Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Punch-Out!!

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Nintendo brings back Little Mac and a slew of memorable opponents in this Wii remake of the cartoon-boxing classic.

PunchOut!! Wii Producer Wants A Sequel

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

The producers of the Wii version of the classic Punch-Out!! have expressed wish to make a sequel to Nintendo's heavy hitting comedy punch up.

In a magazine interview with Next Level Games, out this week, producerKen Yeeloysays he would like to:

"evolve the franchise further and add some cool, new things." The original was designed to be similar to the NES original, a "definite, undeniable connection to the original"

Gameplay lead Bryce Hollidayadded that:

"when the current title has gathered its new fanbase I would personally love to take the IP and the mechanic and give it a little twist. Cooperative, competitive multiplayer support or create-a-boss mode would be places to start but we'd need to come up with a new 'hook' like the motion controllers gave us in this iteration."
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DanielJW

I'm not sure if I like where that is going. Punch Out is cool with me now, and features like multiplayer and create-a-boss sound cool, but this "new hook" worries me.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

They did a good job with this one so why not? Add more Super Punch Out characters, a more fleshed out multiplayer where you can choose who to play as, or perhaps have one player still be Mac and the other one of the bosses, the features they mention here, a super hard mode, downloadable replays with online leaderboards, and you're set. Go for it.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DanielJW
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " They did a good job with this one so why not? Add more Super Punch Out characters, a more fleshed out multiplayer where you can choose who to play as, or perhaps have one player still be Mac and the other one of the bosses, the features they mention here, a super hard mode, downloadable replays with online leaderboards, and you're set. Go for it. "
    That sounds ok to me, but what sets of alarms is that new hook. If they add some crazy twist to the gameplay they risk losing the simplicity they've got. And since they site motion controls as the hook for the current Punch Out, doesn't that insinuate they're looking to do a big change?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

It insinuates they want something to market it with. Motion controls were hardly a hook for anything but marketing and didn't affect the product. A new hook may be a similarly negligible thing, or a gameplay feature that is a real hook for once, like I don't know, the sharing of replays and what not. Like YouTube is filled with users showing off how fast they can beat bosses in the previous games, they can have in-game tools that allow that kind of public competition and showing off, weekly or monthly tournaments, and what not. Whatever works.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DanielJW

Again all the things your describing sound great to me, just something in the wording of that quote is irking me. I really don't want to see a big overhaul of the gameplay mechanics or any crap like that. I'd hope Next Level is smart enough to not try something stupid like that. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.