Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Playstation VR Demo at Gamestop This FRIDAY and SATURDAY!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

After playing RE7 and getting pretty scared (played alone at night with lights off) I can only imagine what that will feel like in VR. Now I don't have to imagine because I live in Soutern California and one of those locations is like 15 minutes from my house! Follow link to see where they will be shown.

I've never tried any VR, but I'll finally be one of the few that can sing it's praises. Putting this out there since I would have missed it it if not for a lucky page view.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/events/PSVR-Demo/

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By golguin

I waited in line for 2 hours for a 10 minute demo, but I believe it was worth it in the end because I finally know THE FUTURE. I'll edit this post once I can collect my thoughts on the demo, but I can say for sure that it only took me like 10 seconds to accept my in world digital hands (I was holding 2 Playstation Move controllers) as my own.

Did anyone else try Playstation VR?

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

They have another one going this weekend. Went to the closest GameStop that was doing it and no one was there. The guy let me play almost all the demos (one they weren't allowed to do because of language and GameStops family enviorment, and the other one I just didn't want to do).

I first gotta say I am sold, and I am glad I have mine preordered (the bundle that comes with everything). The only thing that disappointed me was seeing the person after me play. It was a kid and he just stared straight ahead. I was moving around seeing what I could see around me.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Shindig

Saw some actual retail game boxes on shelves today. Slightly freaked me out. Hustle Kings in VR's the only one I look at with serious legs but I'm not going to get a unit.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

Saw some actual retail game boxes on shelves today. Slightly freaked me out. Hustle Kings in VR's the only one I look at with serious legs but I'm not going to get a unit.

You mean they have games with the PSVR logo on the boxes available right now? If that's the case, I'm assuming they'll also work as traditional games as well.

@golguin said:

I waited in line for 2 hours for a 10 minute demo, but I believe it was worth it in the end because I finally know THE FUTURE. I'll edit this post once I can collect my thoughts on the demo, but I can say for sure that it only took me like 10 seconds to accept my in world digital hands (I was holding 2 Playstation Move controllers) as my own.

Care to come back to this and expand upon your thoughts? Did it really seem like PSVR was able to get rid of the screen door effect?

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the pinkeye optional?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Is the pinkeye optional?

I'm pretty sure nothing touches your eye, so then yes? Personally, I'd be more concerned with lice than anything else.

justinrwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By justinrwalsh

It's awesome to read some feedback from those that have never tried VR before on PSVR- I would like to hear how some people that have tried VIVE and RIFT for how the PSVR holds up. I KNOW it's literally less tech, but I haven't heard a TON from regular consumers on their views on how it holds up etc.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

You mean they have games with the PSVR logo on the boxes available right now? If that's the case, I'm assuming they'll also work as traditional games as well.

@golguin said:

Care to come back to this and expand upon your thoughts? Did it really seem like PSVR was able to get rid of the screen door effect?

I've actually been able to try PSVR for a second time at my local Best Buy, but this time I took my my girlfriend and my dad to try it out as well. They had the underwater cage diving demo and Eve Valkyrie. I had my dad try it first. He isn't easily phased so I knew that if PSVR had an effect on him then my girlfriend was going to have a big reaction. He was pretty chill for most of and he was looking all around his surrounding. The shark attack shook him up a bit up until the moment it tore the cage door off. After that he had some pretty strong reactions. I talked to him after and he totally bought his surroundings. My dad doesn't play video games and he ended up super excited about it. My girlfriend had a much stronger reaction to everything going on, but she had a good time.

I tried Eve Valkyrie and I can say for sure that the move controllers add quite a bit to the sense of immersion as it's exclusion in Eve Valkyrie was felt. It was a bit lacking compared to that heist shootout demo, which used 2 move controllers. That being said Eve does a nice trick of showing your sitting body holding the steering wheel exactly in the position you'd normally hold the controller. Once you're in spacing dog fighting other enemy ships you totally forget that you're playing the game. I've played several Ace Combat games and it was a rush to be able to follow ships by looking up in the cockpit. I was turning and swaying and moving my head independent of where I was flying.

PSVR still feels mind blowing and I'd like to try out more demos.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shindig

@spaceinsomniac: Yes. Mainly just to show people they're taking preorders. And yes, some of them do work as traditional games. There's some wording on the box that tell you which ones are VR only and which ones are VR enabled. Wording that gets obscured by the pricetag so ... beware of that. Images:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@golguin said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:
    @shindig said:

@golguin said:

I've actually been able to try PSVR for a second time at my local Best Buy, but this time I took my my girlfriend and my dad to try it out as well. They had the underwater cage diving demo and Eve Valkyrie. I had my dad try it first. He isn't easily phased so I knew that if PSVR had an effect on him then my girlfriend was going to have a big reaction. He was pretty chill for most of and he was looking all around his surrounding. The shark attack shook him up a bit up until the moment it tore the cage door off. After that he had some pretty strong reactions. I talked to him after and he totally bought his surroundings. My dad doesn't play video games and he ended up super excited about it. My girlfriend had a much stronger reaction to everything going on, but she had a good time.

I tried Eve Valkyrie and I can say for sure that the move controllers add quite a bit to the sense of immersion as it's exclusion in Eve Valkyrie was felt. It was a bit lacking compared to that heist shootout demo, which used 2 move controllers. That being said Eve does a nice trick of showing your sitting body holding the steering wheel exactly in the position you'd normally hold the controller. Once you're in spacing dog fighting other enemy ships you totally forget that you're playing the game. I've played several Ace Combat games and it was a rush to be able to follow ships by looking up in the cockpit. I was turning and swaying and moving my head independent of where I was flying.

PSVR still feels mind blowing and I'd like to try out more demos.

Thanks for the write-up.

Nintendo was able to change the world and demographics of video games with poorly implemented motion controls and a TV remote shaped controller, at least for a little while. I don't think anyone is prepared for how massive console VR could be with people who don't traditionally play video games. We just need developers who can create interesting worlds to explore, using intuitive controls that don't sacrifice ability for simplicity.

Most non-gamers can wrap their heads around a directional pad in a simple 2D platformer, but learning first-person movement controls is another matter altogether, and VR seems like it could solve that issue completely and instantly.

Lastly, I love my violent games, and I love my action movies, but there are many people in the world that don't enjoy action movies. To really break into the mainstream, video games are going to have to step out of their comfort zones a bit more often. I can't see my mom wanting to step into a tank in Battlezone--and silly but ultimately shallow fun like Tea Party Simulator will get old very quickly--but if she could play a Phoenix Wright game in VR, that sort of experience wouldn't get old.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oh shit, one of the Gamestops is one of the ones I used to go to years ago that's like five minutes away from my house! I'm not seeing a date on this page; are they there every weekend?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy, I wish this shit was demo-able in the Netherlands.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely not driving to Lodi to try this out. I'll just wait until October.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The closest GameStop only had it this last Saturday and this upcoming Saturday. While Best Buy is listed as all weekend for the next month.

One disappointing thing. I went to Best Buy since I wasn't able to play a game with the Move controller, and the guy told me that London Heist demo was GameStop exclusive (the guy at the GameStop demo said they couldn't demo the game because was M rated). I may have gotten that guy in trouble.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.