Rayman Origins Episode 1 Hits Christmas

Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

Giant Bomb's non-stop coverage of a 2D platformer that I think looks like it could be pretty fun continues unabated! Ubisoft has released a second FAQ centered around their downloadable, episodic platformer, Rayman Origins, and while it's not nearly as " biiiiiig" as the previous FAQ, it does come with a release window, and that's pretty good too.  

Ubisoft has confirmed that the first episode of Rayman Origins (that's the longer introductory episode that will be followed by additional, smaller episodes) will be out this Christmas on "HD consoles." The rest of the Rayman Origins season will be released throughout 2011.

Oh Rayman, you wacky pervert!

This is the second time that Ubisoft has specifically referred to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 as the "HD consoles," rather than by referring to the platforms by name. Apparently, in the few weeks between the first FAQ and the second, Ubisoft has done quite a bit of "looking into," as they've posted a list of potential platforms to bring Rayman Origins to in the future.  In addition to the 360 and the PS3, Ubisoft is "considering" bringing Rayman's original antics to the PC, Wii, iPad, and the 3DS.

Now, I know that Rayman Origins hasn't been officially announced for those other platforms yet, but wouldn't this high resolution artwork look great on the iPad and 3DS? I mean, sure, It wouldn't "play well" on the iPad, and the resolution would undoubtedly be lower on the 3DS. However, I think both of those platforms offer different visual highlights that make the game a neat fit on those platforms. I mean, this artwork would look slick on the iPad screen. And those forests behind Rayman are pretty great, but wouldn't they be better.... in 3D?! We'll find out if Ubisoft thinks those platforms work for Rayman in the future, and we'll see if Rayman Origins does its legacy proud when the game hits download tubes in December.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

Giant Bomb's non-stop coverage of a 2D platformer that I think looks like it could be pretty fun continues unabated! Ubisoft has released a second FAQ centered around their downloadable, episodic platformer, Rayman Origins, and while it's not nearly as " biiiiiig" as the previous FAQ, it does come with a release window, and that's pretty good too.  

Ubisoft has confirmed that the first episode of Rayman Origins (that's the longer introductory episode that will be followed by additional, smaller episodes) will be out this Christmas on "HD consoles." The rest of the Rayman Origins season will be released throughout 2011.

Oh Rayman, you wacky pervert!

This is the second time that Ubisoft has specifically referred to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 as the "HD consoles," rather than by referring to the platforms by name. Apparently, in the few weeks between the first FAQ and the second, Ubisoft has done quite a bit of "looking into," as they've posted a list of potential platforms to bring Rayman Origins to in the future.  In addition to the 360 and the PS3, Ubisoft is "considering" bringing Rayman's original antics to the PC, Wii, iPad, and the 3DS.

Now, I know that Rayman Origins hasn't been officially announced for those other platforms yet, but wouldn't this high resolution artwork look great on the iPad and 3DS? I mean, sure, It wouldn't "play well" on the iPad, and the resolution would undoubtedly be lower on the 3DS. However, I think both of those platforms offer different visual highlights that make the game a neat fit on those platforms. I mean, this artwork would look slick on the iPad screen. And those forests behind Rayman are pretty great, but wouldn't they be better.... in 3D?! We'll find out if Ubisoft thinks those platforms work for Rayman in the future, and we'll see if Rayman Origins does its legacy proud when the game hits download tubes in December.
#2 Posted by Farmer (328 posts) -

Cool stuff

#3 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Truly this is the age of Rayman.

#4 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

hope it turns out well.

#5 Posted by JacDG (2117 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to this!!

#6 Posted by Soulblitz (349 posts) -

Huh, can't wait to get it on 360, but it could look fantastic on the iPad. It'll be interesting to see if they go forward with that.

#7 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

MIIS TOTALLY RIPPED OFF RAYMANS.  HE HAS NO ARMS OR LEGS FIRST.

#8 Posted by MjHealy (1838 posts) -

Ahem...

YEAH!!!

So yeah, pretty excited.

#9 Posted by ch3burashka (5036 posts) -

I picked up a used copy of Rayman 2 at my local store after the announcement - it's still good, although it looks like a N64 game. 

I'm psyched for all this cool stuff, and at the same time, I'm pissed that there is so MUCH cool stuff: I have neither the money nor the time to play everything!

#10 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

It's so awesome that I will be able to play the thingamajig this christmas.  That and watch some TRON.

#11 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Really cool looking game, just not too keen on the whole episodic thing. This is Rayman, not Mass Effect, why not just short, self contained games. Then you can experiment with different play mechanics and elements between titles.

#12 Posted by cikame (988 posts) -

Was way excited before Episodic was mentioned.

#13 Posted by MancombSeepgood (322 posts) -
@cikame said:
" Was way excited before Episodic was mentioned. "
#14 Posted by paulunga (1966 posts) -

From what I've seen of the 3DS I don't think they'd have to downsample the art, outside of the much smaller screen obviously having a lower native resolution. And that would probably be my console of choice for a new 2D Rayman.

#15 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -
@MancombSeepgood said:
" @cikame said:
"
#16 Posted by JohnnyMaverik (61 posts) -

"those forests behind Rayman are pretty great, but wouldn't they be better.... in 3D?!  "  

No. 

#17 Posted by Toxin066 (3271 posts) -
@RobotHamster said:
" @MancombSeepgood said:
" @cikame said:
"
"
#18 Posted by mspainhour (27 posts) -
@fwylo: Nay, truly this is the age of Kid Rock.
#19 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@mspainhour said:
" @fwylo: Nay, truly this is the age of Kid Rock. "
Ah fuck, good one haha.
#20 Posted by ghostNPC (770 posts) -
@Toxin066 said:
" @RobotHamster said:
" @MancombSeepgood said:
" @cikame said:
"
"
"

#21 Posted by hpv (177 posts) -

If you want "those graphics" on an ipad load a screenshot.

#22 Posted by DiegoBitterman (30 posts) -
@JohnnyMaverik said:
"  "those forests behind Rayman are pretty great, but wouldn't they be better.... in 3D?!  "   No.  "
NO!.
#23 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -
@ghostNPC said:
" @Toxin066 said:
" @RobotHamster said:
" @MancombSeepgood said:
" @cikame said:
"
"
"
"
"
#24 Posted by Fezz (440 posts) -

Awesome. I can't wait.

#25 Posted by liako21 (519 posts) -

the art work in this game looks great and raymans new friend looks pretty funny. hopefully it turns out to be a good game.

#26 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Sweet! 

#27 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@ghostNPC said:
" @Toxin066 said:
" @RobotHamster said:
" @MancombSeepgood said:
" @cikame said:
"
"
"
"
#28 Posted by Olimar_91 (34 posts) -

People are really gonna complain about this being episodic? Would you prefer them to just call the episodes a series and release several sequels stretched over a longer course of time?

#29 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

No they want them to develop the whole game before they release anything, it's not the quality of the game it's how long you wait for it.

#30 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@Olimar_91 said:
" People are really gonna complain about this being episodic? Would you prefer them to just call the episodes a series and release several sequels stretched over a longer course of time? "
Mostly due to the sting that is the Half-Life 2 episodes, episodic content has not truly flown except for a few franchises, like Sam & Max, who do it right.  I don't see how Rayman can benefit from an episodic format, as there is only so much control you can perform in a 2D rayman game.  

It is like if Gears of War 3 all of a sudden had all of the chapters seperated as seperate releases, and to enjoy the full experience, you have to purchase all of them seperately at premium price, or wait for a bundle.  It sounds like a neat idea for developers to space their resources out to spend more time crafting each segment better, but in reality this does not happen as much as it should.

I personally would rather wait, and get the whole package right there and then, instead of waiting for a new episode to come out.  I expect this mode of delivery in TV shows, not games, unless done well.  

Lastly, there is the problem that the episodes will cease production before its completion, which is probably the biggest worry of them all.  But that's just my opinion on the matter.  It is more a legitimate concern rather than a complaint for the most part.
#31 Posted by BaconGames (3358 posts) -

Ubisoft gotta leave out PC gamers to dry again?  SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 

Goddamn right they better put this on the PC.

#32 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

Christmas!? I have to wait for a game that looks as good as that until Christmas? Oh well...

#33 Posted by kitsune_conundrum (1202 posts) -

noone is more authentic than rayman.

#34 Posted by ethan (776 posts) -

Who is this Bodega kid?

#35 Posted by ToadRunner (277 posts) -

rayman 1 was awful, rayman 2 was awesome.

glad to see they are emulating rayman 1 here.

and i like how this writer refers to the ipad as if it were some sort of game playing electronic machine device

#36 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6294 posts) -

I love that Raymin! Almost as much as Batmin.

#37 Edited by whatisdelicious (1210 posts) -
@Matt Kessler said: 

I mean, sure, It wouldn't "play well" on the iPad    

I mean, it's not like it's a "video game" or anything.
#38 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

I want to be on the PC, but I wonder if Ubi will use their bullshit DRM for such a small title. If not, brilliant. if there is no way I'd buy it.

#39 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -
@ToadRunner said:
" rayman 1 was awful, rayman 2 was awesome.  glad to see they are emulating rayman 1 here.  and i like how this writer refers to the ipad as if it were some sort of game playing electronic machine device "
What?  Rayman one was hard as nails, to a point where I hope they don't attempt to emulate, but it was a classic game and has aged better than most games this past decade, even in terms of graphics.

And for those complaining about it being episodic?  Come on, have you ever played a Telltale game?  Sam & Max, Monkey Island?  They not only worked being episodic, but in my opinion greatly benefited from the multi-part format.  It let you play the games in shorter bursts, each episode beingg 4-6 hours long (making it far longer than one big release would have likely been) and it kept you excited for the story the whole way through.  The community and discussions on the forums were excellent.

I'm not sure how well it'll work for a platform game, but this just seems to be another case of gamers instantly dismissing something that's new or different.  Stop being so cynical and look at the actual merits.
#40 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -
@ethan said:
" Who is this Bodega kid? "
Someone worth not paying attention to. 
#41 Posted by ConfuciusOne (46 posts) -

That's just awesome.  Never played a Rayman game before but I'm super excited for it for some reason.    I have to agree about being a little disappointed at it being episodic, though.

#42 Posted by Nasar7 (2610 posts) -

So will Rayman decapitate his foes via whirling helicopter blades?

#43 Posted by TheRandomKo (240 posts) -

Loved Rayman back when i were young... And this looks just like back then..

#44 Posted by ethan (776 posts) -
@Daryl said:
" @ethan said:
" Who is this Bodega kid? "
Someone worth not paying attention to.  "
Too late.
#45 Posted by Garfield360UK (453 posts) -

Is this title still on for this Christmas?
#46 Posted by Portis (1286 posts) -
@Garfield360UK said:
" Is this title still on for this Christmas? "

The official word hasn't changed (end of 2010/Q4 2010 -- however you want to word it.) So I'd assume so. Pretty excited about this, personally. :)
#47 Posted by Garfield360UK (453 posts) -
@Portis:
Ah good good. I hope we do see it as I am very interested in playing it. I really enjoyed the first game on the original Playstation so this will bring back the memories.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.