Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

RISK: Factions

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 23, 2010

Humans, Felines, Robots, Zombies, and Yeti collide in the 2010 downloadable adapation of the classic board game Risk.

So, the Giantbomb crew is interested in playing Risk.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mason20

After hearing on the Last Unprofessional Friday(11-14-14) that some of the crew were up for playing Risk. That leads me to my question to the community. Would you prefer they play the Board Game and if so which one? Or, would you rather them play the Video game version of Risk and again which would you suggest?

Personally I think I'd like the board game version for the length but Risk Factions is one of my personal Favourite Risk variations.

I tried making a poll but... So, would you prefer Risk: Board Game or Risk: Video Game?

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Akyho
    No Caption Provided

THERE IS ONLY ONE RISK FOR DAN RYCKERT!

Might have to have Drew take another holiday as spoilers abound maybe....

No Caption Provided

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Aetheldod

@akyho: D: by the beard of Big Boss that thing is real???? Awesomemest thing ever!!!!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Definitely the board game. Get that Unplugged train rollin'.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho: D: by the beard of Big Boss that thing is real???? Awesomemest thing ever!!!!

Not sure about now, but I remember trying to get my hands on it when it came out, I never did it sold out instantly everywhere and now im just afraid to look for it since it probably costs a million drebin points now.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho: Welp.. It may be early but I think we have our winner! It may pain me to say but seeing this! I wouldn't have it any other way!

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was also a Halo version, I think. Rarity is probably a factor here.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CheapPoison
    No Caption Provided

If one is going to subject himself to risk....
    For the love of god, at least take risk legacy.

Cool Sci-fi theme and choices and games that start to matter and compile ontop of eachother make this actually interesting.
    I will admit that lots of the cool things will come into play on more playthroughs. (Continents being taken out of the game by nuclear winter, I think remembering you take talents or powers.)

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FateOfNever

If they have zero experience with Risk they're probably best off playing plain old regular Risk. If they have experience with it then I'm a fan of the Future Risk or Gods Risk versions (the names of which escape me at the moment.)

Edit: Risk 2210 and Risk Godstorm.

GeneralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

Cool Sci-fi theme and choices and games that start to matter and compile ontop of eachother make this actually interesting.

I will admit that lots of the cool things will come into play on more playthroughs. (Continents being taken out of the game by nuclear winter, I think remembering you take talents or powers.)

Risk Legacy would only be interesting if they play all 25 games. Just doing one would be awful. I've got an ongoing game of Risk Legacy with two friends, we're only on game 5.

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved RISK: Factions but ran out of people to play with, you can still find the odd game online but i do miss playing this game a lot.

GeneralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I loved RISK: Factions but ran out of people to play with, you can still find the odd game online but i do miss playing this game a lot.

I played a lot of it with my friend but frequent crashes and loss of progress ruined the game after a few days, not much point in starting a game if you'll more than likely not be able to finish it :-/

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Something weird, Risk is a good formulaic idea but it's just super dull in its traditional format. I realize that Fortune Street was amazing but part of that was not knowing who was going to win for most of it, in Risk you can pretty much figure that out in the first 30 minutes to an hour barring extraordinarily bad dice rolls, it just takes forever to get there.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Something weird, Risk is a good formulaic idea but it's just super dull in its traditional format. I realize that Fortune Street was amazing but part of that was not knowing who was going to win for most of it, in Risk you can pretty much figure that out in the first 30 minutes to an hour barring extraordinarily bad dice rolls, it just takes forever to get there.

Agreed.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Risk Legacy is very cool, but I think it would be ill suited for this sort of format. These guys will not keep up with it, and the game takes some time to get interesting.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've never played Risk.

i don't know how that happened.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By csl316

No Caption Provided

Yeah, came here to say this.

They're basically playing Mario Party Legacy right now, why not add another serialized competition in the mix?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Belegorm

@fredchuckdave: But boy are those extraordinarily bad dice rolls are so good! Nothing like holding Egypt with 5 armies successfully against 20.

I think they should definitely play the original Risk, particularly if they can get an original copy in decent condition. Chances are some of them have never played it before so seeing the game in the purest form would be best IMHO.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By BisonHero

@somberowl said:

@fredchuckdave said:

Agreed.

Yep, Risk is fundamentally an incredibly dull game. You can tell it was designed a millenium ago because, like Monopoly, the game designers didn't put any safeguards in the original rules to actually make the game finish within 90-120 minutes. So instead it goes on for 6 hours. I'm fine with long board games, as long as they have a bunch of complexity and intricate things going on. But Risk isn't complex, it just takes a zillion turns for any sort of resolution to happen.

Risk: Legacy does its best to spice it up by adding random perks for the different factions, and has the cool idea that you permanently modify the board to reflect the "history" of all the games you've played with people on that board. Which is a super neat idea! Only they shouldn't have wasted that concept on fucking Risk.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rigas: $26 on eBay. Dirt cheap for a risk game

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By berniesbc
    Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see them play the board game on unplugged. We need more of those videos.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CheapPoison

@generalbison:

True, but i did mention it probably requires more plays.
    But I feel if you don't ,Risk is a horrible slog that is borderline torture.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Akyho

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.