Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Thoughts on Vita UI

downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By downloaded

I am 99% sure I am going to buy a Vita in the next couple of weeks and the only thing I am not super excited about it the UI. Does anyone else think it looks like a crappy laundry detergent commercial from the early 2000's? As great as the games look, to me the menus look big and clunky, and to be honest I much prefer the PS3/PSP XMB design. What do others think about the UI? Has Sony commented on it at all?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It actually pretty good. It's pretty zippy and is useful for multitasking stuff.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's not great but it's not that bad. It's quick and does its purpose well, it just doesn't look that great. I wouldn't be surprised to see a major UI overhaul in the 3.0 update to a style similar to the PS4's UI. It would look much better and would work well with both touch and physical inputs.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BestUsernameEver

It's a fast interface for the most part, but yes, it doesn't look great, something out of a 2008 touchscreen phone when everything was trying to resemble iPhone's app grid while making their little spin on it. One thing I do like is the pages interface though, it keeps everything really cohesive, I know if there's a manual or online options for a game, it'll be on the top of the game page before you launch a game. Honestly, it's really reliable, haven't had any problems navigating.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Seppli

I always thought it looked kinda stupid, until I actually had the thing in my hands. It works perfectly with the touchscreen interface. You also can change the background color. Personally, I changed it to black. It's slick as hell now.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the same boat. I know i'm getting one just a case of when I can find a really good one on e-bay. But anyway the reason I post is Amazon are selling the 32GB memory card for £39.99 which is the cheapest i've found here in the UK.

downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see an overhaul to the PS4 UI at some point. Does Sony do a good job of updating the system?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was really disappointed when I first started it up and it wasn't the XMB. Makes sense because of the touchscreen though.

After a while with it, I actually really like it. You're able to customise the backgrounds and organise the icons however you want, so you can make it look pretty sweet if you put some time into it. Square tiles are about the only thing I wish it had.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli

@mandude said:

Was really disappointed when I first started it up and it wasn't the XMB. Makes sense because of the touchscreen though.

After a while with it, I actually really like it. You're able to customise the backgrounds and organise the icons however you want, so you can make it look pretty sweet if you put some time into it. Square tiles are about the only thing I wish it had.

Custom Folders would be nice. Put all the system related stuff I rarely use into a Ghetto folder. Bundle up PSP & PS1 classics, and so forth. I'm currently stuck with over 3 pages of bubbles, it's still nice and snappy, but kind of messy too (despite having sorted it all to my liking).

Yeah - custom folders would be really nice (are there custom folders already, because why wouldn't there be?).

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By djou

I agree. My main problem with it is the bubbles. The UI seems to be caught in three different philosophies, the home screen bubbles, the multi-app switcher that appears as columns when you bit the PS button, and the start menu that launches when you tap the bubble.

The start menu is pointless and a half-assed attempt at social integration. When I launch a game I don't want to know the status of all my friends playing the game, this should be optional, not in your face every time the game launches.

The bubbles are functional. They open responsively and offer good organization in sub-bubbles, but why not tiles? This would fill up the empty space in the background. I don't need a UI wallpaper which is obscured by the dozens of bubbles on my screen.

IMO they should revamp the UI. The PS4 interface rips off a bunch of ideas from Windows Metro. I hope they bring the Vita in line and steal some of the ideas from the Windows phone.

@zella said:

It's not great but it's not that bad. It's quick and does its purpose well, it just doesn't look that great. I wouldn't be surprised to see a major UI overhaul in the 3.0 update to a style similar to the PS4's UI. It would look much better and would work well with both touch and physical inputs.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. My main problem with it is the bubbles. The UI seems to be caught in three different philosophies, the home screen bubbles, the multi-app switcher that appears as columns when you bit the PS button, and the start menu that launches when you tap the bubble.

The start menu is pointless and a half-assed attempt at social integration. When I launch a game I don't want to know the status of all my friends playing the game, this should be optional, not in your face every time the game launches.

The bubbles are functional. They open responsively and offer good organization in sub-bubbles, but why not tiles? This would fill up the empty space in the background. I don't need a UI wallpaper which is obscured by the dozens of bubbles on my screen.

IMO they should revamp the UI. The PS4 interface rips off a bunch of ideas from Windows Metro. I hope they bring the Vita in line and steal some of the ideas from the Windows phone.

@zella said:

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@seppli: there are folders. hold down on an icon and then press the options menu.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@mandude said:

Custom Folders would be nice. Put all the system related stuff I rarely use into a Ghetto folder. Bundle up PSP & PS1 classics, and so forth. I'm currently stuck with over 3 pages of bubbles, it's still nice and snappy, but kind of messy too (despite having sorted it all to my liking).

Yeah - custom folders would be really nice (are there custom folders already, because why wouldn't there be?).

There are custom folders. I can't remember how to create them off the top of my had but I definitely have a folder called "Crap" for all the stuff I don't use but can't delete.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@djou said:

But the social stuff isn't in your face at all. You can swipe up and see what people have done in games or what games they bought, etc. but it is in no way in you face.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hughesman

I actually really like it. I have all my psone games together with a sweet old school PS logo as the background. Also I have seperate pages for psp and minis each with different backgrounds for my favorite game in that category.

Also they recently added anti-aliasing to the bubbles so that's kinda nice.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not really a fan. It's oddly clunky. Sure games and apps load fast, and multitasking on it is pretty great, but LiveAreas are essentially useless, and I don't understand why the bubbles couldn't be in a grid pattern.

I hope it gets an updated UI. Maybe rethought LiveAreas (why are they grey blocks for PSP/PSOne games?!?!), more customization options, less preloaded, useless apps (who actually turns on Near or Welcome Park).

At least it has some fun games! Highly recommend Velocity Ultra

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mpgeist

@samstrife said:

@seppli said:

@mandude said:

There are custom folders. I can't remember how to create them off the top of my had but I definitely have a folder called "Crap" for all the stuff I don't use but can't delete.

I think you just click and hold an icon and then drag an item onto another item and then it makes the folder.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thought the recent update made it awesome, navigating with dual sticks and not getting the screen watery as fuck was a no brainier.

But don't have to worry about it anymore, since i got rid of that shit.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpgeist said:

@samstrife said:

@seppli said:

@mandude said:

I think you just click and hold an icon and then drag an item onto another item and then it makes the folder.

Oh cool. I got to try that.

Not quite, but there is folders. That *...* menu has a folder option. Once I've made a folder, I can drag other bubbles into it. Time to clean up my vita desktop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.