Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

A follow up to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot. After the events of the previous game, Lara spends one year searching to explain what she saw. Her quest to explain immortality leads her to Siberia, home of a mythical city known as Kitezh.

Baba Yaga DLC is OK, if far too brief.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

This is the second of three DLC releases for the superb Rise of The Tomb Raider, and while it's certainly a step up from the disappointingly shallow Endurance Mode, it's just so damn short and of a much smaller scale than I was hoping. Even though it advertises itself as ''3 hours of new content!'', it's probably more like 90 minutes. 2 hours at most, I guess. I don't want to get too granular about it, though, and what's more important is whether those whatever many hours are enjoyable. And they are!... For the most part.

The DLC can easily be separated into three chunks. The first part has you meet with a Remnant lady called Nadia, who asks you to search for her grandad in the nearby 'Wicked Vale', who got lost there after hoping to avenge his wife after she was murdered by the Baba Yaga witch. Upon entering the place, however, you're poisoned by flower pollen and then undergo a trip of the psychological horror variety. The trailer for the DLC already shows off all of what this entails, with you notably following the hallucination of your dad through some spooky woods, before engaging in a bit of arena combat against some demon wolves.

Once that's done you then head back to the soviet installation to collect stuff to craft an antidote. This part's pretty dull as you simply have to explore the caves of the area to find some plants, and must then kill a couple deer.

Then it's back to the vale, which you're to first solve a clever little puzzle involving pulleys and lifts to travel higher up the area. From there you're basically at the end boss of the thing, which is definitely the highlight. Despite packing some extra antidote, Lara of course inadvertently loses it and so has to fight the witch amidst all of the trippy horror hallucinations. It involves the witch hovering about in a cauldron looking thing, while you have to shoot some rope at her to pull her towards one of the geysers to deal damage. As the fight progresses you'll have to leap across floating platforms and fight off crazed trinity soldiers, though they're literally just the Deathless from the main game but of a different appearance. The fight itself is simple and really easy, but the visual effects on display are creepy and unsettling enough to stand out. Once you've beaten the boss... well, that's it. You unlock a new bow that trades your poison gas arrows for some of the hallucinogenic pollen, and also unlock an outfit that dresses you up as the witch herself. The costume is a beast, though I haven't tried out the pollen on any enemies yet.

It's fun for the most part, with the psychological hallucinations making for the best part of the whole deal. Problem is is that it feels like it's over in a flash, and the middle portion that has you collecting antidote ingredients is pretty uninspired to say the least. There's no new proper cutscenes either, and what passes for cutscenes are clearly using canned animations--bad ones at that--as opposed to motion capture. The story behind it is whatever, with a painfully obvious 'twist' that just about anyone should be able to figure out after only reading one or two of the audio files you can find. They didn't even give the grandfather character a unique model either, as he's clearly just a generic Remnant guy but with grey hair.

It's all just an awful lot more smaller scale than I was expecting. I had hopes there'd be like a whole new area to potentially explore, but what the DLC encompasses basically is some visual effects, a single puzzle, and a boss battle. It's £8/$12(?), so I guess with that in mind it's my own fault for setting my expectations a little too high. I just enjoyed the game so much (completed it twice) that I was left wanting more by the end. And as of now the DLC hasn't done a good job in satiating such desires. I can't imagine the third and final DLC will be much to write home about either, which sounds like a sort of combat arena most likely akin to what was found in this DLC.

Also, I kinda don't have much use for the new bow and outfit. I was considering starting over again, though you unlock the bow after beating the DLC as opposed to it unlocking from the outset. So, it's not like I could start over complete with the outfit and bow available. Though it doesn't seem like it'd take too long for it to open up.

Yeah, it's fun, just... best know what you're getting into. It'd probably have worked better as another mission set within the full game, as heading back to it after a short while only for it to take up 90 or so minutes felt a bit anticlimactic.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

*baba yaga

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Ye, this is why I wasn't really interested in the (£20) season pass. Thanks for biting the bullet and giving us a review.

I don't think high expectations for an £8 bit of DLC is wrong. The current Amazon price for this on XBOne means that's more than a quarter of the price of the base game. Is this a quarter of the new areas, cut-scenes, and systems of the base game? Definitely not. So it seems like a cash-grab, something to prey on completionist tendencies and the desire for more rather than providing anything like equivalent value to buying a different game or the value of buying the base game.

Look at it another way, the previous game has regularly been on sale for under £4 so this DLC was priced at the same cost as giving a full copy of the last game to two friends and then spending a few hours chatting to them about it. Or, looking forward, this base game is likely also going to come down in price and so that cash will probably pay to give away copies of this game to friends who would otherwise miss it.

It all seems a bit too openly exploitative. Especially as DLC doesn't get nearly the review coverage to inform people before they buy (as season passes are pushed even harder than pre-orders, "sign up now or you'll pay more to buy it piecemeal").

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

Thanks for the information. I was hoping it'd be a little more substantial, but that sounds like what I expected it'd be.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man this has nothing to do with jhon wick :C

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa: Hmm, I guess when you put it like that it seems fair to judge the DLC so harshly when it comes to its value. Especially considering how high quality the likes of Bloodborne's Old Hunters DLC is, which is only £4 more.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well this makes me feel better about passing on up on the season pass for now. Thanks @yummylee, I appreciate your coverage!

For whatever DLC seems to be very rarely covered by the gaming review site circuit

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I bought the season pass and didn't even know that mission was DLC when I wandered into it. I can't disassociate Ashly Burch from Chloe, so it was pretty weird to hear her in Tomb Raider.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@darkvare: John Wick DLC would be pretty good in Tomb Raider. Needs Theon and fake Rade Serbedzija though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.