all PS+ games years ago). Those Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger games that were on sale this week will work on the Vita too.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Corevi

@doublekr: Well SOTC isn't a "classic", the only version available on PSN is the HD which is a PS3 game. So remote play only on that. All PS2 classics are PS3 only (which sucks because portable GOD HAND would be rad as hell) but PS1 (only some) and PSP games work.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I can say I was on the fence for awhile and I just got mine last Tuesday. I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. I've currently got Ninja Gaiden Sigma & Sigma 2 , Muramasa Rebirth, Project Diva F,Conception 2, Persona 4 Golden and Gravity Rush on my memory card right now. I've also been using wakeup club. Its a fun little secondary application for the vita.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

OlliOlli is a fantastic little game.

Most people who get a Vita fall in love with the Vita. It's a great platform with tons of games, it's just most of its library is available elsewhere. However, the Vita is a better match for most of these games. I certainly have a great time with it.

Pro-tip: you can listen to podcasts and play games simultaneously.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Most people who get a Vita fall in love with the Vita. It's a great platform with tons of games, it's just most of its library is available elsewhere. However, the Vita is a better match for most of these games. I certainly have a great time with it.

You can only use the music app during some games. OlliOlli and 10x8 are the only two I know of that allow it. I just tried and it with a few of my games and it seems like it doesn't work with Spelunky, Lumines, PSP games and PS1 games.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@seppli said:

You can only use the music app during some games. OlliOlli and 10x8 are the only two I know of that allow it. I just tried and it with a few of my games and it seems like it doesn't work with Spelunky, Lumines, PSP games and PS1 games.

Oh really? Shame. I just used it with OlliOlli thus far. T'was pretty sweet.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MightyDuck

Just got the email that my Borderlands 2 Bundle is shipping and should be here next week.

Look forward to trying out all the PS+ games I have for it. Also pretty psyched that you can play Borderlands 2 on the PS3, upload the save to the cloud and then pick back up with the game on the Vita. I may just finally finished Borderlands 2.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doublekr said:

@ripelivejam: yes.

I see where this is going.

But if they are just going to port games. (I have a ps4/ps3) what sold you?

sorreh...

i'm doing a lot of commuting so it's a nice and powerful portable system, and PS+ has a nice slew of games i've loaded onto it so far. i'll admit i don't have that many exclusives for it (olli olli, P4G and Muramasa: Rebirth sort of count?), but many of the ports play wonderfully on it and it's a damn fine screen.

wondering how Soul Sacrifice is and may pick up Hot Shots Golf for it but i'm already kind of drowning in games for it.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Jams

My Borderlands bundle is coming late on the 13th and I bought Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush and Dragon's Crown for it too. What other games are good that you can get a physical copy of? I was thinking about that Soul Sacrifice game but I think I might want to watch the quick look again. What's the best racing game for the Vita?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.