Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Ubisoft returns to the Sands of Time universe for a fourth time in this May 2010 release, set in between the first two games in the trilogy and coinciding with the release of the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time movie.

Forgotten Sands First Wii Screens

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Update: new trailer:

Update: developer description & game footage:
    At first I thought it looked well below the screens but it got better as the video continued, it has some good stuff in there, hopefully it makes a satisfying whole. 

Original post: it looks comparable to the previous Prince of Persia trilogy with extra visual flair on top. Hopefully the level design and game structure are good enough to make it a worthy addition to the series, even though it's developed by a different studio than the PS360 versions.

IGN preview. 60 fps, yay. It includes the screens from the scans in direct feed:
    Dayum, who are you and what did you do to the REAL Ubisoft? Don't fuck this one up, please.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

MotionPlus plz.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

Art style looks infinitely better than the last Prince of Persia game by, you know, looking slightly persian.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " Art style looks infinitely better than the last Prince of Persia game by, you know, looking slightly persian. "
    But the last Prince of Persia wasn't set in Persia. The were two reasons they gave it that name -- brand recognition, and the fact that if they didn't call it Prince of Persia, everyone would just say "This is totally a Prince of Persia game, so why the hell didn't they just call it that?" -- neither of which have anything to do with princes or Persia. 

So honestly, I really don't think you can fault its art style for not being Persian.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By End_Boss

Good looking game. Glad they were able to make it work for the Wii.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Icemael said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " Art style looks infinitely better than the last Prince of Persia game by, you know, looking slightly persian. "
    But the last Prince of Persia wasn't set in Persia. The were two reasons they gave it that name -- brand recognition, and the fact that if they didn't call it Prince of Persia, everyone would just say "This is totally a Prince of Persia game, so why the hell didn't they just call it that?" -- neither of which have anything to do with princes or Persia.  So honestly, I really don't think you can fault its art style for not being Persian. "
    No, but I can fault that piece of shit game for existing. If it wasn't even set in Persia, that's another reason for me to not like it.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Icemael
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    But the last Prince of Persia wasn't set in Persia. The were two reasons they gave it that name -- brand recognition, and the fact that if they didn't call it Prince of Persia, everyone would just say "This is totally a Prince of Persia game, so why the hell didn't they just call it that?" -- neither of which have anything to do with princes or Persia.  So honestly, I really don't think you can fault its art style for not being Persian. "
    No, but I can fault that piece of shit game for existing. If it wasn't even set in Persia, that's another reason for me to not like it. "
    Well, much like the first Assassin's Creed, it's a love it or hate it kind of game. I liked it more than any of the Sands of Time games.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " No. "
    Not interested then.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icemael
    @Meowayne said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

" No. "
    Not interested then. "
    Because motion control was what made the Sands of Time trilogy so good, amirite?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meowayne

What they did with the regular Wiimote is completely irrelevant.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne

I'm not asking for MotionPlus to be required, I'm asking for it to be supported.

If you make a game on the Wii, use gesture input, but don't support MotionPlus, that is something to complain about. 

For me, this is comparable to PC games not having sound or not supporting, I don't know, the mouse wheel. Sure they can be found without it, why shouldn't they? But the technology is there, it will improve your game, so use it.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icemael
    @Meowayne said:

" What they did with the regular Wiimote is completely irrelevant. "

Read this: 

"I heard they're developing this really awesome game for the Wii." 
    "Does it utilize Motion Plus?" 
    "Nope." 
    "Not interested." 
    "But dude, motion control isn't what makes the game awesome. In fact, judging by the previous games is the series, motion control would take away from the experience." 
    "Irrelevant."

Did that make any sense to you? Because if it did, something's seriously wrong with you. There are plenty of great Wii games that don't use(and more importantly, don't need) Motion Plus, or motion control at all, for that matter. Passing on a game simply because it doesn't support Motion Plus -- or buying it simply because it does -- is imbecilic.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Ghostiet
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    No, but I can fault that piece of shit game for existing. If it wasn't even set in Persia, that's another reason for me to not like it. "

Amen.

It's great they are returning to the roots of the relaunched series, I just hope it won't be too similar to Warrior Within. The Two Thrones were a bit "meh" because of that lack of new stuff, and at some points even downgrading it.

Also, I hope Robin Atkin-Downes is back. Yuri Lowenthal was fitting only in the first one.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Andorski

Other than the pictures looking a little grainy, the game looks good.  I dare say that it looks a lot better than Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemael
    @Meowayne said:

"I'm not asking for MotionPlus to be required, I'm asking for it to be supported.

If you make a game on the Wii, use gesture input, but don't support MotionPlus, that is something to complain about."

You aren't making any sense. I mean, look at yourself. You're complaining about poor motion control before they've even said anything about motion control. What if there won't be any? What if there will be motion control, except it's so simple that Motion Plus wouldn't improve anything(No More Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy, Zack & Wiki, de Blob and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition are all great examples of games that wouldn't benefit from Motion Plus)? 

If they announce that they're doing something in the vein of Red Steel's sword combat without Motion Plus, by all means, complain all you want. But until then, you have no right to criticize the absence of Motion Plus support.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Pie
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Scooper

Looks nice. Played the shit out of the first POP on GameCube and loved it. Didn't play any of the others apart from like 5 mins at a friend's house on PS2 and it was meh. This looks real nice too. I hope it turns out good.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowayne

That's all I have to say in regards to those screens.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By nanikore
    @Andorski: It won't be in that resolution.
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AltonBrown
    @Andorski: That's Warrior Within, bub.

Edit: Or not... Sorry.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Meowayne

Looks like a fun game, but I was right to call bullshots. 

Also, someone needs to be kicked in the groin for making the prince look somewhat like Jake Gyllenhaal.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some environments from the screenshots can be glimpsed and look pretty much like that. Not bullshots, just a select choice of the better looking stuff. Sad not everything is of that same quality, the giant boss looked especially fugly with textures worse than a PS2 title. Clearly a cheap production, but looks ok. It should be nicer in 60 fps footage (most flash streams outside gamersyde are 30), it does make a difference (if you've seen their RS2 cam feeds). Hope they polish it further in the crunch time to release though (2 months), it clearly has more potential than the more PS2-like quality content shows.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowayne

I don't know. I am playing God of War: Chains of Olympus on the PSP(!) at the moment, and I feel like it looks significantly better than that. 

(yeah yeah, I know, art direction and fixed camera angles)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some nice Forgotten Sands Wii footage. I like this particular video, even though it's just the tutorial.

It's quite "busy" with crumbling stuff and sand in the atmosphere. That helps, well, not exactly hide the low resolution textures, but take focus away, and make a nice looking whole. Hopefully many of the levels will be as neat. Other than that, I didn't like the cheap blue line effects preceeding climbing jumps (why have an effect at all?) and what not, and some animations didn't seem to flow great. I'm back to thinking it's promising I guess. My main fear is length and polish in the full game I guess. If Ubisoft gave enough time and funds to make it a worthy experience.

Then again I just finished Conviction on PC and it took like a couple of afternoons, but at least it had over the top production values, which this doesn't seem to have. Not that it made me feel any less miffed when it was over so quickly and without any grand set pieces. Who thought of having a game with no boss fights? Metal Gear is so ahead of Splinter Cell with actual (at times) challenging stealth gameplay (whenever I was discovered in Conviction I just shot everyone dead) and sweet bosses. There was just one helicopter section in Conviction but you were avoiding it while going somewhere as usual, so I guess it was a set piece, not a boss. Still, it was way too easy, as was Assassin's Creed 2 (which at least was longer, I quite enjoyed it), and yet people blame Nintendo for dumbing shit down when such big franchises like these are much more so, but they're shooty/bloody, so it's all good, right? Meh.

It also keeps saying the Conviction server is unavailable so I can't even try multiplayer, even though getting DLC worked (a couple of new weapons, nothing to make me replay the single player). Hurray for Ubisoft's service, I totally find their DRM tolerable since they do such great work. Not.

Oh well, I guess these games I can speed through make a nice change of pace from Monster Hunter Tri, lol. I was trying to capture the damn Qurupeko and it called a Rathian for help which took like over half my health in a single hit, and I only had three dung bombs, I missed one, and the other two had no apparent effect instead of making it leave, so that was the first quest I failed. Well, not quite, I had 2 more tries after the first knock down, perhaps I would have managed if they separated, which they would, but I got frustrated and turned it off instead

Edit: ugh, I didn't watch this whole video, I don't wanna spoil the whole game, but...
    ...it's showing some combat at 2:35 and that looks pretty bad, less fluid and hard hitting than even Sands of Time. Hopefully it was more the player's doing but there were some questionable mechanics like the random close up slow mo and how he suddenly "stuck" to enemies after being in a completely different direction which made it look weird. Hopefully it doesn't have much of that and the boss fights work better and in more puzzle-platforming ways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.