By zyn 1 Comments
I usually post technology stuff on my Tested blog, but it's currently disabled due to high amount of blog spams; so I'm posting this problem-with-solution here. It may be of use to someone.
p.s. Please pardon the formatting of this blog post, Giant Bomb tools are borked during the writing of this post.
tl;dr: If you have problems exporting your bookmarks to HTML or syncing via Xmarks, just give your problematic bookmarks a 8+ character name.
To keep things simple (because I've done about 3 edits on this post, so far) here is what my problem was, what I used, and what happened:
- Strangely, and only recently, some of my bookmarks are missing.
- I used Xmarks to sync and backup my bookmarks. It may be Xmarks fault, so I uninstalled it.
- I thought my Firefox bookmarks database was corrupted. I repaired my bookmark database file by closing all my Firefox windows first, then deleted the "places.sqlite" file in my Firefox profile (located here (for Windows 7): %appdata%\mozilla\firefox\profiles - there should be a file with a strange named folder, that is your profile). It may be this problem, so I did this.
- Finally, after looking, comparing, and testing things in my bookmarks; I found that a bookmark (when exported via HTML or Xmarks) that does NOT have a name or has a name with 7 characters or less, does not actually get exported (weird, I know). If that bookmark is in a folder, the folder name is listed in the exported HTML/Xmark file though. (?!)
- So, I had to...
- Backup (via Backup or exporting to HTML in the Library window) my current updated bookmark file (with missing bookmarks)
- Lucky I had this: Restored my old bookmark file (with the missing bookmarks) (WARNING: Restoring from a backup file will replace all your bookmarks!!!)
- Opened all my previously missing bookmarks.
- You may skip this step, but just in case: I gave each, individual missing bookmark (that was missing in my updated bookmark file) a name (such as: "this is a bookmark")
- Restored to my updated bookmark file (with the missing bookmarks)
- Bookmark all the previously missing bookmark websites.
... ??? ... !!! ... Profit?