Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

PS3 Freezing Problems?

sandal_hat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sandal_hat

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but over about the 5 to 6 hours I have been playing Red Dead on the PS3 it has locked up 3 times. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it locks up. So anybody else having this problem or just me?

Piglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Piglet

Some of the reviews I have read mentioned that it wasn't all that uncommon for a lock up to happen once in a while (360 and ps3).  I personally haven't had it happen, but GTAIV does it occasionally on my PS3 so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens to me too with Red Dead.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

I was playing my friends PS3 version last night, after he got it. We played from around 10PM to 3 in the morning and it locked up 3 times. He took the game back and asked for a new copy today before he went into work. I'll have to see whether this new copy freezes too, he's at work during the afternoon though. Might go over later on tonight. 

I just got home with my 360 version though, I've been playing for 2 hours with no problems

sandal_hat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sandal_hat
    @xyzygy: Yeah that sounds pretty close to what mine is doing. Let me know what the verdict is when your buddy finds out. But then again it might be a software thing that Rockstar will just have to patch...
    quinistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By quinistheman

I've played about 6 hours on PS3 with no issues.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy
    @sandal_hat:
    I'm at my friend place now. He picked me up at around 5 (7:40 now) got to his place a little after 5, and were playing the game since then with his new copy. It froze once at a loading screen at the start of the mission with the rabbits. But we've been playing for 1.5 hours and it still froze, so he's sitting beside me pretty pissed off. He is going to re-buy the game for his 360 when he gets one at the end of the month, lol!! 

It'll be better then anyway because me and him can play online together! So yay for PS3 freezing issues
    Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jasonofindy

Just looking at this thread there are a couple of PS3 owners here who have the problem and a couple who haven't.  It might be helpful if those with or without the problem stated which model PS3 they had.  Since it only installs 600Mb, my guess is that it could be a streaming issue and those with older Blu-ray drives may be the ones with an issue.  This is a GUESS based on Rockstar's heavy use of streaming content off the disc.  

Area51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Area51

I've played about 3-4 hours of the singleplayer, and had it freeze up on me once so far. 

I'm on the PS3 Phat (80GB MGS4 bundle to be exact).

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I played it for probably around 10 hours now on PS3, and it hasn't frozen up. however, going to the poker game in armadillo almost locks me up. I press Circle to play and he just stands that. Eventually he sits down. Also, the characters on the table have texture popping issues. Thats happened like 3 times or so. After i beat the table I haven't gone back, and nothing of the sort has happened again.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By LiquidS

Im on the PS3 slim and havent locked up after 5-10 hours play. 
    Though I have had 1 mission I couldnt complete because one of the bad guys was invisible, I could see gun smoke but couldnt hit him. Will try the mission again sometime soon.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By TheHT

Never had freezing but the game crashed once while I was in Free Roam.

Einchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Einchy

Mine has frozen so many times that I can't even play the damn game anymore.  I can't progress in the story if my game freezes every ten minutes.
    Also, we're not the only ones having this issue.
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7xMF0apZDg
    It seems like the discs have some issues, or so says that guy.

[edit]

I'm playing it on the 360.

sandal_hat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sandal_hat

Yeah to be more specific I am playing on a PS3 slim. Since I posted this it locked up on me one more time with a total of 8+ hours clocked. I think it is just a software thing on Rockstar's end that they will have to patch. Also after seeing some of the 360/ PS3 screen comparisons and this freezing issue I was about to go out and buy the 360 version... Alas  money constraints won the day so I am gritting and bearing it through the PS3 version. The lock ups haven't set me back too far and they seem to happen primarily on bounty missions so I guess I'll just keep plugging along. :/

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy
    @sandal_hat: How long ago did you get the game? Can you not take it back and tell them that it keeps freezing on your PS3, and that you want the 360 version? I mean if you want the 360 version like you said. It will look a little nicer too.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @xyzygy said:

" @sandal_hat: How long ago did you get the game? Can you not take it back and tell them that it keeps freezing on your PS3, and that you want the 360 version? I mean if you want the 360 version like you said. It will look a little nicer too. "

Read Einchy's comment above.  It freezes on the 360, as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.