Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rift

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 01, 2011

RIFT is a free-to-play fantasy MMORPG, developed by Trion Worlds.

One million accounts registered

louis0nfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By louis0nfire

"Trion Worlds announced today that more than one million accounts have been created to date."

Pretty amazing. If only half of those accounts actually play now that beta is over, 500k is a big number. Game is so polished and Trion is so willing to fix things on the fly and try new stuff out. Head start begins today!

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

It's great to see this, but I think we've seen plenty of MMO's that were polished and working and still lost subscribers. I give it a couple of months or until Star Wars the Old Republic comes out. If not that then when World of Warcraft releases a new expansion.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Didn't Warhammer Online sell over a million copies in the first month?  Now if Rift can sell half that and hold on to half of that then hopefully this game will be a success.

louis0nfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By louis0nfire
    @ImpendingFoil
    Didn't Warhammer Online sell over a million copies in the first month?  Now if Rift can sell half that and hold on to half of that then hopefully this game will be a success.
    Nope
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Seems a lot of people want this to become the next WoW purely to spit on Blizzard.  I'm still waiting for a great FPS MMO or I guess a third person.  Like WH40k.    
    louis0nfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By louis0nfire
    @sins_of_mosin It's pretty much the opposite.
    louis0nfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By louis0nfire
    @sins_of_mosin BTW, try Fallen Earth. It's like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but 3rd person and MMO form.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Louis0nFire said:
    " @sins_of_mosin It's pretty much the opposite. "
    The opposite of what?
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Louis0nFire said:
    " @sins_of_mosin BTW, try Fallen Earth. It's like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but 3rd person and MMO form. "
    Fallen Earth was crap. Played a month and it was like they where trying to much at once. 
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pinworm45

AOC got 1 million sales. Nothing special.

louis0nfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By louis0nfire
    @JJWeatherman The opposite of what the Rift community wants. The people who played the 7 betas and pre-ordered are playing because they love the game, not because they expect it to surpass WoW.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Warhammer had something like 2.5 million players when it launched, it now stands at around 35,000.  

Just by saying "Were not in Azeroth anymore" leads me to think they want to go head on with Wow which will just end badly.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By YoungFrey

The Rift marketing certainly isn't doing anything to pretend it's not gunning for WoW.  My comics are littered with "You're not in Azeroth anymore" adds.I hear a lot of the fun of Rift is that the speccing system iis so complicated nobody knows what the "best" one is.So it's not liek WoW where you will get bullied into picking one.  However I expect that if Rift had millions of players enough theorycrafting and simulating would take place to hammer the math down.Let's hope that doesn't happen too soon.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Louis0nFire said:
    " @ImpendingFoil
    Nope "
    Yes it did. It sold a little over a million within a month and had almost as many registered accounts.

And like all press releases (Blizzard is guilty of it too fyi), the numbers are a bit inflated. It includes beta accounts even if they didn't purchase the game. So for all we know, it could have around 500k actual subs even though a million accounts are registered.

Also for the record, the Rift community is hilarious to me. I'm not hating on the game, but as much as that community gives WoW shit, they sure do talk about it a lot. I don't care what anyone says, if you really hate something, you don't spend hours talking about it.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By cornbredx
    @YoungFrey said:
    " ...I hear a lot of the fun of Rift is that the speccing system iis so complicated nobody knows what the "best" one is.... "
    This is the biggest thing these days I hate about MMOs. People forcing me to play a specific spec because they think it's the best. I keep quitting MMOs lately because of this.

I may stop playing healers and just starting playing DPS from now on. I dont know. It really takes the fun out of play for me though.

As for Rift, I don't know anything about it other than what people are saying. I may check it out at same point, if nothing else it will be another MMO I have played.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mikemcn
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Louis0nFire said:
    " @sins_of_mosin BTW, try Fallen Earth. It's like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but 3rd person and MMO form. "
    Fallen Earth was crap. Played a month and it was like they where trying to much at once.  "
    So damn janky too... some good ideas though. 
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Louis0nFire said:
    " @PrimeSynergy lol u mad "
    ...que?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Louis0nFire said:
    " @JJWeatherman The opposite of what the Rift community wants. The people who played the 7 betas and pre-ordered are playing because they love the game, not because they expect it to surpass WoW. "
    OK, I get what you're saying, but loving a game is not the opposite of spite towards Blizzard or Wow.
    louis0nfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By louis0nfire
    @JJWeatherman: I know, I just haven't seen any of the spite towards WoW that some of you are talking about, and I've been in the betas, on the forums, and listening to podcasts for over a month.
    dozerking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By dozerking

Yeah, not sure why every Fantasy themed MMO community needs to constantly bring up WoW on their forums...it's ridiculous. Played a ton of Rift in the betas, liked it, but it's just too similar to WoW for me. I'm done with WoW and the last thing I want is something similar.  A completely new setting would be damn nice. The Old Republic looks like the only MMO i'll jump into at this point, and maybe Jumpgate Evolution, if that ever sees the light of day.  

...then again, I'm starring at the STEAM Store page and it's telling me to  buy Rift and play now....it' is friggin' temping. Then I remember, I have the Witcher to get through before the sequel comes out, and of course, Dragon Age 2 coming. Oh, can't forget about Crysis 2 and W40K expansion pack..too many games that I won't play if I jump into RIft

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I was referring to the Blizzard forums as all the QQ'ers say they'll go to Rift or the people doing account suicide are saying Rift this Rift that.    
    EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EgoCheck616
    @Louis0nFire said:
    " @PrimeSynergy lol u mad "
    And this is where you lost me. 
    Congratulations on destroying your own thread.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Wow, that seems like a great start. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

A new game selling over a million copies in its first month?  No way!!! 

When the three and four month mark has passed, let us know how the subscriptions are going.  I'll be impressed around that point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.