Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

In this multiplayer-focused shooter, the evil Umbrella Corporation and the U.S. Government clash in the hellish zombie-infested remains of Raccoon City in a battle for survival and control of the truth.

Some tips to help you realize how awesome ORC is

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By FightMeNerd

I know it sounds crazy probably but... damn it I have no other way of explaining my pure joy for this game. To be fair I hated it to begin with. In fact I thought about breaking the disc because of some frustration of bad game mechanics. The difference is I found myself playing it for 8 hours straight last night on professional and then played some multiplayer with 2 friends and I learned that I love this game.

Anyway if you already know this stuff good but for me and most of my friends it took someone telling us to figure it out.

• Melee specials - Each character has a melee special move. The basic melee is just the melee attack, if you press the interact button during the attack you will do a finishing move, though this leaves you open to attack. The best move though for tactical purposes is the special melee which is done by attacking then pressing the special ability button ( Y on default XB360 control) after an attack. So the medic will grow a herb out of an enemies chest making it so you can heal up your team, or if you are the field scientist you can inject the enemy and then they become infectious zombies that ONLY attack enemies. This is especially effective when there is no zombies and only spec ops.
    • Use Bertha's injection to run past tough levels. One of Bertha's injections can negate %90 damage for a couple seconds. When ever a level go too tough I would inject myself with it and then run to the next checkpoint and then die possibly so my entire team might restart from that check point. In fact I skipped most of the entire last mission by just running past all the enemies and jumping into the next area causing a cutscene. This only works on missions that don't have blockades or require you kill an enemy before advancing but there is a good chunk of these get to the checkpoint missions. Also use this ability when team mates go down. Even when your bleeding and surrounded by zombies they barely scratch you. FYI I think it might work with invincibility of lupo but i haven't tested it yet.

I'll post more tips when I get back from work but how about everyone here post tricks they have learned :]

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SlasherMan

So, how similar is this to L4D?

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FightMeNerd

I would say i like it better. The AI is terribad so only play online, preferably with a mic. The progression and classes really make it different but there is moments where a friend gets grabbed and you can save them but it's no where near as easy as it is in L4D. Ammo is everywhere and you can pick up random guns but most likely after you a buy a gun you will stick to that. No witty dialogue. Beltway can be pretty funny with the constant swearing and just being generally pissed off. Cool thing is the dialogue changes based on what characters go into a campaign with.

Not sure if it's for everyone and the learning controls is STEEP as hell. Took me 3 days to really get a good handle on the controls and they don't explain much of it, hence this topic.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Quarters

I literally went through the entire game without knowing how to do the melee specials...dang it. I thought the human shield move and the Spec Ops execution was all I had.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

So your tip to enjoy the game is to run past all the enemies as fast as you can?

Ok...

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrockNRolla

@BadNews said:

• Use Bertha's injection to run past tough levels. One of Bertha's injections can negate %90 damage for a couple seconds. ..... In fact I skipped most of the entire last mission by just running past all the enemies and jumping into the next area causing a cutscene.

Sounds like damn good game design.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

The only 'awesome' thing about ORC is that it's so bad it's very easy to game the system (like the whole running to the next checkpoint to completely avoid an entire combat scenario) and have some janky fun with friends. It's not a quality product in any way and there's no getting around the fact that this is a very shoddily made game. It's a novelty more than anything.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@BadNews: you forgot t tell people to throw pheromone bombs at people in multiplayer to get the enemy team stuck in doorways by zombies

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@Abyssfull said:

The only 'awesome' thing about ORC is that it's so bad it's very easy to game the system (like the whole running to the next checkpoint to completely avoid an entire combat scenario) and have some janky fun with friends. It's not a quality product in any way and there's no getting around the fact that this is a very shoddily made game. It's a novelty more than anything.

Depressing :(

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FightMeNerd

Cheating the game happens in almost all games. I ran past entire sections of enemies in mass effect 2 no problem. I ran past entire areas in dark souls, same in halo, call of duty, and many others. It's a tactic that can be used in almost any game that doesn't just turn into arena combat. Besides running past enemies is fun because it's difficult. Zombies slow you down and so do BOWs. Even spec ops can knife you for a combo. You just have to be really good at dodging huge groups of zombies which are everywhere and make it to the exit before it runs out. Not to mention that tactic is for emergencies. Most doors won't activate unless the entire living team makes it so it won't work unless everyone else is dead. Not to mention the doors sometimes have a really slow open so all that agro can chase you.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FightMeNerd

Can't edit from my phone. Sorry for double post. The reason that run is fun is because you get a bit freaked at the fact there is a limited defense boost. I had so much fun getting scared because a spec ops made me bleed during my run attracting the entire zombie population, yes I'm temporarily invincible but one good grab from a zombie and its over. Scary shit.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

@Enigma777 said:

So your tip to enjoy the game is to run past all the enemies as fast as you can?

Ok...

That sounds like Resident Evil to me.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FightMeNerd
    @MikkaQ not sure if you're joking but yeah I just realized how true that is... Even in resident evil 4 I ran past enemies and the chainsaw dudes just saying " please don't hit me, please don't hit me....."
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

@BadNews said:

@MikkaQ not sure if you're joking but yeah I just realized how true that is... Even in resident evil 4 I ran past enemies and the chainsaw dudes just saying " please don't hit me, please don't hit me....."

Well I'm kinda joking in this case since it's supposed to be a shooter, but pretty much every RE game I've played involved running past or away from zombies cause I didn't want to waste bullets and risk losing health. That didn't really apply in RE5 that much, guns, ammo and health seemed pretty plentiful.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bunnymud

Finally played co-op with someone that actually could play the game AND used their mic. Had a blast.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FightMeNerd

One thing for sure that is kind of shitty. The revive is terrible. I am constantly picking up the person's weapons trying to revive them in a panic. Anyone figure out any tricks to reviving successfully other than better positioning towards the body?

Noli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Noli
    @BadNews said:

One thing for sure that is kind of shitty. The revive is terrible. I am constantly picking up the person's weapons trying to revive them in a panic. Anyone figure out any tricks to reviving successfully other than better positioning towards the body?

I know that feel and I tried some different ways to revive but nothing good. 

Other thing is when you try to revive someone you are just standing, you can't move or anything while holding button which is piece of crap. One moment and you are dead. There is a mission when you fight two Titans and I was so pissed, so many vulgarisms went from my mouth in that fight because I just couldn't dodge those guys when I was trying to revive my teammates. You should know, when both of Titans are trying to kill you, you are fucked up. Cover system when you have to move towards a obstacle to cover, no crouch, no jump, no dodge, AI that's bullshit(sorry for that world - but you can't call that kind of AI bad) that's what is bad about that game. And what did I liked about game? Graphic design is fine, maps are ok, and everything in leveling system.
    FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FightMeNerd

@Noli: The trick to revive team mates during those moments is run behind a piece of cover. Mr. X only rushes when he has clear line of site, put a bus between you and him and it takes him a while to walk around the corner and spot you, then he starts the rush and by then you should be able to get a good revive or 2.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Barrock

The section where BOWs are literally raining from the skies... Man fuck that section. Is it even possible to kill everything? Or do you have to run away?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Quarters

@BadNews said:

Also, it isn't foolproof, but look directly at the body when you are reviving them, crosshairs and all. That'll usually give you the prompt easier and dodge their weapons. I agree, it's messed up, but I had less issues when I did that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.