Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Risen 2: Dark Waters

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 24, 2012

The sequel to Piranha Bytes' action-RPG Risen. This time, there be pirates.

One of my sleeper favorites of 2012

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KevinK

I kinda am digging this game. Been a longtime fan of the Gothic series/Risen 1. I bought this game on Steam awhile back, just got around to playing it now and I like it. Don't know where all the "Risen 1 is better" stuff is coming from, because I think this game improves the Gothic/Risen formula in a lot of ways. Also, the pirate stuff is awesome and the writing (particularly the humor) really hits its stride.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

I just came here to tell you that your profile picture is amazing. Well done sir.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By buft

Ive been dying to play it for a while now, when it came out it looked really interesting but combination of price and poor revies put me off a bit but ive seen a few cheap places to buy it now and i think my mind is made up, i need to play one good pirate RPG in my life

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

I enjoyed it a lot too. It's among my favorites this year as well. It does some very unique things and some very flawed things. Generally I feel it is the best Gothic/ Risen game since the glory Gothic 1 & 2 days. I quite liked Risen 1 and was just extremely glad the devs landed on their feet after the troubled Gothic 3 development and the beef with their ex-publisher but Risen 2 is a definite step forward in my opinion.

But I'm afraid exploring the old Gothic formula again and again without a serious change in philosophy isn't going to get them a new or bigger audience. I love what Piranha Bytes continues to do but it's binding them to a niche. Something about the free-form progression with oldschool systems and gameplay and a significant difficulty curve never reached the masses. It's unfortunate but I understand why there aren't more people enjoying that. I for one hope they can continue work in this direction and stay profitable. Only time will tell though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.