Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

A follow up to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot. After the events of the previous game, Lara spends one year searching to explain what she saw. Her quest to explain immortality leads her to Siberia, home of a mythical city known as Kitezh.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 360: Any good? Did you know it exists?

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Was in a Target today and saw Rise of the Tomb Raider for 360. With all the talk of this being an Xbox One exclusive I thought surely I must be hallucinating but sure enough it was released on 360. I don't remember ever hearing anyone from Microsoft or Square mention this version of the game at all and don't remember seeing anything in any marketing that said it was also on 360. Does anyone have it and if so does it run & play acceptably on the 360 or were their noticeable concessions made to get it to work on the 360?

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By bassguy

DF has looked at it briefly, and intends on doing a full breakdown. It's mentioned in the Xbox One RotTR performance analysis post: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-tech-analysis

Early thoughts seem to be "it's surprisingly good for a 360 port." You're obviously compromising on fidelity (and probably frame rate), but you're getting basically the exact same game. If that's all you've got, or you don't want to wait for the PC/PS4 versions, you're probably gonna be fine.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've played an hour of it and it's totally OK.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

GameSpot's got you covered, at least visually. I also had no idea it was on the 360.

Loading Video...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

It's very, very good. Definitely one of the best games of the year. I think there's some really neat puzzles in there, both in the optional tombs and on the main path. I'm not 100% sold on Re-re-reboot-Lara, but she's much better in this game. I was kinda put off by some of the ways Lara killed people in the first game, but I think I've made my peace with her being a murder machine. I feel like there's a ton of extended sequences with you efficiently clearing out rooms like some kind of spec ops assassin. The amount of murder-tools you get in the game is insane, but getting three kills with the bow in one shot is always really satisfying.

My only real problem is that the mystical elements in the end portion of the game feel almost identical to the last game, complete with climbing up a huge snowy structure. I wouldn't mind if they went a little more mystical in the next game. Throw us a T-Rex or a couple of centaurs mid-game or something.

Setpieces are very good, the visuals are stunning from start to end, and the slightly more open world with side missions is great. It's nice to see that Lara is almost the Lara from past games, but I wouldn't mind a little humour here and there.

edit - Oh I just realised this was a 360 thing... oh well.

marzz4967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I took a look at both the 360 version and the Xbox One version the other night.

The Xbox 360 version doesn't look as nice and doesn't have the fancy snow effects, and the cutscenes are pre-rendered and very compressed, but the game feels better to play. It's not at all noticeable if you play just the xbox one version, but if you switch between them, there's a very noticeable input lag on the Xbox One version that isn't there on the 360 version.

If you liked the way the previous Tomb Raider game looked on 360, you'll be okay with the way this one looks. It's probably the best down-port i've seen of a current gen game to previous gen. Dragon Age Origins, Black Ops 3, Far Cry 4, Advanced Warfare all looked like straight ass, but this game actually looks like it was made on 360 first then ported up to Xbox One. I'm not saying "If all you have is a 360 it'll have to do", but I am saying, the 360 version of this game is MORE than playable and graphics aside might be the more satisfying version of the game to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.