Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

San Antonio Spurs

Concept »

The San Antonio Spurs are a professional basketball team that competes in the NBA.

Do you like the San Antonio Spurs?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll Do you like the San Antonio Spurs? (102 votes)

Yes 62%
    No 38%

So if y'all don't know, I live in Texas. 'San Antonio in fact. St. Mary's Oyster Bake rolls around every year, and its just annoying for like a couple of hours.

So Spurs. They just won the game against Miami, and they're now 3-2 in their series. They need that one game to win the NBA Finals this year. Duncan seems to be retiring soon. And.. You know, I just don't know enough about basketball to comment much on Parker and Ginobli. Uhm, Ginobli is pretty good. Kay, cool.

I know Miami payed a shit load for Bosh and James, and I think they lost last year with that. So this would be in theory the 2nd year with that.. Uhm, I don't really care if Miami wins?. I just like NBA Live.. I mean like I'm excited to maybe buy it this year,. So., cool shit EA.. That's my opinion on basketball: "Let's play some NBA Live."

So, yea. Do you actually care who wins any year?. As long as San Antonio doesn't win?. "I love Lakers?" Cool shit, but what's your opinion on the Spurs? You could hate em, its fine. Fucking NBA Live is the only thing that matters..

• 
    Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Flappy

As a salty Miami Heat fan, I absolutely despise the San Antonio Spurs. It'd be one thing if Tony Parker was killing us with his crazy midrange game/drives to the basket or if Duncan was abusing Bosh/Birdman like they stole something, but noooooooo.

MOTHERFUCKING DANNY GREEN IS KILLING THE HEAT.

The fact that Manu Ginobli's corpse showed up and kicked ass doesn't make things much better, either. If Danny Green gets Finals MVP (He's playing like one right now), I think my heart might explode inside of my chest. No, but really...Fuck Danny Green for the shenanigans he's pulling off. For the sake of D-Wade's third ring, I really hope Miami goes absolutely bananas and wins two straight at home. I mean, they have to, right? Right.

Oh, and Miami totally won the Championship last year, so you must be referring to the 2011 Collapse where Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, and J.J. Barea took turns shitting on Miami's defense/lack of actual, y'know, team synergy. As far as NBA Live goes, I've never actually played a game in the series, but I always heard that they were pretty arcadey. If EA manages to put together a better game than 2k, then good for them. Lord knows 2k needs some competition so they can make actual forward progress.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I dislike the Heat more.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't like the San Antonio Spurs, but I actively dislike the Miami Heat. And since I am a fellow Texan, I would rather root for a Texas team in a competition even if I'm not really a big fan of them. Thus, I hope the Miami Heat lose. And if that means there gets to be a parade somewhere in Texas, then that's fine and dandy.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

God, this post is great.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By jiggajoe14

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I loved the Spurs for being the doorstops against the Lakers during the 1st half of the previous decade and I am a huge fan of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and watching a Greg Poppovich team (the best X's & O's coach I'll probably see in my lifetime). Spurs went from a slow-paced defensive juggernaut to a dominating offensive force that spreads the floor and emphasizes getting in the paint and kicking out for open 3's (emphasizing my personal favorite shot: the corner 3). So yeah I love watching the Spurs.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'm a Lakers fan through and through. Disappointed and angry that they're kind of sucking lately. I also live in Texas and my buddy is rubbing the Spurs in my face. I don't really have any hate for them, though. They're a good team. Same with the Heat.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No Caption Provided

Fuck the Heat.

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can someone translate that op for me?

afjkidd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to hate the Spurs, but they have grown on me over the years. I wouldn't root for Miami no matter who they played, so hopefully the Spurs put an end to them soon. I like the professionalism and humility that the Spurs show (unlike their opponent).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@jaydee said:

can someone translate that op for me?

Translation:

"Do you like the NBA franchise known as the San Antonio Spurs? I live in San Antonio and think they're cool, but I do not care for the Miami Heat or their big stars. Also, I like NBA Live."

...Though I'm honestly not sure how anyone could like NBA Live.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@hailinel: I don't know dude. They're just games. You buy one. They'll both get 8.0's somewhere and they'll both have Obama celebrating with them in their championship reel. Confetti and sweat like a mothafucka up in this bitch. So much sweat in this foul replay.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

H-how can anyone not want Birdman to get a championship? I mean, look at him!

No Caption Provided

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@hailinel: I don't know dude. They're just games. You buy one. They'll both get 8.0's somewhere and they'll both have Obama celebrating with them in their championship reel. Confetti and sweat like a mothafucka up in this bitch. So much sweat in this foul replay.

There hasn't been an NBA Live game of any quality since the release of NBA Live 10 in 2009. That was four damn years ago. Maybe I'll buy one if EA actually manages to actually release a new one at some point.

Also, I love how the only information on NBA Live 10 of any note in the wiki is a soundtrack listing. Truly the highest priority information of any sports game is the knowledge of which licensed songs were included in the year's edition.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By churrific

They're probably the most humble team in the league, but I really really dislike them. Mostly because Duncan/Ginobili are two of the biggest whiners in the league right now, as well as Parker to a smaller extent. There are always one of two plays where they think a phantom foul's been called on them or should've been called for them, and they react with the best wide-eyed, soccer/oscar-like "wtf. I don't believe!" expressions you'll see in the league now. Although to be fair, it's a league-wide problem. With that said, I dislike Miami more.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I don't actively root for them but sure, they're a very likeable team. Also, fuck the Heat.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By MEATBALL

The Spurs are basically the only sports team I have any (irrational) hate for, which is rooted in my Dallas fandom and the various clashes the two teams have had over the years.

It's going to be tough for Miami to win two straight on the Spurs, even at home, it's definitely looking to me like a Spurs victory, which I'm not happy about. And yeah, I pay attention and care about who becomes NBA champion every year.

Also, NBA Live? Live sucked for like a decade or more before it was given a hiatus. NBA 2K is THE Basketball series and basically has been ever since it was first released on the Dreamcast. >_>

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really follow basketball, but I've lived in Houston for a large portion of my life, so clearly I can't be a Spurs fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm a laker fan, but I've always loved watching the Spurs they play so fundamentally sound basketball I've ever seen. Also Tim Duncan is just incredible to watch coming from a basketball perspective, I mean the guy is in the top 10, top 5 players of all time.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Jazzycola

Yep, I am. Though, I've never been a Ginobili fan as I feel his 12 million dollar a season contract should've been renegotiated(cut in half) a couple years ago. He's been rather wreckless and inconsistent the past 2 to 3 years. Sure he has his clutch moments, but if he was consistent I don't think those clutch moments would be needed.

@churrific: lol I'm sorry what? Tim Duncan a whiner...

Man every player has that face when they foul somebody. The "What do you mean I fouled?" face.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Spurs aren't my team, but since I can't stand the Heat, I'm fine with the Spurs winning.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike the Spurs, but I really hate the Heat. Therefore, I am a Spurs fan.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They do have the distinct advantage of not being the god damn Heat.

Avatar image for jediavenger1738
    jediavenger1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a fan of the Suns, I can say I hate the San Antonio Spurs.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07 So how about a fucking spoiler warning for those of us that have the game on our DVR?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Fuck the Spurs

Fuck the Heat

RIP Sonics

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck the Spurs

Fuck the Heat

RIP Sonics

We can at least take heart in the fact that the Thunder won't win shit.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@peasantabuse said:

Fuck the Spurs

Fuck the Heat

RIP Sonics

We can at least take heart in the fact that the Thunder won't win shit.

Haha, good point.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Spurs all the way man. I love their ball movement and unselfishness.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@hailinel said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

There hasn't been an NBA Live game of any quality since the release of NBA Live 10 in 2009. That was four damn years ago. Maybe I'll buy one if EA actually manages to actually release a new one at some point.

Also, I love how the only information on NBA Live 10 of any note in the wiki is a soundtrack listing. Truly the highest priority information of any sports game is the knowledge of which licensed songs were included in the year's edition.

I'd argue that you'd have to take it back to 2005 when talking about the last competent NBA Live game. NBA 2K5 changed everything, and it hasn't been a contest since.

And things could've gone the same way for NFL games had EA not bought out that license. Man, I'm not even a football fan, but NFL 2K5 was great.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#31  Edited By Slag

@blu3v3nom07

The Heat won the title last year man. They did lose to the Mavs in the finals the year before.

I respect the way the Spurs play and the team first ethos they embrace in a star driven league. Duncan may be the most under the radar Hall of Famer in basketball history. Parker and Ginobili aren't very big names despite their pretty huge accomplishments over their careers. And Poppovich has basically zero interest in personal glory or fame.

They are kind of like the Patriots of the NBA, but without Bill Belicheck's jerkiness or Tom Brady.

Still I'm indifferent to them. I mean it's NBA. It's boring compared to March Madness.

What does this have to do with NBA Live?

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I'm a Golden State fan, so if the Spurs win the Finals, the Warriors were barely stopped by the champions.
    And Stephen Curry's ankles.
    And them leaving Manu wide open as anyone could be to shoot a game winning three.

So go Spurs, just please lose game 6 for job reasons.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I considered them to be the Lakers greatest adversary during the Shaq/Kobe era, so I've always had a lot of respect for them. I live in Los Angeles, so I'm a Lakers fan, but I think it's hard not to like the Spurs. I really hope they win the Finals. They truly deserve it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By ajamafalous

Wait.

You're here to talk about NBA teams, but you don't even know that this is the Heat's third straight finals? They lost in 2011 to the Mavs, and they beat OKC last year. You don't seem very qualified to be talking about this, in all honesty.

That being said, I lived in Houston my whole life until I moved to Austin four years ago. The answer is no, I fucking hate the Spurs. They're probably my second-to-least-favorite NBA team behind the Lakers. I don't like Tim "I always have a surprised and lost look on my face at all fucking times" Duncan. I don't like Manu Ginobili. I don't like Tony Parker.

I really like the Heat and have since The Big Three arrived. LeBron is one of my favorite (and obviously one of the best ever) basketball players, and I like D Wade as well (I could give or take Chris Bosh and Ray Allen). I'll obviously always like and support the Rockets since I'm from Houston, but their roster has been varying levels of a joke for the last few years (at least they're super young and improving).

I don't know if it's just nostalgia, the 24-hour news cycle and increased reporting leading to us hearing about everyone, or whether so much more talent has entered the league to the point that it's mostly a level playing field now, but I miss the NBA of the 90s. There aren't that many HUGE superstars that everyone holds a reverence for like there were back then. Sure, there are a lot of good and great players from the last decade, but there were a bunch of dudes in the 90s that were just on a whole other level.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone knows the Raptors are the greatest team in basketball.

They suck, but hey. Their mascot and logo are the best in the league.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I loved the Spurs for being the doorstops against the Lakers during the 1st half of the previous decade and I am a huge fan of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and watching a Greg Poppovich team (the best X's & O's coach I'll probably see in my lifetime). Spurs went from a slow-paced defensive juggernaut to a dominating offensive force that spreads the floor and emphasizes getting in the paint and kicking out for open 3's (emphasizing my personal favorite shot: the corner 3). So yeah I love watching the Spurs.

Pretty much my feeling. Love the way Gregg Popovich puts together a team

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By churrific

@jazzycola: Oh yeah. Everyone has that face. Lol, but Duncan's definitely one of the more notorious whiners. Just do a quick google search of "Tim Duncan whining", and you'll find a few pages discussing it. I remember "Duncan Face" was the best meme for this going back some years.

moffattron9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry but when the Celtics have a dude resting on a cane while spinning a basketball and smoking a pipe, basketball playing dinosaur has nothing on that.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the San Antonio Spurs. Never been to Texas, as Im from Norway, but I've supported them since I was nine years old, back in the early David Robinson years =)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, the Raptors are supposedly looking into changing their name.

physics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By physics

I love the Spurs. I even went to see them beat the Mavs this season. I hope they can win in game 6 and bring home the trophy.

It is nice to see the city excited about something. The Spurs are all San Antonio has; they don't have any football, baseball, or hockey teams.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: It's just a Chris Bosh caricature from when he was their franchise player.

Zeeco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knicks fan here. Considering I just want the Heat to lose, yeah, I guess I'd say I like the Spurs.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

As a salty Miami Heat fan, I absolutely despise the San Antonio Spurs. It'd be one thing if Tony Parker was killing us with his crazy midrange game/drives to the basket or if Duncan was abusing Bosh/Birdman like they stole something, but noooooooo.

MOTHERFUCKING DANNY GREEN IS KILLING THE HEAT.

The fact that Manu Ginobli's corpse showed up and kicked ass doesn't make things much better, either. If Danny Green gets Finals MVP (He's playing like one right now), I think my heart might explode inside of my chest. No, but really...Fuck Danny Green for the shenanigans he's pulling off. For the sake of D-Wade's third ring, I really hope Miami goes absolutely bananas and wins two straight at home. I mean, they have to, right? Right.

Oh, and Miami totally won the Championship last year, so you must be referring to the 2011 Collapse where Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, and J.J. Barea took turns shitting on Miami's defense/lack of actual, y'know, team synergy. As far as NBA Live goes, I've never actually played a game in the series, but I always heard that they were pretty arcadey. If EA manages to put together a better game than 2k, then good for them. Lord knows 2k needs some competition so they can make actual forward progress.

My sentiments exactly! Danny Green doing us Miamians a disservice.

And hell! What happened to Birdman last game?. He should be in there bangin in the paint! Best pick-n-roll player honestly! C'mon SPO!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@turtlebird95 said:

Actually, the Raptors are supposedly looking into changing their name.

If it isn't dinosaur related I will lose all hope in the NBA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patoday:

I was honestly never a huge Bosh fan. I loved the Raptors back when I was a kid because (A) A raptor as a mascot is badass and (B) Vince Carter was like my idol.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try being in my shoes. I live a couple hours north of San Antonio, am a Native Texan, and HATE the Spurs!!!! I went to get a bag of ice from the store earlier wearing my Heat cap, and hardly anyone would even make eye contact, lol.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95:

Oh they definitely have a great mascot. I'm in Boston where we have a guy who dresses up like a leprechaun and does acrobatics during the game, it's entertaining but it's no Raptor. I don't know why they would consider changing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.