Granted, I am very late to the RE5 party but for 25 bucks I gave the PC version a shot. Somehow, this game just doesn't click for me, even though I really liked Dead Space. Let me run down my personal pros and cons:
- cut scenes
- character models
- Decent use of GTE
- Inventory management
- buy and upgrade system
- Enemy design
- The graphics (Screw HDR, I prefer my games colorful and saturated)
- Playing with my 360 pad, the controls feel awkward and slow
- The "puzzles" are a nuisance
- The backstory seems pretty convoluted (I never played a RE game before)
- "RESIDENT EVIL 5!" - You don't say?!
- The camera angle is too tight (I don't mind a low FOV in general, but RE5 feels zoomed in at all times)
I am currently at the mirror/laser room (Chapter 4, I think) and I really don't want to continue at this point. This whole "Indiana Jones" chapter seems completey out of place, given the (more or less) frantic action in the preceding chapters. And who is Chris Redfield anyway? Oh, right, I could just read through his boring text file. Gee thanks.
So far, I found the experience underwhelming. The characters are outstanding and I am looking forward to each new cutscene, but what's happening in between those is not all that good (especially compared to Dead Space). I feel that there is a great game hidden somewhere here, but it just doesn't come through for me, a rough diamond if you will. Unless the game picks up some serious steam, I am afraid I won't be finishing it, neither alone nor in Co-Op.