Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

RISK: Factions

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 23, 2010

Humans, Felines, Robots, Zombies, and Yeti collide in the 2010 downloadable adapation of the classic board game Risk.

Classic Mode Options?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Example1013

I know a lot of people have probably just gone for the new modes, but I'm a salty old Risk player, and I want to be able to just play Risk with my friends. To be honest if I could find Risk II somewhere legitimate I'd have already bought that game and would be playing right now instead of creating this thread. But basically, I want to know how the rule options in Classic Mode compare to what was available in Risk II (same-time, capitol, extra optional inter-continent connections, extra territories, different ways of assigning territory, etc.). I'd also like to know how many players and AI can be in a match at the same time. I know there's a 4-player limit, and that's somewhat disappointing, but I'd still be somewhat interested if the game accomodated 4 players plus a couple extra AI.

Anyone have this info available?

gadbury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By gadbury

@Example1013 said:

I know a lot of people have probably just gone for the new modes, but I'm a salty old Risk player, and I want to be able to just play Risk with my friends.

Same here, that's why I bought Risk: Factions, because I wanted the classic game on PS3.

@Example1013 said:

I want to know how the rule options in Classic Mode compare to what was available in Risk II (same-time, capitol, extra optional inter-continent connections, extra territories, different ways of assigning territory, etc.). I'd also like to know how many players and AI can be in a match at the same time. I know there's a 4-player limit, and that's somewhat disappointing, but I'd still be somewhat interested if the game accomodated 4 players plus a couple extra AI.

There is very little customisation of the classic Risk rules in Risk: Factions.

You can choose whether initial troop deployment at the start of the game is manual or random. That is it, really.

Up to five players is possible. I can definitely play with four additional AI players. AI players can be removed one by one before the game starts. Human players can join but it appears they need their own controller to join up. I played a game last night; myself, my brother on another controller, and two AI players. The fifth (AI) player was removed deliberately. I don't know how the online part of the game works.

The rules in place are the U.S rules. I'd like the option to change to the European rules - I miss the secret missions and card trade-in rules that I am accustomed to. For example, troop deployment in this version uses ascending card trade-in values (4 additional reinforcements, then 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 30, etc.), while the European version uses set card trade-in values (3 x Infantry = 4 troops, 3 x Cavalry = 6 troops, 3 x Cannon = 8 troops, One of each = 10 troops).

I am disappointed with the lack of customisation options for classic Risk. For this reason, I would recommend you try to get a copy of Microprose's Risk II.

EDIT: I put a post up on the official forums of this game: http://forum.playfish.com/showthread.php?t=2759722

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.