Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Red Dead Redemption is now Xbox One X Enhanced. Anyone try it out?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Considering it has been a game that many people wanted on PC, and though enhancing it on the X may not be what those people wanted exactly, I thought maybe the X enhancement might excite at least some, and I'm wondering if there is anyone here that has tried it and can say what they think. The more and more I think about it, the more I want an X to be honest; the only thing really holding me back now is if they announce a new generation of console soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played an hour or so earlier, and it looks great and sharp. I'm pretty impressed at what 4k resolution can do to some older games.

It also reminded me that RDR is a great game, so I think I'm in for another play through it.

OrangeLadBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@firepaw: Is it running at 4K? I just went to the Enhanced game list (https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list) and it does not say that it is 4K or HDR just enhanced. Happy to hear it looks better I will check after work. Side note I am kind of surprised that they haven't added RDR2 to the list and state if it is 4K HDR .

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@firepaw: Is it running at 4K? I just went to the Enhanced game list (https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list) and it does not say that it is 4K or HDR just enhanced. Happy to hear it looks better I will check after work. Side note I am kind of surprised that they haven't added RDR2 to the list and state if it is 4K HDR .

Eurogamer claims it is, complete with a nice comparison video.

Also, R* has an exclusive partnership with Sony, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're actively trying to not release the (likely superior) marks RDR2 will hit on the Xbox One X.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangeladboy: I don't know actually, but it does look really sharp. The biggest issue for me is the resolution of textures on the character models, that haven't aged very well, but it is from 2010 after all.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just had a look. The X1X enhanced options offer separate "graphics" and "performance" modes, so presumably that means either 4K or 60fps. No idea if the 4K setting is genuine 2160p throughout or some version of checkerboarding. Hopefully, Digital Foundry will do an analysis video.

TL;DR - It looks nice.

Loading Video...

moyer78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By moyer78

For me it's a pretty big difference even on a 1080p television. Lots of details show up that I never noticed before. Everything now is very sharp and clear, whereas before the game was blurry and had lots of jaggies.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, it looks incredible. I foresee myself taking a lot of screenshots. If you leave Marston idle for a few minutes, the camera will pan out to landscape vista view btw.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@frytup: No, VG Tech has said performance mode is just 30fps capped, which is curious considering the 4K works at a rather steady 30fps as it is right? Oh, and yeah as far as I've seen, all reports say it's a full 4K.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: that's...weird. If I am understanding you right, there seems to be very little reason to play it in Performance mode.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Correct. And also correct that it is weird. I don't really understand the option.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: there are probably areas that dip under 30, might just be a few or later in the game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Maybe, but not enough to go to the performance mode I'm thinking, which is why it's weird. I could understand it if it's the only option 1080p screen users have, but it seems that's not the case as @moyer78 pretty much stated?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

It didn't look that bad on the 360 did it?

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ohagan said:

It didn't look that bad on the 360 did it?

It ran in 720p on the 360, which at the time I remember considering borderline.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ohagan: No, especially not at the time (heck, I played the visually inferior version on PS3 first and still thought it looked superb at the time), but what the One version does is allow for a near steady 30fps when the 360, and especially PS3 versions didn't have, and now the X version runs at a much higher resolution.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, just wanted to update. I will be watching the video once I post it here, but if anyone cares further, Digital Foundry actually did a video on it. So here it is.

Loading Video...

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frytup

Unless I completely missed it, they didn't mention performance mode at all so... *shrug*. Still no idea what that does. It's possible the two modes are just required options for X1X-enhanced games, and there's no actual difference between the two in this case.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: I know. It seems pointless though, so yes, *shrug*.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By DharmaBum

Performance mode basically runs it the way a base Xbox One or S model would. You'd be viewing Red Dead at 720p again, so yeah, I don't see the purpose for it either.

When you play Enhanced Xbox 360 games on Xbox One X, you can now choose how to experience them—with enhanced graphics or in their original form. Enhanced graphics will be turned on by default, running your game with higher resolution, 9X the pixel count, increased texture details and antialiasing, allowing you to enjoy greater visual clarity than ever before. If you turn off the Graphics setting, the graphics will be comparable to the experience on Xbox One or Xbox One S.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/02/27/new-enhanced-xbox-360-titles-feature-come-xbox-one-backward-compatibility/

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@planetary: @ntm: In my mind the 4K version was what it originally looked like on the 360 so I was taken aback when I saw the two compared

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.